Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Glorious, if anyone knows how to drive a team further into mediocrity it's Whitmarsh, can't wait :D
:cry: it's harsh but I was thinking the same. He didn't exactly leave McLaren in a good place, I feel like he lacked leadership and direction. But then he's not taking up position as TP so it might very well work out for him.

Soldato
They need to get the car designers and drivers into a room, then show them something like the '96 Brazilian and Spanish GPs on loop until they figure their **** out...
They were going far slower then. The cornering speeds were so slow in the rain and the worst spray was on the straights. That said, we had plenty spinning off on the straights too (at Barcelona), so maybe not!

Personally I never want to see another car sliding across the track at right angles to cars approaching at 160mph+, like Raikkonen at Interlagos in 2016. The Vettel spin beforehand scared the bejesus out of me even more, as when he was rejoining you could see from the higher on-board camera that another ball of spray was approaching over the blind crest. The camera cut away and I was certain the next shot would have been utterly destroyed cars and who knows what else.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The one that sticks in my mind was Raikkonen (for McLaren) at Spa. Flying up Eau Rouge in to a cloud of smoke without lifting :eek:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I see F1 wants these awful sprint races at a third of the races next year. Not sure that's a good idea, it certainly doesn't "liven" things up for me.

23 races, 7 or 8 sprint races, a shorter calendar than this year. Ugh.

Meh, bring it on. There are maybe three possibilities:

1) it hastens the demise of this crap that's masquerading as Grand Prix racing and is replaced - win.
2) it hastens the demise of this crap that's masquerading as Grand Prix racing and isn't replaced - oh well, what the hell.
3) nothing changes, nothing improves, it remains crap and a few people get exceedingly rich out of the mediocrity - oh well, what the hell.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They add nothing for me beside setting the pack in an even more stable order.

Yay, you win quali... now you get to race to find out what position you really start the race on :rolleyes:
Yay, you pulled out an epic quali lap in the Haas to start P10... oh noes, now you go backwards over 15 laps and start dead last :rolleyes:
Yay, you binned it on a Friday quali... not to worry, spend 15 laps getting back to a position closer to where you should have been :rolleyes:

Not to mention it completely robs the excitement from quali and you'll end up missing half of them because you're stuck at work. Good job, F1.

Don
Pretty much that - I've said it before, but the only way this would be in any way sensible would be if Qualy actually determined the Feature race starting order, with the Sprint race as a "bonus" spectacle , e.g. using a reverse championship grid.

It won't happen though, due to the risk of damage (both time to turnaround and cost cap), and would be argued about between the teams if any of the minor constructors had any chance of scoring some additional points (even if it is only 3,2 or 1 as the sprint presently awards)

Soldato
**EDIT**Armageus, it appears I'm not the only one on this wavelength! posted pretty much the same idea whilst I was typing.:D

I'm in agreement. The sprint qualifying format as it stands, just dosnt work for me.
Now I'm not against having a sprint race, but to have it tied in with race start order I dont agree with. totally disconnect it with race start order, just offer a small haul of points, they could even try a reverse grid the sprint race that liberty seem so adamant they want. Have it based it off Championship position or Qualifying,

Friday - P1 & P2 Both slightly lengthened
Saturday - Qualifying AM(Sets GP race start order), Sprint race PM (either based of qualy or reversed?) this way round leaves time for repairs prior to race should any occur in the sprint.
Sunday - GP Race.

Soldato
I'm torn on it...

At Silverstone I liked it, it gave something 'proper' to watch all 3 days and the Sprint Race was more exciting than I thought it would be. Afterwards I said the only thing they should change would be to award the official Pole Position from Qualifying and not the Sprint Race.

But at Monza it was kinda meh.

I dunno if it was just not expecting much from Silverstone and then expecting too much at Monza.

Not sure I like the idea of reverse grids, but worth a try. I'd certainly rather that than committing to a third of next year with the current sprint format unchanged...

Back
Top Bottom