What vitamins do you take and why?

Soldato
If you are eating healthily, get time outdoors and not a vegan you shouldnt have to. Unless you have dark skin then you just wont get enough D in the UK.

Soldato
If you have joint pains then stick it out. It has given my mum a bit of a lifeline with her dodgy hips.

I take Centrum multi-vit just as a top-up as it was the only one I could find that didn't have bonkers NRV values (the worst is 143% for Vit B6) and I take Magnesium at night to help sleep.

I was taking them for tinnitus, i was seeing if ot would help eliminate the days where its worse. Didn’t try long enough to see it it would
Work but i almost choked on them capsules a few times.

Soldato
omega 3-6-9, multi vit and vit c but i only take them sometimes. i dont believe in constantly taking pills every day of your life

Tea Drinker
Don
Biocare multivitamin
Pharmepa maintain omega 3
Turmeric & black pepper
Mushroom complex

And why, ulcerative colitis as recommended by a private dietician after a raft of private blood tests, they did also recommend a probiotic but I stopped this a long time ago in favour of fermented veg and yoghurt

Soldato
Omega 3-6-9
Multivitamins
glucosamine and chondroitin
Calcium and magnesium.

Take these everyday.

Why? Got started on most of these for one reason or another, like I rarely eat fish, I am not an outdoors person, I don't drink Milk or eat cheese. And about 10 years ago I started having joint problems. I don't know if it's placebo or not but I don't have any joint problems now and am pretty healthy. Honestly, I am afraid to stop taking supplements in case things get worse.

Caporegime
None, if your diet is good then all the intake vitamins you need will be contained in the meals/fruits you eat anyway so don't need excess vitamins. Anything else will be down to as mentioned above ^

This is not true, it is recommended that everyone take vitamin D in the winter because it isn't found in the typical diet.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

But since it's difficult for people to get enough vitamin D from food alone, everyone (including pregnant and breastfeeding women) should consider taking a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D during the autumn and winter.

Caporegime
Can you just neck a bottle of Sunny D and be done with it? ;)

My missus always tries to feed me the next new thing saying it is good for you but my Grandad lived to 93 and he grew up on bread and dripping. As long as you stay away from processed foods and eat normally I think you will be fine. After all it has only been the last 50 years that process foods have really taken off and we haven't really seen the mass effects of it yet.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I stand corrected on the vitamin d front! I didn't even think of D as I tend to be outside a lot anyway and in recent times we've had a shed load of sun it's just become second nature to forget about it as it's always there, even in colder months.

Soldato
D3 all year except the few weeks of summer we have as the UV level is usually too low, usually 4-5000iu depending on what’s on offer.

Omega 3’s aren’t vitamins but essential fatty acids* but I buy Nordic Oil off Amazon since my oily fish consumption is only semi-regular and swig 5g a serving.

Rest is a waste of money if you have a half-decent diet, except in specific circumstances e.g. vegans and B12, endurance athletes and electrolytes lost in sweat, pregnancy and folic acid etc.

*your body can recycle and make various things from other things but the two things it cannot produce on it’s own and need to come from the food you eat are the essential amino acids (EAAs) found in dietary protein and the essential fatty acids (EFAs) found in dietary fat.

Man of Honour
Gave up on multi-vitamins as the quality on a lot of them seems to have gone down the last few years - and I never really found they did much anyhow.

On work days I've been taking an effervescent with a moderate vitamin C and high Potassium dose (along with some other vitamins/minerals) and 2-3 days a week drink a green tea which has a high vitamin D dose. I've found that combination to have a noticeable effect especially as my diet is so-so and I spend a lot of time doing night shifts these days :(

Back
Top Bottom