Android 11 (A71) can't copy paste into Windows

Associate
[edit]
Just looking to find out why the copy paste doesn't work properly now.

Using the unlimited Prime backup for 1x backup.
[edit]

Trying to back up photos from the camera on my sister's phone to my Windows PC HDD. The phone is a Samsung A71 Android 11, it's awaiting an update but haven't updated it yet just in case it overwrites anything which isn't backed up. Have also tried my NVME and a SSD internal SATA.

Normally (as have done in past with a S8 etc), i just connect it via a cable (tried official USB C to C cable, and a Seagate C to A cable to 3.1 and 3.2 ports), copy and paste camera folder. But this doesn't appear to work anymore. Copying appears to want to take up to a day, and hangs on various photos. Ultimately the 33GB of data doesn't get moved at any realistic pace, and we've run out of time to do this today.

There's USB settings on the phone that you can choose, can't remember what they were. But tried the default and photos. Strangely enough when i choose the photos option, Windows used a different driver i think and showed the phone as a camera in the Windows Explorer instead of as a phone.

Also tried the Smart Switch thing as a last resort, connecting that to PC, obviously didn't work, and an external SSD which surprisingly did detect and power up, but didn't recognise correctly despite naming the drive when showing an error.

The phone has a SD card port, so could potentially copy the internal photos across and then stick that in the PC to backup.

Can you backup to Google Photos and then sign in from PC and download? That's another option.

I just can't understand why the simple copy and paste doesn't appear to work correctly.

Any help? Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
Backing up to google photos or similar and then keeping on google photos is really the best option - it's almost impossible to lose. You can still view on the phone without taking up space, and the software is very good. Shame it now costs.

You could also try transferring via WiFi?

Associate
OP
My Sister already used up the 5GB of Google Photos sadly, but i found out she has Prime which has unlimited photo storage so she's going to upload the current 33GB on her good internet (mine's terrible), update the phone, and i will download from the server/her account on my PC and make the physical copies. Long winded and annoying, but it'll work for now.

I'd like to work out why the transfer speed was just so slow to the point it didn't appear to be working. This was the reason i preferred Android over iOS because it worked with Windows Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom