*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Man of Honour
I was nearly 19st a couple of weeks ago, that's not a healthy weight but my bp/bg/lipids and other health markers were all good. Weight is a tiny part of being "healthy".
I'd rather those numbers looked good than the scale weight.

Soldato
My blood pressure is fine but I have a glucose intolerance so I shouldn’t eat too many sweet things, so I have health problems but I’m not a young man, I’m 46.
you have my sympathies that is a tedious intolerance to have to manage. What happens with starch when it breaks down? Is that a way of saying diabetic in some form or other?

Man of Honour
I don't understand, you're prediabetic yet don't exercise and seem to base your diet on binging on carb/sugar heavy meals and then starving yourself the following day. A bit of exercise and a slightly more sensible diet and you could reverse your prediabetes and stop it becoming full blown type 2.

Which is fine if that's how you want to roll but it's almost certainly not how you do it if you want to be healthy.

This is how to do it lads...

The dotted line is 10.59 stone and you’ll notice when I go above it I generally go below it the next day.

Associate
I'd go so far as to say weight is only particularly important (in itself) for health when you're very overweight or very underweight.

If you're average... a little thin or a little chubby then it starts taking a back seat to other things.

If you're prediabetic I actually find myself concerned for you when it comes to eating habits, binging and starving the way you do with no exercise can't be good for the long term. Weight in itself doesn't take into account activity levels / type of activity or body type, amongst other things.

Soldato
Well I weighed myself today and rocked in back at where I was before I started exercising properly pre covid lockdown #1. Now to restart the 5-2 and do a 2nd exercise class a week and see what we can get that down to. The NHS site says I should aim to lose 4.5kg asap to get into the next tier down. For my height that is still fat though. I need to lose 3 stone to be trim. It is not going to be easy. There is a fat-burn class apparently nearby that my wife saw advertised. I might give that a go.

Soldato
It took me 10 weeks to lose 1.67 stone and I was eating less than I do now to achieve this, plus I was jumping on my exercise bike for 30 minutes a day.

Soldato
Well I weighed myself today and rocked in back at where I was before I started exercising properly pre covid lockdown #1. Now to restart the 5-2 and do a 2nd exercise class a week and see what we can get that down to. The NHS site says I should aim to lose 4.5kg asap to get into the next tier down. For my height that is still fat though. I need to lose 3 stone to be trim. It is not going to be easy. There is a fat-burn class apparently nearby that my wife saw advertised. I might give that a go.
If you've got the willpower, the fast 800 followed by 5:2 is effective...

Soldato
After 18 months of lockdown, work stress and living like a hermit who's only friend was the Deliveroo guy I topped out at 18 stone about 5 weeks back.

Down to sub 17 stone this morning, 5 weeks of daily cardio and not eating everything in sight. Hoping I can break 15 stone by the time I start the new job mid January, and then have a stag in May so hoping to get back to my fighting weight of 13 stone by then.

Weird how going back into a job where I'm going to need to commute and see people face to face again has given me the kick in the backside I needed to make a change.

Soldato
I'd go so far as to say weight is only particularly important (in itself) for health when you're very overweight or very underweight.

If you're average... a little thin or a little chubby then it starts taking a back seat to other things.

If you're prediabetic I actually find myself concerned for you when it comes to eating habits, binging and starving the way you do with no exercise can't be good for the long term. Weight in itself doesn't take into account activity levels / type of activity or body type, amongst other things.

Weren't 5-2 style diets said to help shock the body back into handling fluctuating blood sugar levels and help reverse prediabetic trends? Have I misunderstood?

Soldato
The current evidence points towards the cause of pre and T2D being visceral fat accumulation around the liver and pancreas (vs subcutaneous fat which is the fat we can ‘see’ under the skin) preventing them from functioning normally and leading to an inability to regulate blood sugar levels properly. The most important thing therefore is a combination of diet and exercise one can both adhere to long enough that this excess fat is removed, which then allows normal function to be restored. There is no one ‘best’ diet or approach to meal timing for this.

If one has particularly low bone density and muscle mass and then a decent % of their weight is coming from fat then they might still fall in the healthy range for BMI say, but be on the road to T2D. Body composition is criminally understated.

Back
Top Bottom