How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Soldato
1x pi4 running HA booting from SSD
1x pi4 running Pi OS and currently not doing anything. I was going to look at setting up a Proxmox HA cluster with the two pi4's but i think i'd need another SSD/adapter to make it work.
1x pi1 running pihole as a backup DNS server
1x pi1 also sat idling

Soldato
1x pi4 running HA booting from SSD
1x pi4 running Pi OS and currently not doing anything. I was going to look at setting up a Proxmox HA cluster with the two pi4's but i think i'd need another SSD/adapter to make it work.
1x pi1 running pihole as a backup DNS server
1x pi1 also sat idling

What's HA?

Soldato
What is the best way to backup a Pi's OS once fully setup?

I want to setup a Plex server on a Pi 4 and boot from a USB SSD... Then I want to add an external HDD for all the media?

If there is an SSD failure, what's the best way to get back up and running? If the Pi failed I'd just plug everything into a new Pi and be up and running again.

But I'd rather try and avoid setting up the HDD again mounting it, installing Plex etc

Associate
What is the best way to backup a Pi's OS once fully setup?

I want to setup a Plex server on a Pi 4 and boot from a USB SSD... Then I want to add an external HDD for all the media?

If there is an SSD failure, what's the best way to get back up and running? If the Pi failed I'd just plug everything into a new Pi and be up and running again.

But I'd rather try and avoid setting up the HDD again mounting it, installing Plex etc
Download Win32DiskImager and use that to do the backup. However a better choice is arguably PiSafe for that as it will also compress the backup image, so the backup doesn't include empty space on the source Micro SD card/drive.

https://github.com/richardmidnight/pi-safe

Soldato
Download Win32DiskImager and use that to do the backup. However a better choice is arguably PiSafe for that as it will also compress the backup image, so the backup doesn't include empty space on the source Micro SD card/drive.

PiSafe looks great. Thanks very much.

Anybody know the best way to then securely send that compressed image to another Pi that's off-site?

Associate
PiSafe looks great. Thanks very much.

Anybody know the best way to then securely send that compressed image to another Pi that's off-site?
:)

Are you looking to transfer it or send it on physical media? You could add it to a VeraCrypt file container, or use AES Crypt to encrypt the file. Even 7-Zip will encrypt a file with AES-256 if you change from the default of ZipCrypto.

Personally I use Cryptomator and Veracrypt :)

Soldato
:)

Are you looking to transfer it or send it on physical media? You could add it to a VeraCrypt file container, or use AES Crypt to encrypt the file. Even 7-Zip will encrypt a file with AES-256 if you change from the default of ZipCrypto.

Personally I use Cryptomator and Veracrypt :)

Send over the internet

Associate
Four. I've been using them like giant microcontrollers.

Raspberry Pi 1 Model A: Controls a bunch of lights around the house (RGB of course). It's inside the metal box on the wall on the left of the pic.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: Monitors some temperature/pressure/humidity sensors inside and outside the house, and displays them on a small screen.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+: Controls an electronic load (a bit of equipment used for things like testing PSUs).

And another Raspberry Pi 1 Model A that's languishing in a box.

Soldato

So I tried Pi Safe and it's not as I thought (unless I'm doing it wrong)

I have to remove the SD Card from the Pi, place it in another Pi and backit up to a destination device, USB, other SD Card, etc.

I thought it took the SD card that was in the Pi itself and made a compressed image and then you could transfer that image somewhere else.

Associate
So I tried Pi Safe and it's not as I thought (unless I'm doing it wrong)

I have to remove the SD Card from the Pi, place it in another Pi and backit up to a destination device, USB, other SD Card, etc.

I thought it took the SD card that was in the Pi itself and made a compressed image and then you could transfer that image somewhere else.
Yes, you have to remove the SD card from the Pi and place it in another. If you want a solution that doesn't involve another Pi, I can ony suggest Win32DiskImager, but that AFAIK also images the empty space on the source MicroSD card. PiSafe removes the empty space from the backup and after restoring it, you'd use Gparted or similar to resize the partition again.

Soldato
Another thing I'm looking to do is take a secondary Pi and hook that up to my Pi 4 running NextCloud.

Is Kubernetees what I should be looking at? - At first glance that just appears to be splitting load across nodes.

All I'm looking to do is have a fail-over incase one Pi/SDCard fails, then my NextCloud instance doesn't go offline.

Associate
Another thing I'm looking to do is take a secondary Pi and hook that up to my Pi 4 running NextCloud.

Is Kubernetees what I should be looking at? - At first glance that just appears to be splitting load across nodes.

All I'm looking to do is have a fail-over incase one Pi/SDCard fails, then my NextCloud instance doesn't go offline.
I am sure there are a lot of people with more knowledge in this area than me, but my initial thought was proxmox.

Soldato
I currently have 4..
1) RPi 3B+ In a Retroflag Superpi Case for Arcade/console emulation.
2) RPi4 2Gb Home built arcade cab for Arcade Emulation.
3) RPi 3B To be used for Octopi for my 3D Printer.
4) RPi1 Somewhere in the house, might find it some day.

Oh and a PiZero and ZeroW about not being used currently.

Associate
I've got a Pi 2B (I think) with OSMC on it. We use it for media such as YouTube, Plex, Netflix, Disney etc on the TV.

I've also got a Pi Zero W I'm going to set up as a hardware monitor for my PC

Soldato
Was bored the other day and had a space Pi3 so made a mobile TV receiver so you can watch TV via your mobile in the middle of a field "like you do"

uuuuuu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom