• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Soldato
Hi uscool,

100% they were Gelid Extreme pads (still have the packaging the come in if you want me to take a phot and link tme here happy to do so)

They look butchered as I pressed them down (wrapped finger in cling film so not to touch them directly)and cut off excess with tiny scissors as I was trying to keep it as close as possible to the diagram making sure I didnt cover anythign I wasnt supposed too.

That wont happen this time round, not going to even press them down.

right I didnt press them down I only pressed very lightly to get them to stick and made sure they were higher then the metal part where the GPU is in, it could have been you pressed them down to much they dont bounce back and probably ended up not contacting the heatsink properly

Associate
OP
Congrats! Must be a weight off!

God yes it is.

Just need to find replacement screws.

Does anyone know where to look and the size of them.

I had a few laptop screws but they seem a little to thick in comparison.

@Jay-G25 - Ive orrdered 1x1.5mm and 2x2.0mm as the sizing is 90mm x 50mm on the Gelid Ultimate. The previosu purchase of Gelid Extreme was 1 x 2.00 and 2 x 3.00mm and the size of them was 80mm x 40mm so i think im covered.

If you think I need another pack of 1.5mm let me know as to why as.

Diagram will follow for Front.
https://imgur.com/a/aJgLwMx

Associate
OP
right I didnt press them down I only pressed very lightly to get them to stick and made sure they were higher then the metal part where the GPU is in, it could have been you pressed them down to much they dont bounce back and probably ended up not contacting the heatsink properly

Thats my thinking as well. I probably compressed them way to much and in return they were not contacting with the backplateor the heatsinks

Soldato
Thats my thinking as well. I probably compressed them way to much and in return they were not contacting with the backplateor the heatsinks

that has to be it when I took mine apart again the pads clearly had the prints left over from the vram and vrm , did you do the back board as well taking them off left so much residue on the PCB , also measure the screw lenght in mm is it the one behind the V shape metal ?

Associate
OP
hi, no the screws are the T5 torx screws under the magnetic covers.

The scew height is 6mm and the width of the thread is between 1.5 and 2mm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmmm......anyone have any ideas as to who may know? Tried googling and not much out there with a definive answer. I saw one reddit thread about a 3090 with exact the same issue but no joy on the replacement screws.

Associate
Hmmmm......anyone have any ideas as to who may know? Tried googling and not much out there with a definive answer. I saw one reddit thread about a 3090 with exact the same issue but no joy on the replacement screws.

At times i hate this website and its draconian rules on posting links when in this case it would be so much easier, last time i checked overclockers didn't sell replacement screws :mad::rolleyes:

Anyway if you search for :
500Pcs Screw, Micro Screw, Black Small Screw, Carbon Steel Screws, 18 Different Screw Sizes for Glasses, Sunglasses, Spectacles, Watch, Jewelry, Home DIY Projects, M1.2,M1.4,M2,Black

on google it will take you to a very well known website and cost £5 . looks like it will have the size you need as they are all tiny thread sizes :)

Associate
So, did the thermal pad change mod on my Founders Edition 3080.

Must have opened the card up three times now, and readjusted the thermal pads/squished them down but still cannot get the Memory Junction Temps below 100 Degrees Centigrade.

After running Heaven Benchmark the max temps of the Memory Junction hit 102c

I used the Gelid 3mm on the back and 2mmm on the gpu die side. I followed the template by CoolPenguin1 https://imgur.com/a/aJgLwMx. Anyone got any tips or suggestions on what I can try to fix this? Is there a particular spot on the card i need to be aware of to cover with the thermal pad?

This template is wrong.
You need to follow the 3090 FE template for pad thickness (not for cutting them)
People started posting incorrect 3080 pad thicknessese before there was GPU Core hotspot available in HWinfo64, they only saw core and VRAM junction.

This is the correct thickness template to use.
The # of chips are different on 80/Ti FE but the thickness is the same.

https://i.imgur.com/8jR7hfP.jpg

When applying Gelid Extreme 1.5mm pads, avoid squishing them at all. If you can't get them to stick to the VRAM chips without depressing them, put them on the heatsink instead. You have a bit more leeway with the thicker (2mm) Gelid Extreme pads for the VRM sections I labeled.

Associate
Are you sure because good few guides mention gelid Xtreme pads 2mm for die side and 3mm for back abs have had good results as I have with 3080 Fe . Or you on about the 3090fe ?

Gelid Xtreme are meant to be very squashy

I didn't write any of the 2mm on VRAM front guides for 3080 FE. I only did for the 3090, where I started with Thermalright Odyssey 1.5mm pads, but saw slow hotspot degradation over time, then switched to Gelid Extreme 1.5mm pads.
I did tell (with great hesitation as I could not believe a 3080 FE would take thicker pads than a 3090 FE!) some people many months ago about the "1.5mm on 3090 FE, 2mm on 3080 FE" but I was just "copying" the "reddit trend" from someone else's incorrect results --apparently the person who said 1.5mm pads were too thin either applied them wrong (or they moved when he flipped the card over--that happened to me once), OR he probably pressed them down with his fingers too much or messed up. VRAM junction temp is the hottest of any of the pads on the card, so any one stinker is the one that gets reported. A second person reported using 2mm Gelid Extremes also on a 80FE, I noticed his 16C hotspot delta instantly but he didn't care one bit.

Anyway, that lasted longer (Gelid Extreme 1.5mm on both Core VRAM And VRM's) but slowly the hotspot got worse (over 2 months, very slowly, just 2C but that was enough for me to notice), then I saw that the VRM pads were thicker than the VRAM pads (looking very closely at some stock FE pads after people took pictures), then I switched to 2mm on VRM's ONLY (Gelid Extremes) and everything is now stable.

The key to finding this out was someone mentioning having a 30C hotspot to core delta(!), yet their core was pasted perfectly. They took the card apart and there was a missing VRM pad on the left side, which gave me enough clues that "Core hotspot" reports the hottest section of BOTH the core AND the VRM's, similar to memory "Junction".

Associate
OP
@Falkentyne - I've ordered up some Ultimate's instead of Extreme, will the same measurements still apply for pad thickness in the picture you supplied?

Also if what you are saying is correct, maybe you should write up a post and let others know about it.

What gets me is that people have followed the original diagram using 2mm on Front and 3mm on back and have had success with it. However it didn't work for me. I saw no reduction in Memory Junction temps. Stayed at 100c+ after applying pads first time round.

Soldato
I didn't write any of the 2mm on VRAM front guides for 3080 FE. I only did for the 3090, where I started with Thermalright Odyssey 1.5mm pads, but saw slow hotspot degradation over time, then switched to Gelid Extreme 1.5mm pads.
I did tell (with great hesitation as I could not believe a 3080 FE would take thicker pads than a 3090 FE!) some people many months ago about the "1.5mm on 3090 FE, 2mm on 3080 FE" but I was just "copying" the "reddit trend" from someone else's incorrect results --apparently the person who said 1.5mm pads were too thin either applied them wrong (or they moved when he flipped the card over--that happened to me once), OR he probably pressed them down with his fingers too much or messed up. VRAM junction temp is the hottest of any of the pads on the card, so any one stinker is the one that gets reported. A second person reported using 2mm Gelid Extremes also on a 80FE, I noticed his 16C hotspot delta instantly but he didn't care one bit.

Anyway, that lasted longer (Gelid Extreme 1.5mm on both Core VRAM And VRM's) but slowly the hotspot got worse (over 2 months, very slowly, just 2C but that was enough for me to notice), then I saw that the VRM pads were thicker than the VRAM pads (looking very closely at some stock FE pads after people took pictures), then I switched to 2mm on VRM's ONLY (Gelid Extremes) and everything is now stable.

The key to finding this out was someone mentioning having a 30C hotspot to core delta(!), yet their core was pasted perfectly. They took the card apart and there was a missing VRM pad on the left side, which gave me enough clues that "Core hotspot" reports the hottest section of BOTH the core AND the VRM's, similar to memory "Junction".

I have been keeping eye on the temperatures highest I've seen on the vram is 88c , the gpu temps seem equal to stock at stock can get to 75c but with undervolt and custom fan curve it struggles to hit 70c and delta is 11c-12c but it's only been few weeks so will keep eye on it , removing the Xtreme gelid from the back PCB is nightmare

Soldato
I remember when I modded my 6800 Ultra with the at the time popular Arctic Cooler NV Silencer 5 Rev.2 and one of the screws snapped around the die. It was Xmas day and my heart sank and I had to leave it like it but at a later time I replaced it with the Zalman VF700. Have not modded a card since.

Soldato
I have been keeping eye on the temperatures highest I've seen on the vram is 88c , the gpu temps seem equal to stock at stock can get to 75c but with undervolt and custom fan curve it struggles to hit 70c and delta is 11c-12c but it's only been few weeks so will keep eye on it , removing the Xtreme gelid from the back PCB is nightmare

For comparison, I ran a stress test of 3DMark Port, just to get a base line of the temperatures using the stock thermal pads.

Room Temp was 24.4c going down to 24.2c at the end of the final loop.
Memory Junction maxed at 104c but going by the graph 98% of the time the temp was 102c.
GPU temp sat at 76c almost constantly.
Hot Spot temp sat at 86 almost constantly.

I'lll run a few more tests like this so I can compare later.

Soldato
For comparison, I ran a stress test of 3DMark Port, just to get a base line of the temperatures using the stock thermal pads.

Room Temp was 24.4c going down to 24.2c at the end of the final loop.
Memory Junction maxed at 104c but going by the graph 98% of the time the temp was 102c.
GPU temp sat at 76c almost constantly.
Hot Spot temp sat at 86 almost constantly.

I'lll run a few more tests like this so I can compare later.

I ran the same test last night. 3080FE card stock setting and stock fan curve. Port Royale Stress Test at 1440p

22.8c in the room

hot spot: max 83.3c average 82.8c
gpu tem: max 73.3c average 72.8c
mem junction: max 100c average 99c

the average is my eye ball of the line from hwinfo seeing where it mostly sat during the 20min run.

Soldato
First post I've came across staying that for Gelid Extreme pads for the 3080.
I've seen quite a few that mentioned gelid extreme 2mm for the die side of the 3080FE.

I'm gonna give this a whirl at somepoint...especially if the pads degrade. My first port of call will be nvidia though.

Back
Top Bottom