Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Probably because the verge always give glowing reviews for iPhones :p

Absolutely. Dieter wears his Apple watch every time he reviews an Android phone, even rolling his sleeves up so you can't mistake the fact that he's wearing one. He probably has his iPhone in his pocket during filming as well.

"This device has the best screen on an Android. The best speakers on an Android. The best camera on an Android. The most premium build of any Android phone. Etc etc etc."

Soldato
It still amazes me that these guys/girls can make so much money literally just videoing themselves unboxing something they got for free, and talking over the tech specs and what their opinion is.

Soldato
Yep unboxing and initial impressions.

One thing I'm not happy about is how they have implemented the macro via software. When the camera gets close to a subject it will auto switch to the ultra-wide, and you cannot switch back to the wide unless you move the lens away again.
When you say too close - you mean within 2cm to 10cm.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Verge has put out a full review, but most of the other YouTubers are just doing unboxing videos. I wonder what that's all about.
Probably two reasons

1) They haven't had the phone long enough to test/establish any robust findings/results.
2) Apple operating a 2 embargo rule. Today was unboxing and first impressions with full reviews from Friday.

Associate
The Verge has put out a full review, but most of the other YouTubers are just doing unboxing videos. I wonder what that's all about.

To make content stretch - unboxing, then first impressions, then impressions after x days then finally review. Rack the views and engagement $
Some people may want more time to form their opinion.
Some may have received later

Soldato
Probably two reasons

1) They haven't had the phone long enough to test/establish any robust findings/results.
2) Apple operating a 2 embargo rule. Today was unboxing and first impressions with full reviews from Friday.

There are strict differences in what reviewers are allowed to discuss in 'unboxing and first impressions' videos versus a full review. The Verge have a full review up - camera tests, the works - while the big YouTubers are opening up boxes and telling us stuff like 'this looks great, see the pretty colours'.

Soldato
Cost is irrelevant.

It used to be, the problem is now that to upgrade my iphone 11 pro max 512gb, with applecare, clear-case and USB power adapter it costs:

1349inc for the phone, 189inc for applecare plus and 49 for the clear-case and 19 for the charger = 1,606inc vat.

Instead, I can throw my Realme 5G in the bin every 12 months for the next ten years. I don't actually need OS updates for the next six years because I will dispose of it every 12 months.

If I were to stick with apple and do this, its going to cost me 16,060 quid inc. If I move the iphones on for 6,512, I am looking at a lifetime cost over 10 years of 9,548 versus approx 1,750 for the Realme, if i include a couple of Sandisk memory cards as Realme throw in a case and charger in the box.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I can't blame the YouTubers, I would do the same if it was my business.

One long video giving a comprehensive run down of the phone, or:

1) Unboxing
2) Initial Impressions
3) Camera Review and Comparisons
4) Processor Speed and Battery Comparisons
5) One month with the phone review

5 x the viewing figures, 5 x the time revenue (approx).

Soldato
What you're basically saying is that an inferior product costs less money than a superior one.

What i have discovered is that the product is, in my daily usage, very similar and therefore it’s not actually an inferior product.

I am switching over tomorrow and giving my 11 pro max to SWMBO. I will look to upgrade my Ipad Pro instead.

the main difference with this phone is the camera. if you look at the verge advertorial review, it’s quite clear that really, the big difference between a cheap generic phone and the iphone 13 pro is the camera.

The question therefore is, is it worth almost £1,200 over a realme 5G just for the camera?

No, not anymore, I would sooner spend the money saved on a new Ipad Pro upgrade as i think it’s more worthwhile to me.

Soldato
Interesting to see the 13 Pro’s have a 60% improvement in GPU speed over the standard 13’s, which are about 20% faster than the 12 Pro.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
That is an odd move to mandate the camera goes in to macro lens mode with no override if you get sufficiently close to the subject. Surely that should be our choice. Can make a fairly significant difference to the outcome of the photo.

Soldato
Soldato
That is an odd move to mandate the camera goes in to macro lens mode with no override if you get sufficiently close to the subject. Surely that should be our choice. Can make a fairly significant difference to the outcome of the photo.

Not really, you have to remember Apples target audience is ‘normal people’, their philosophy is making everything as simple as possible.

Most normal people don’t really understand photography, they just want to open the camera and press a button to take a picture of whatever it’s pointing at.

Soldato
@Besty are you suggesting that tha only difference between a £199 generic unknown phone and an iPhone 13 is just the camera?
i said this to soeneone else earlier, my reply to you is the same

I am old enough to have bought all the iphones since the first one. I am as surprised as anyone about the results of my side-by-side tests that I have conducted over the past 6 weeks with my 11 pro max. Its been an eye opener but this is only a recent development.

I did the same with my XPS13 vs. Macbook Pro M1 comparison, and run devices in parallel to see first hand. I have to accept that, apart from the tablets, others have caught up with apple in so many ways that the cost difference is just not worth it at the moment.

Its down to Apple to change things up in 2022 and I will happily move back but for now, I will just be buying iPads.

Soldato
I am old enough to have bought all the iphones since the first one. I am as surprised as anyone about the results of my side-by-side tests that I have conducted over the past 6 weeks with my 11 pro max. Its been an eye opener but this is only a recent development.

I did the same with my XPS13 vs. Macbook Pro M1 comparison, and run devices in parallel to see first hand. I have to accept that, apart from the tablets, others have caught up with apple in so many ways that the cost difference is just not worth it at the moment.

Its down to Apple to change things up in 2022 and I will happily move back but for now, I will just be buying iPads.
Really ?

Soldato
Reviews are out, the Mr boss one is good as he benchmarks this and last year phones and the gap is even bigger than the leaks

leaks:
13 pro cpu 10% faster than 12 pro
13 pro gpu 50% faster than 12 pro

Reality:
13 pro cpu is 15% faster than 12 pro
13 pro gpu is 60% faster than 12 pro

Back
Top Bottom