Insect bites- identification required

gEd

gEd

Associate
Under his clothes, between the knee and the waistline?
"her" - I'm "old skool" :)

yes, because she spends a lot of time kneeling down while working in the garden. She also gets bitten on the back of the knees as well.
Consider that the bit between the waist and knees isn't just covered in clothes, it's often the part of your lower-half that you don't spray with repellent.

Soldato
Open fields? Do you ever see deer in them there fields?

You didn't say where abouts you lived, but you may be living in an area with a heavy tick population.

It'll be ticks and there's no need for assassin bugs as tick-borne diseases are quite capable of killing you!

Get yourself a white pillow case (good tip @Rannoch) and go out and run it over the vegetation in your garden and see if anything clings to it.

You may need to get a magnifying glass to take a really close look as, like I say, ticks can be tiny.

It will be safe to sit on the grass soon. When there’s 6 inches of snow or ice :D

Soldato
OP
Bumping as I have identified the culprit, and this might help someone else.

They are chiggers, a type of mite that lives in grass.

They bite me mostly around my waist, in the belt line, and in my groin. The bites come on an hour or two after I have been out in my garden.

The bites itch for several days and become very inflamed.

Various ways to minimise/ treat this can be found on the intr0w3b.

Soldato
I get these in late July/August I tend to notice them in the morning when they itch. Neighbour says they are from Harvest Mites. They sit on the grass and wait for a host to brush past. I think pets suffer with them too.

Had to have strong antibionics and antihistamines a couple of weeks ago cos my hand and arm swelled up horribly.

Edit aka chiggers as OP said

Soldato

They bite me mostly around my waist, in the belt line, and in my groin. The bites come on an hour or two after I have been out in my garden.

My car was covered in those the other day, little red dots moving all over the place.

I think I redistributed them down the main road :p

Soldato
It's not a horse fly. I've been bitten by them and you notice that straight away, believe me.

You can't help but notice them they're as big if not bigger than a housefly and fly around so not hard to spot, they also hurt immediately "OW!"

If you're backing onto grassland that has livestock you're going to get bitten by all kinds of nasties it goes with the territory

Don
I've got about 15 horse-fly bits on my legs at the moment from walking the dog on meadows where cattle graze. They hurt like a son-of-a-bitch and you REALLY know when you've been bitten.
Interestingly, it's only the females that bite as they need the protean to create eggs.

No help for you identifying your bites though.

Soldato
OP
I've got about 15 horse-fly bits on my legs at the moment from walking the dog on meadows where cattle graze. They hurt like a son-of-a-bitch and you REALLY know when you've been bitten.
Interestingly, it's only the females that bite as they need the protean to create eggs.

I did identify them in the end.

I am being bitten by chiggers, which are little mites.

My sympathy on the horse fly bites. They hurt.

Soldato

I use this on my clothes, there are loads of ticks about and although I suspect there are chiggers in the grass, I haven't had an issue with them.

Soldato

They are rapid, I was amazed to find out they fly about 90 mph, around 4,000 mph if they were the same size as a human. I was bitten not long ago and saw the fly land on my leg but I didn't feel it, then came the bite.

Back
Top Bottom