First time going to Gym - Dreaded feeling!

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to join my local JD Gym which is close to my house. But and I'm sure most of you will also admit that feeling dread the first time going in.

I'm 5.7 around 18st and have started to eat better and get out on my bike with my son who is 7. I also tend to go out myself an do an hour or so but feel the gym would also help.
But as said above its the dreaded feeling of going in for the first time thinking ' what others are thinking about me, are they looking etc'

I'll be honest I'm usually not fussed about what people think but this has be stumped. I think it is because I've never been!

Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Thanks all!

Soldato
I've just joined the one in Byker, and yes I was worried about going.

I'm 6ft and was 10 stone, so a different worry.

It was fine, and I go as often as possible now. Most people are there to do their thing and aren't spending their time looking at other people. And if they are, they're knob heads anyway.

Soldato
Nobody cares if you're fat, thin or built like a **** house. The only thing that matters is that you're there to improve yourself.

The only thing that might get attention is hilarious lifting form, so maybe do a bit of research and don't be afraid to ask someone for advice or a spot if you feel you need it.

Either way, you shouldn't give a toss about anyone's opinion.

Soldato
Most will concentrate on there own workouts and not care. Others may think fair play for doing something about it.

Also worth noting there will be others in the gym in your exact position and had the same thoughts.

As above do research on form, how to use the equipment and training splits.

Soldato
Also, dont know where you are based, but I do 45 mins a week with a girl I know who does tuition at a gym, but she does private PT sessions too.

As above, what shes taught me is the techniques and forms and how to do a good rounded set of exercises when I go to the gym or at home.

Associate
Honestly no one will really look at you, as soon as you walk through the door, your pretty much on par with everybody else in the gym, they will go there to do their thing like you will.

If you are struggling with a weight or a piece of equipment ask someone to help, most people will help you out surprisingly, their are 1 or 2 idiots, but they are few and far between. And like walking around shopping or in a public place, very easy to spot :)

The endorphins that your body will release during your workout, will make you feel great too. So regardless of what experience you have go for it.

Permabanned
Get some PT sessions and get them to setup some training programs/help you learn how to use it all safely?

FYI I was almost 19 st @ 6'2 when I first went to the gym. (Got down to 13.5 at my fittest, though mostly ruined it during lockdown :cry:)

Soldato
There are likely to be two types of people at the gym when you go in - those who look at you and think 'good for him, doing the right thing for him, hope he keeps it up and reaches his goals' and those who are too busy focussed on their own goals to notice you.

Many people who go to the gym are self-conscious to start with, whether it be because they are carrying fat, because they are really skinny or because they are lift an empty bar with no weight on it. None of this matters - everyone has their own goals, their own training program and their own numbers they lift.

Just go and do your thing - that's all the rest of us are doing.

Man of Honour
We’ve all been there. I was tiny when I started in the gym and I always felt I was being judged. The funny thing is, that feeling never really goes away - if not for size then feeling judged about my form. But you know what, I used it to fuel me. My aim was to be the strongest in there and within a few years I was. Your focus is different, but your motivation can be the same. I always had tremendous respect for anyone who was clearly unfit, but was in there trying to improve themselves. You’d actually be surprised how much support you have.

Watch others and learn from what they do, good or bad. If someone offers you constructive advice, take it. I’ve seen people with dangerous form tell others to **** off, I’ve also saved a few people from getting crushed under the weight with not even a thanks :p

Soldato
You'd be surprised at how welcoming some gyms are. I'm member of a JD one and most people are too self involved to notice you. I used to be a member of some really rough looking gym but I found that was the best gym experience for me as a newbie as I'd always see the same faces and as I knew nothing the amount of times these Adonis looking men would approach me and then end up taking time out and giving me tips really changed my opinion.

I don't go as much as I should as I'm focusing on cycling at the moment but you'll love it :)

Underboss
I had this recently with the wife, she was very conscious - headphones in and crack on, no-one cares as they are too focused on their own issues/program.

Enjoy, be consistent and you will see results.

Soldato
Get some PT sessions and get them to setup some training programs/help you learn how to use it all safely?

As a recent gym goer, I think this is more important. You should be more concerned about safety and injury avoidance then what other people might think if they cared enough to notice any more then your general presence (in the nicest possible way).

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the advice I'm going cal the gym and have a conversation about joining and getting in some PT sessions to get to grips and above all be safe last thing I want is to hurt myself etc.

Plus going to think about planning some time in the gym and out on the bike each week also.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to join my local JD Gym which is close to my house. But and I'm sure most of you will also admit that feeling dread the first time going in.

I'm 5.7 around 18st and have started to eat better and get out on my bike with my son who is 7. I also tend to go out myself an do an hour or so but feel the gym would also help.
But as said above its the dreaded feeling of going in for the first time thinking ' what others are thinking about me, are they looking etc'

I'll be honest I'm usually not fussed about what people think but this has be stumped. I think it is because I've never been!

Any advice or recommendations would be great!

Thanks all!

Good job starting out, I wish you success!

I felt the dread so I understand how you feel. I was in worse shape than you (I was over 24 stone and stopped weighing myself after that... so god knows...) and my start into getting fitter was swimming before the gym so I didn't kill my knees (I was very, very big). I looked absolutely ridiculous, but from my own experience, after two weeks you'll get over the dread as it will have become routine and eventually you'll start to hit the beginners gains / progress if you do things right, and that's an addictive feeling that you'll enjoy.

As others have said, the real majority are either concentrating on themselves or will think you trying to better your fitness is a good thing. Just follow any gym rules, and if you're a sweaty SoB like me, do wipe things down after you're done! :D If you do feel like you're being judged then I wouldn't be too worried. They should focus on what they are doing rather than other people though I've found that quite often people will offer some guidance if they really think someone is doing something dangerous, so hopefully it's a friendly gym!

It's a pretty great feeling when a fellow gym goer who you cross paths with regularly on the same schedule praises you for your efforts though, so hopefully you get that! I do offer praise myself if I think it will be appreciated. It's genuinely lovely to see someone start, stick with it for a few months (and more!) and see their transformation over time.

One thing I would recommend is that if the gym has any basic sessions or courses to offer you some initial guidance, is that you take them. Stuff like starting with 3x4 reps of a certain weight, up to 3x6 then add more weight once that becomes comfortable, depending on your goals of course. Once you start you can go down a rabbit hole of things to do.

Associate
I recall the first few sessions were bad in terms of energy/hitting the target , but generally you will grow into it. Like every one said above , no one cares how you look or how much weight you can do , folks are more interested in you GTFO-ing the equipment they need :D

Enjoy the journey!

Associate
Once the DOMS kicks in you'll stop worrying about what anyone else thinks ;)

As the others have said though, just do your own thing and try to forget about what anyone else might think. A few PT sessions are a great idea to get you started - get them to sort your form out and put together a simple starter plan.

Associate
Loads of people feel this way when 1st going to the gym but honestly people there just don’t care. The only gyms I’ve seen any problems with are meathead gyms.

As others have said a few pt sessions is a good way to get into it or even having a friend to work out with helps if you nervous.

Back
Top Bottom