£1,000,000 now or £10,000/month for 10 years?

Associate
£10k a month. Isn't that just going to work and having a few days off each month?

Granted I live in an expensive country, but I'm not sure why people would think having 10k would mean that much more of a lifestyle....sure you could buy more trinkets if you're stupid but it doesn't exactly change the quality of life materially...

Would definitely take the million to use as deposit on a nicer house. Or if in a yolo mood try and time the market. Hahaha.

Caporegime
Granted I live in an expensive country, but I'm not sure why people would think having 10k would mean that much more of a lifestyle....sure you could buy more trinkets if you're stupid but it doesn't exactly change the quality of life materially...

Would definitely take the million to use as deposit on a nicer house. Or if in a yolo mood try and time the market. Hahaha.

Okay I'll bite. What's your current salary because £120K a year for free would definitely change the lifestyle substantially of around 99% of people

nas

nas

Associate
10k a month for 10 years. Nothing wrong with £1m, but there's too much temptation for small splurges. It's easy to write a list of what you would do, but those goalposts will likely move in reality.

Associate
Okay I'll bite. What's your current salary because £120K a year for free would definitely change the lifestyle substantially of around 99% of people

Why would it? What would it genuinely change? Nicer food? A better car? A nicer holiday? The only thing it changes is security. What exactly would be different?

And my salary isn't important but it's not 120k..... And now I'm in my 30s I realise how empty it is. It doesn't materially change anything.

taB

taB

Associate
Right now I'd almost certainly take the £10k a month. If I had a million on the spot I'd give enough out that I'd be down to half of that pretty sharpish which Vanguard, etc. can't really factor in.

Also, am in my forever (divorce notwithstanding) home and have a manageable amount to spend on that and already planned. Everything else is the wine budget...

Soldato
I'd take the 10k a month...if I took the 1 Million and someone stole it then I'd have none...far less likely to get 10k stolen from you every month for 10 years, basically 120 times less risk

Caporegime
Why would it? What would it genuinely change? Nicer food? A better car? A nicer holiday? The only thing it changes is security. What exactly would be different?

And my salary isn't important but it's not 120k..... And now I'm in my 30s I realise how empty it is. It doesn't materially change anything.

Everything would be different for a lot of people.

First of all you have several members on here moaning that they cannot afford a home. Now it would be easily possible.

You could afford the absolute best area to live in that would be a substantial change to most people. Where their kids can then also go to private school and get the absolute best education possible.

Not everything is about Lamborghini's. There are lots of life changing things you can buy with money.

House, location, education, life insurance, health insurance, better quality of food, better quality of everything, £3k on a mattress as an example would be easily done and your back would thank you for it.

No stress, easy life.

Caporegime
I would immediately make 8 peoples live a more comfortable life, honestly the crap some people spout on here.
He obviously owns a Gucci belt.

Not only more comfortable but better overall and much more enjoyable as a result of less stress and access to better education, location and opportunities.

He didn't disclose his salary or bracket so I'm guessing that he's just completely ignorant.

Associate
Not only more comfortable but better overall and much more enjoyable as a result of less stress and access to better education, location and opportunities.

He didn't disclose his salary or bracket so I'm guessing that he's just completely ignorant.

You can have most of that on less than 10k a month. And I'm not disclosing my exact salary except for saying that its a few times higher... and having come from a very modest background I've been there and done it so not like I haven't lived a life without. I still buy modest enough things because it is all relatively the same... It is diminishing curve. Well until you get to the mega mega rich level but that is another ballgame entirely.....

Man of Honour
OP
People are worried about splurging the 1 million straight away but what about in 10 years when the 10k stops?

Since I only get £1000/month another £1000 would increase my lifestyle dramatically or I'd retire now at 63 and carry on living my normal amazing life. Some would go to my kids to remove a lot of pressure and most of the remainder would be saved with a bit coming out for holidays.
Yes I realise at my age I've got no money worries so any extra added to my life would be a massive lifestyle change.

Back
Top Bottom