Neighbour extension overhang

Soldato
not really the clearest of pictures....hard to tell what i'm looking at....

Is the brick work on the ground your boundary line? Or the fence?

Associate
OP
not really the clearest of pictures....hard to tell what i'm looking at....

Is the brick work on the ground your boundary line? Or the fence?

Yeh I didn't take the best picture unfortunately. The face of the brick wall is the boundary. The extension construction is over the top of the wall

Soldato
I'd be very concerned. Why do people do this. As if taking every last centimetre is going to make any difference at all to an extension, compared to the problems it's going to cause down the line.

Soldato
I'd be very concerned. Why do people do this. As if taking every last centimetre is going to make any difference at all to an extension, compared to the problems it's going to cause down the line.

Happens all the time place where I used to work the plans for a neighbouring garden showed a building well away from the boundary and it got approved it actually got built slap bang against the boundary wall even had dollops of mortar all over the top of said wall and down the other side

Soldato
What party wall agreement? Should this construction have one? This wall is between their land and my drive, my house is stood away at the other side of the drive.
If the wall is on the boundary - they need an agreement in place. How would they maintain it without coming onto your land. What if you wanted to build an extension on your land and build off of it your side? What's to stop you - the facing side is technically on your land.

Or as has been on here recently - what if you wanted to install a gate, and the builder drills into their wall.

Soldato
I agree with above. Fairly certain a party wall agreement should have been drawn up by your neighbour, at his cost. It's to protect both of you through a formal legal agreement.

Do some research and go speak to the neighbour. https://www.peterbarry.co.uk/blog/what-to-do-when-your-neighbour-ignores-the-party-wall-act/

Just had a thought - is this a brand new wall? Did they dig and install foundations right on the boundary? If so even more argument for PWA to have been in place.

Back
Top Bottom