I bought another wreck... not a Honda?! - Project!!

Transmission breaker
Don
Year 2000, Japanese, 599cc, 4cylinder, carbed with nearly 100hp in MANY bits and pieces...

Previous owner bought it from a guy had it as a garage queen. He rode it for a little while, but found it was a little off when wet outside, perfect when dry. Spluttery/backfiring with a big flat spot when raining

He rode it anyway, chucked it down the road at 15mph once, then decided to pull it to bits and leave it in his garage. He suspected it had slipped timing so was planning to swap the engine.

However as he is petrified of spiders and didn't want to get close to them, or touch them, he preferred to sell it to me in bits for £180. Provided I moved it out of the garage for him to avoid getting close to spiders.

He seems like a really nice chap, but just not mechanically minded, or switched on about maintenance/troubleshooting bikes. (Like me really :D)

So what is it?

Pics to follow!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
All will be revealed if you scroll down a few pics, or keep looking at the top three pics if you wish to keep guessing :D

zx6r001.jpg

Here is it in the "Van" as it arrived home!

zx6r002.jpg

Out, and in the garage, working out where I am going to put it, and where to move the other bikes to...

Some fairings:

zx6r003.jpg

zx6r004.jpg

So its a 2000 ZX6R, also known as a ZX600-J1

It has some compression, tested cold, so I believe this will go up when warm :) (also, I tested the first cylinder with the paper bungs still in!! Oops, no damage..)

zx6r005.jpg

zx6r007.jpg

I tested them all, and they were somewhere between 125 and 150, but I also think my compression tester was not tight enough to maintain any higher, as it can be a little hard to undo it from the spark plug holes if I tighten it up too much. It splits, and the small adaptor becomes a pain to remove. So I am always on the cautious side. I am confident they are all over 150 when warm, and snugged up. So it should run well enough if the manual is to be believed.

zx6r013.jpg

As it stands, and I have a load of boxes of bits:

The front mudguard was removed with a hammer (not by me, I must stress!!), because some bolts were rounded, and apparently that's the way to do it...

zx6r014.jpg

Some carbs, will give these a clean before they go back on proper.

zx6r015.jpg

Sprockets and chain were new apparently, not long ago..

zx6r016.jpg

A bent key, some bars, wiring loom, and not a lot else:

zx6r017.jpg

An engine - spark yet to be tested!

zx6r018.jpg

Manifold seemed to come off with little problem, so nothing needing heli-coiling or welding to put right.

zx6r019.jpg

Bits and boxes

zx6r020.jpg

Exhaust

zx6r021.jpg

more bits!

zx6r022.jpg

Yet more bits....

zx6r023.jpg

Now, to move some bikes about so I can get to testing the engine, and work out if its worth chucking this one back in, or rebuilding/replacing it!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Not sure why anyone would think the motor had "slipped timing " because it run crap in wet weather.

The guy was not the most mechanically minded, and wanted me to help him replace his brake discs, as it was too complicated. So I think its safe to say he was in over his head, and perhaps used this as an excuse to just get rid of it cheaply (as it was in many bits!).

Slow progress at the moment, as my living room is mostly in the garage due to house refurbishment, and I have no room in there. Should be back on course by middle of next week. I want to see if I can get this one turned around before Christmas, then I can do my Hornet gearbox swap, and decide which two of the five are going up for sale in the spring!

In regards to plans. I have not painted fairings yet, so that's going to be on the cards, especially as I want to try fibreglass repair for the first time on these, and that means paint will be needed anyway. Will work out what colour schemes are do-able for a noob, or just make something up.

Only real progress so far is sticking the rear frame back on, and routing the cables a bit :)

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Ok, ok, slow progress at the moment...

Got the clocks and most of the loom working again Previously, they were turning on, but not cycling correctly/showing milage/etc:

Sorted...

Then managed to get the engine back into the frame, and connected up enough to run from my hanging fuel tank... Portrait video of fail:

So, lots more to do, but started a new job, and its taking up a lot of time, and I have neglected the bikes a little. But with the spring here, hopefully be able to turn this one around a little quicker now!

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Sold my Hornet, so the shed was free, so cleaned it out, moved it over, and started to sort through the bits:

Sitting ready to get poked and prodded:
zx6r024.jpg

Some of the larger bits, not needed quite yet:
zx6r025.jpg

I have no idea where any of this goes:
zx6r026.jpg

I mean, its almost a bike...
zx6r027.jpg

I have parts all over the place!
zx6r028.jpg

Hopefully I will start to make some actual progress now I have some space, and its all laid out and ready to start working on the puzzle...

Back
Top Bottom