How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Soldato
Decided to split up my pi's to do separate things.

I have a handful of things running on my Pi4, but sometimes I like to tinker and it goes offline for other things.

So I'm moving to 3, Pi3b+'s, each with their own single use:
PiHole,
Wireguard VPN,
One for network USB that I found here https://youtu.be/I5zA1lU5Tw0

Then that frees up the 4b for Transmission and Plex - I'm the only one in my house that uses it so if it goes offline it's no issue.

Setting it all up once I grab a network switch.

Soldato
I'm now currently following along with a YouTube series by NovaspiritTech, called Pi-Hosted.

Uses a single Pi 4 to host a variety of services through Docker.

So far got things working nicely:
Plex, Transmission, jDownloader, File Explorer, OpenVPN, Nextcloud.

I think the next video is going to be about reverse proxies, which is nice as I don't know much about them at all.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm now currently following along with a YouTube series by NovaspiritTech, called Pi-Hosted.

Uses a single Pi 4 to host a variety of services through Docker.

Seen that will revisit this. I had 4xPi2's running Portainer as a cluster for months. The master one seemed to fail but I have not got round to interrogating it. Was thinking about splitting them up again but you have reminded me to maybe user 3 in a cluster and keep 1 for random projetcs.

Soldato
Seen that will revisit this. I had 4xPi2's running Portainer as a cluster for months. The master one seemed to fail but I have not got round to interrogating it. Was thinking about splitting them up again but you have reminded me to maybe user 3 in a cluster and keep 1 for random projetcs.

What did you use to cluster them together? Interested in learning about this.

Soldato
What did you use to cluster them together? Interested in learning about this.

Portainer.

Hardware wise, I used a USB charging unit (power for four Pi's), made my own short Cat5e cables, a cheap Network switch, standoffs so that four of them were in a tower. Configure the master pi and config the other three to be slaves. Old desktop fan in front to blow over them all. Was in my loft for almost a year where it was running pihole, database server, network bandwidth logger and a few mess about testing containers.

Good little mock lab to get you into ansible and VM's etc. or just to hobby about.

Soldato
Portainer.

Hardware wise, I used a USB charging unit (power for four Pi's), made my own short Cat5e cables, a cheap Network switch, standoffs so that four of them were in a tower. Configure the master pi and config the other three to be slaves. Old desktop fan in front to blow over them all. Was in my loft for almost a year where it was running pihole, database server, network bandwidth logger and a few mess about testing containers.

Good little mock lab to get you into ansible and VM's etc. or just to hobby about.

You can use portainer to create a cluster? I didn't know that. I thought it had to be something like kubernetes.

What I'd ideally like to do is have a stack of 4 Pi's all running these many containers that I have, and if one where to go offline / die, then the clients would be none the wiser and everything would carry on as normal.

So you're saying this is possible with portainer?

Soldato
Yes I recall it was setup a docker swarm first. Then on the master pi install portainer to control them all. I would have to find the guide I used but it was well over a year ago.

Here is a nice page and I remember referring to these links of the projects as over time these things become easier to manage or someone creates a script to do the heavy work.

This one looks very similar to what I did but isn't the exact one.

Associate
I've just watched eta primes pi zero 2 video on you tube, it seems very impressive for its low price. Basically he managed to easily overclock it to 1.3ghz in testing it was on par with a pi 3b performance wise.

I'm thinking this would make a perfect portable amiga emulator machine for my swos addiction.

Soldato
I've just watched eta primes pi zero 2 video on you tube, it seems very impressive for its low price. Basically he managed to easily overclock it to 1.3ghz in testing it was on par with a pi 3b performance wise.

I'm thinking this would make a perfect portable amiga emulator machine for my swos addiction.

I really recommend searching up Jeff Geerling on YouTube as well. Always love his videos. Gets into more technical detail than ETAPrime

Soldato
Slightly disappointed in the packaging from the PiHut. Just the PiZero2 in an antic static bag inside a jiffy bag.

It arrived safe and sound but was at least expecting the PiZero to arrive inside it's own box.

Back
Top Bottom