• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
The performance leaks/rumours for Alder Lake are very interesting, but I'm honestly bemused as to how those numbers are achieved.

Gracemont performance is supposed to be a bit lower than Skylake without hyperthreading, yet Zen 3 stomps all over Skylake. So how in the blue hell does the inclusion of 8 sub-Skylake cores suddenly beat out 16 Zen 3 cores in productivity? And if Golden Cove performance really is that good, who the hell wants Gracemont taking up die space? Just give me 2 more Golden Cove cores for a 10 core Zen 3 destroyer.

Soldato
It’s not going to be a 14c chip though. Not in the proper sense anyway. 6+8 is more akin to multiple layers of hyper threading.

I’d love to know how think it will stack up…

Joxen has been arguing that IPC beats core so hard to put people off core counts for soo long :p
6+8/20 will still be faster than Zen 4 6/12 in multi threading performance unless AMD are increasing core count and have found 40% more IPC.

A lot of people were hoping that AMD was going to increase core counts with zen 3 so the 5600X was 8 core but instead we got 6 cores for the price of 8 rather than the other way around.

Last edited:
Soldato
6+8/20 will still be faster than Zen 4 6/12 in multi threading performance unless AMD are increasing core count and have found 40% more IPC.

A lot of people were hoping that AMD was going to increase core counts with zen 3 so the 5600X was 8 core but instead we got 6 cores for the price of 8 rather than the other way around.

I got 12 and 16 cores. But what brings you this conclusion? Pulling numbers from thin air with zero context?

If your plan is to ham up numbers to put people off AMD you’re doing a terrible job of it.

Last edited:
Soldato
The performance leaks/rumours for Alder Lake are very interesting, but I'm honestly bemused as to how those numbers are achieved.

Gracemont performance is supposed to be a bit lower than Skylake without hyperthreading, yet Zen 3 stomps all over Skylake. So how in the blue hell does the inclusion of 8 sub-Skylake cores suddenly beat out 16 Zen 3 cores in productivity? And if Golden Cove performance really is that good, who the hell wants Gracemont taking up die space? Just give me 2 more Golden Cove cores for a 10 core Zen 3 destroyer.

Pretty much sums it up. The data leaked so far is broken biscuits. The benchmark is testing the IGP and probably a unknown Intel discrete graphics card along with the CPU.

Soldato
I got 12 and 16 cores. But what brings you this conclusion? Pulling numbers from thin air with zero context?

If you’re plan is ham up numbers to put people off AMD you’re doing a terrible job of it.
What are you even talking about? How does 12 or 16 cores have any relation to the 13600K or the zen 4 6600X?

Associate
I know that the organisations are greedy. What you don't say is that there is another way of doing that business. AMD made mistakes in the past, it will in the future. No one can say AMD is perfect today.
At no point did i say AMD was perfect, which is the problem of having discussions with you, you make stuff up. End of now please.

Associate

I guess they are better than sub skylake cores. Intel can now pack cores onto the packages and when looking at 12600K vs a 5800X despite less threads it's 10 cores vs 8 cores. I can easily imagine Intel CPUs running at higher power compared to their nearest AMD rival that much will remain the same.

Shame intel won't be bringing their Golden Lake cores to HEDT anytime soon.

Permabanned
At no point did i say AMD was perfect, which is the problem of having discussions with you, you make stuff up. End of now please.

Organisations have shareholders to answer to as well as customers, considering AMDs growth margins in the last few years the customer on the whole is very happy with the product.

I am not happy with AMD.
For at least two reasons.
Because they are milking us both in the GPU space (where it's been insane) and in the CPU space.

Soldato
I am not happy with AMD.
Because they are milking us both in the GPU space (where it's been insane) and in the CPU space.
Wrong on both counts, as is normal for you. The entire GPU space problem and pricing is down to Miners and lack of supply. CPU pricing is at MSRP now and has been for some considerable time.

Associate
I am not happy with AMD.
So Intels top 8 core chip is £499 AMD top 8 core chip is £382.99. In fact AMD's 12 core chip is currently the same price as Intels 8. SO tell me exactly what the problem is, who is milking who?

Soldato
So Intels top 8 core chip is £499 AMD top 8 core chip is £382.99. In fact AMD's 12 core chip is currently the same price as Intels 8. SO tell me exactly what the problem is, who is milking who?
The flagship always carries a premium regardless of core count but yeah the 11900k isn't good value nor performance but hopefully this is set to change with alder lake.

Back
Top Bottom