Car bumped me, no damage should I report to insurance?

Associate
Here goes…

So the other day around 5am minding my open business on my way to work I come to a halt at red light with a car in front and a car behind, the light changes to amber then green the front car starts to move and before I can even press my pedal she accelerates into the back of me with the sound of a loud crunch.

I looked in the rear view mirror and she had her hand up to me and what seemed like she was saying “why didn’t move”, I honked, she then proceeded to drive off around me I caught up with her at the next lights but alas she drove off again.

I checked the rear of the car and there’s no scratch, dent, etc.

A quick check off the reg and it’s been owned by the same person since 2016.

Is it worth reporting at a cost of higher premiums?

Man of Honour
One thing that you have to bear in mind is that if her car suffered some damage, she could have taken your number and said that you reversed into her then drove away.

Associate
Take your car to a garage and have it properly looked at up on a ramp. There may be damage under the bumper that you cannot see and then report the incident to the police as she failed to stop after a collision.

Soldato
Had something similar to me a few years ago. I rang my insurer at the time saying my car wasn’t damaged and other wasn’t. They put it on my record just in case the other driver decided to claim more than it actually was.

Man of Honour
Keep any dashcam footage if you have any as per what Jean-F said more and more people pulling stuff like that :( may be worth reporting on non-emergency number/contact they failed to stop.

Soldato
Report her to the police for leaving the scene of an accident and get your motor given the once over by a mechanic just to be sure. Oh, and don't forget to put your whiplash claim in. ;):p

Man of Honour
Take your car to a garage and have it properly looked at up on a ramp. There may be damage under the bumper that you cannot see and then report the incident to the police as she failed to stop after a collision.

That happened to me some 18-20 years back, I stopped at a red light in Pelham Street at the junction of Brompton Cross and a woman in a BMW rear ended me.
No apparent damage to my taxi and she was saying, “Forget it, no foul no harm.”
I said that there could be unseen damage and took her reg number, and the name of an independent witness.
Up on a ramp at a Black Cab garage my diesel tank was badly dented, but not holed.
The mechanic said that the Public Carriage Office would not pass it as fit on its next annual inspection, so I put it in the hands of my insurers and had a new tank fitted on her insurance.

Soldato
I bumped someones Fiesta once and offered to fix the car for her. I removed the rear bumper which I assumed was purely cosmetic and the rear brace bar was totally FUBARed which I hadn't banked on.

Get it inspected properly even if you just stick your phone video camera with a light on beneath and share the footage.

Report her to the police immediately and inform your insurance.

Soldato
As others have said ,cover bases, inform the insurance company and the police that she fled the accident.

Always cover your bases unless you like to bend over and take it dry at some point.

Man of Honour
I bet there is damage somewhere behind that bumper, even if it's just broken clips. I think on balance I would report it to the police and get the car checked. But do be aware you will have to report a non fault accident on every insurance renewal for the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom