Apple VR

Caporegime
No, not "inventing" VR it was done by someone else already, but they are creating a headset, yes

first i heard about it was a year or 2 ago

wooooooosh, standing joke that pretty much every feature apple puts in its stuff, somebody else has done it first but Apple and Apple fans claim Apple invented them.

Soldato
wooooooosh, standing joke that pretty much every feature apple puts in its stuff, somebody else has done it first but Apple and Apple fans claim Apple invented them.

Apple and their fans have also attempted to airbrush Commodore out of the early home computer years, claiming to have the first million selling computer in the USA when it was in fact the Commodore VIC-20.

It's amazing how much Commodore's role in popularising home computers has been forgotten, probably because the company no longer exists.

Also Chuck Peddle, inventor of the 6502 and the Commodore PET helped Wozniak with the Apple prototype, as Wozniak was having problems getting it working. That's a fact conveniently forgotten!

Associate
I've never wanted any Apple kit. Overpriced and it locks you into their ecosystem.
Yeah same, always been happy with my far cheaper phones, will almost certainly be the same here....unless it's a headset that has absolutely everything we've ever wanted (crazy high Res, fov, audio and stuff like eye tracking and finger tracking controllers etc.). Even then by the time this comes out other headsets will be out way better than what we already have

Soldato
I'm curious to see what Apple can bring to the table as they have access the best technology ( in-house mobile CPUs/GPUs) that theoretically could put them a generation of two ahead of any competitors as things stand. Plus they have an army of devs they can call/lean on to develop content for the platform.

You can criticise Apple for being overpriced and anticompetitive. However when they enter a product marketplace they quickly tend to end up dominating it. If any company can make AR/VR mainstream it's Apple so I'm keen to see what they deliver.

Something tells me most companies are more interested in producing AR glasses rather than VR headsets. Though I'm sure those two markets will merge in time.

Caporegime
I'm curious to see what Apple can bring to the table as they have access the best technology ( in-house mobile CPUs/GPUs) that theoretically could put them a generation of two ahead of any competitors as things stand. Plus they have an army of devs they can call/lean on to develop content for the platform.

You can criticise Apple for being overpriced and anticompetitive. However when they enter a product marketplace they quickly tend to end up dominating it. If any company can make AR/VR mainstream it's Apple so I'm keen to see what they deliver.

Something tells me most companies are more interested in producing AR glasses rather than VR headsets. Though I'm sure those two markets will merge in time.

not sure £3k vr Apple headsets are “mainstream”. The quest 2 did more to make it mainstream at £299

Soldato
not sure £3k vr Apple headsets are “mainstream”. The quest 2 did more to make it mainstream at £299

Guess we'll have to wait and see what they charge. I don't think the price will be as high as the £3000 some have suggested but I fully expect it would be around £1000.

Caporegime
Guess we'll have to wait and see what they charge. I don't think the price will be as high as the £3000 some have suggested but I fully expect it would be around £1000.

I can easily see it being £3k if it has all the cutting edge features rumoured. It is apple after all who charge £1000 for a monitor stand and £450 for 6 castors to go under your computer.

Soldato
That's just the opinion of some random analyst, I'm still sceptical I think Apple will go for a wearable AR solution like glasses before a VR headset.

Agreed. Tim Cook has even said in several interviews over the years that Apple sees AR as the dealbreaker, not VR. Even all their software libraries are called AR.

The rumours are pilling up about a 2022 release from almost all analysts (meaning: Apple is creating the anticipation), but whether it's AR or VR is anyone's guess.

Back
Top Bottom