The nervous wait to exchange....

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Searches would never cover a simple provision such as parking, they cover aspects to do with the legality and other aspects of the title being purchased specifically.

To be honest, if i were buying a property with no private parking then this is something i would expect to make my own enquiries on. A quick call with the local authority to clarify would have exposed this. They could/should have formally posed that question themselves if it were a concern to them in my opinion.

Man of Honour
Almost all estate agent listings will cover themselves with something like...

"These particulars and any pictures or plans represent the opinion of the author, excluding vendor comments, and are given in good faith for guidance only and must not be construed as statement of fact."

Its always down to the buyer to check, certainly if its as important as parking/charging a car in a permit scheme.

Soldato
buyers saw that it was permit parking and by the sounds of it didn't ask any further.
So they have a Tesla, and nowhere in the vicinity to park it!
*Shrug* They didn't check.

Quite the opposite! Completely banal...

If they have a car which I presume they need to park within charging distance of their house you'd think they would have prioritised checking for themselves, even moreso than if they just need to drop a metal box on wheels with walking distance.

Soldato
Here's any interesting one from my local FB group. I'm just interested what people think.

This person bought a house on a mews-type street (west London, zone 3) where there is on-street permit parking on one side of the road due to it being narrow. The selling agent didn't say anything specifically about parking, buyers saw that it was permit parking and by the sounds of it didn't ask any further. Turns out now they've moved in (!!) there is some anti-car/environmental scheme (dunno) that is stopping anyone else from getting a parking permit there. So they have a Tesla, and nowhere in the vicinity to park it! Mad eh? I guess it comes down to the wording in the contract, but I'd be tempted to go after the agent for mis-selling or something :)confused: ) because if I saw permit parking on the street you'd just assume that was the deal right? I mean if I had a car I would definitely check but still.. Surely it's quite unusual to be blocked for gaining a permit?

Why on earth would someone with an electric car not be looking solely for somewhere with offroad parking? It's not like you can run a cable across the pavement to your car etc.

OK, we're a long way from London, but as we have an EV (wish I could afford a tesla!) off road parking was literally the only thing we wouldn't move on, in terms of criteria.

Soldato
Agreed, it's not clever. I imagine people are ignoring "the legals" and doing it though. Around the corner someone does it and just leaves the cable IIRC. My neighbour a few doors down has got a cable trunk/ramp for his, but he's a very sensible considerate person.

Man of Honour
There are no legal restrictions on it, I'd guess liability in the event of an accident/incident would be another thing.

There are no legal restrictions that mean you can’t charge your vehicle with a cable that runs across a pavement, but the Highway Act does give councils the power to remove cables that they think are in unsuitable locations. Some local councils have advised against it, but as the number of EVs on UK roads increases many believe that councils may begin to see the benefits of kerbside charging, especially if new innovations like lamp post charging become more popular.

Soldato
Why on earth would someone with an electric car not be looking solely for somewhere with offroad parking?
Because London :)
Agree with this, placing a cable over a public path doesn't sound legal at all to me....
Realistically, the biggest issue is being sued if someone trips over it. So use cable ramps, make sure it’s tidy and high vis and get legal cover.
Yeah this. I walk past a few charging around here. One has cable ramps across the path and another hilariously now has some strange washing line/wooden pole setup which holds the cable up over the path a bit like a doorway. Looks a bit ghetto, I'd go for the ramp!

I thought I'd get those sorts of responses here. I guess having just bought my first place and not knowing what you don't know (!).. well I can see how something like that could get missed. Like I said, we don't have a car but on street/permit parking so I guess I was just imagining jeez what if that happened with us. But then again, like you say, if I had a Tesla I would be paying much more attention to where I'm going to park it!

Associate
I do believe that some councils where actually offering to install cables under the ground as an incentive for people to have electric cars that lived in terraces street with no off street parking this is really the only way.

Soldato
I do believe that some councils where actually offering to install cables under the ground as an incentive for people to have electric cars that lived in terraces street with no off street parking this is really the only way.
That would be cool. You know I've wanted a car for a long time and the more time goes on the more I think maybe I could go fully electric. But I hadn't really considered charging :p Not sure I'd want a cable hanging out of my postbox and across the path to my car overnight!
Yay, we've exchanged!
Congrats!

Associate
Well, a month ago we were told explicitly by our solicitor we would complete by the 30th but yet to even exchange contracts! Due to tomorrow being her day off and fridays tend to be completion's. The weekend, means 3 days left. nothings getting done in 3 days is it? So with that said where do we stand, do I ask to be compensated or just suck it up and pay stamp duty.

Associate
Our solicitors asked for permission to exchange from my wife and I, of course we granted it and now the buyer is stalling. Can't exchange until Friday, it might be legit but the wifey isn't very pleased.

Soldato
Congrats!

Thanks! :)

Well, a month ago we were told explicitly by our solicitor we would complete by the 30th but yet to even exchange contracts! Due to tomorrow being her day off and fridays tend to be completion's. The weekend, means 3 days left. nothings getting done in 3 days is it? So with that said where do we stand, do I ask to be compensated or just suck it up and pay stamp duty.

Depends on who/where the delay has come from. If the seller hasn’t disclosed something or caused an issue then you could potentially have a case to argue for a reduction in the price.

If it’s just a case of the solicitors being slow, there’s probably not much you can do. Their Ts&Cs are likely watertight. Certainly when we appointed ours, they had a huge disclaimer on page 1 about how conveyancing was averaging 12-14 weeks and we should be prepared for it to take longer than that.

What’s caused the hold up?

Pet Northerner
Don

If it helps at all my solicitor (who's also my best mate) has said right now he's seeing exchange and completions done on the same day. I exchanged only yesterday and I complete Friday morning, so plenty of time for you yet :)

Soldato
If it helps at all my solicitor (who's also my best mate) has said right now he's seeing exchange and completions done on the same day. I exchanged only yesterday and I complete Friday morning, so plenty of time for you yet :)
Except the deadline for a lot of lenders to request mortgage funds was yesterday and for the rest it's tomorrow ;)

Back
Top Bottom