If you work from home what do you do?

Soldato
Try to decipher 15 years/1.5million lines of code which has been bolted on top of itself so many times it makes me want to shoot myself.

And drink too much coffee.

So basically the same thing as in the office except with less swearing :p

Commissario
I spend my time ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
I fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

Sometimes I'll be kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town while I'm waiting for someone or something to show me the way.

Man of Honour
I spend my time ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
I fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

Sometimes I'll be kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town while I'm waiting for someone or something to show me the way.

Sounds like a hell of a time.

Associate
Varied subject research depending on what project I'm working on
Some occasional creative thinking / theory research
Content writing / graphic design checks / architect drawing and plans review/amending
Manage and maintaining documentation (budgets, gantt charts, strategy planning etc)
Write and manage CDM and contractor H&S and project tasks
Liaise with internal and external stakeholders / manage team's monthly and annual work priorities

Every day is different! Do mostly mixed weeks, few days at home, few in the office for my own sanity.

Soldato
tons of Teams meetings for pre-construction phase of new £25m school ... it was better in the old days when you could eyeball the government dude who asks, "but can you build it for 20 mill?"

Soldato
To answer the thread, I work in mortgages but get my work done real quick, so today I was done about half 11 started just before 9.

Spent the rest of the day playing pubg.

A bad day is if I have to work past about 2pm.

Soldato
DevOps engineer:

Literally everything.

One day I'll be debugging some crappy developers code because they're too proud to admit they're wrong, next day I'll be building a new system for xyz.. day 3 I'll be trying to fix a broken website so people like you can continue buying our products.. on day 4 I'll be up at 4am releasing new code to the same website, early morning so doesn't impact the business.. on day 5 I'll probably sit in a 2 hour meeting talking about the next project, complexity, timings, resources required etc.

I seem to do a bit of everything.

QA
Automation
Release management
Out of hours support
Architecture
Development
Etc

Man of Honour
^ This is just for OcUK forums right? :D

Remote Sysadmin (SMB's only)

Microsoft office licensing (+setup, rollout, migrations e.t.c).
Microsoft windows licensing (+setup, rollout, migrations e.t.c).
Microsoft 0365 Email (setup/migration/administration).
VPN connections (new, existing, migrations and administration).
Various other applications on request (sage, payroll manager, SIMMA e.t.c).
General desktop support (Outlook, password resets, group policies).
Active directory (setup, migrations, changes and administration).
Remote switch configurations from various hardware.
VOIP (multiple setups from ground up, migrations and current, different hardware, software and administration)
Fiber connection tests (if a line is slow or goes down)
Documentation on any aspects of above.

Some days I don't get any tickets at all so I do the below, some days I'm super busy.

All of the above while watching TV, listening to music, playing games and drinking tea/coffee.

Christ, how small is the company you work for!? That list would cover 3 different teams where I work (networking, analysts - 2nd line, sysadmin).

Soldato
Provision, Configure, Automate and Administrate Cloud Infrastructure is the main one. I also plan capacity, forecast trends, take part in MI Bridges, answer far too many emails, teams requests and the likes.

Large Hosting company with various other business interests around eCommerce, primarily focused around VMware/Storage, but also get involved with KVM/Openstack every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom