Deepcool Assassin 3 Fitting advice ?

Associate
Hi Guys, Long time forum ''guest'' user here in need of advice. I have been slowly buying parts following sales and based on my own search. This will be my first build, and so far i have been lucky with parts at reasonable or occasionally really good prices. This will be a home office/heavy work station build and i don't intend / plan to upgrade for at least 3-5 years Here is the setup.
Fractal Design- Meshify C (Dark TG)
Gigabyte Aorus Master B550
Ryzen 5900X
Deepcool Assassin 3
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz 2X8GB (will add 2X8GB)
EVGA Supervova G3 550W
Firepro 4100 2GB (4x4K support)
2X120mm Fractal HF-Venturi
2x120mm Fractal Dynamic X2 GP-12 (Default Case Fans)

I have been checking around and i have not seen this exact mobo+cooler+ram combo in YT or different forums. Default ram clearance for assassin 3 is 32 mm, ballistix's are 39.17mm, case allows 172mm and with 165mm cooler height 172.20mm overall. Does not fit , i mean leaves gaps around the glass pannel if i force it. I was planning to use the venturi's as front intakes, Dynamic's as back and top exhaust towards the back. I have tried the default fitting with 140mm's , clipping to back of towers as pull configuration but no joy i cant close the side pannel glass. Replacing the front 140mm with a 120mm Venturi or buying low profile ram like corsair vengeance (non-rgb)(32mm) seems to be my only options. A fan swap means taking a hit at performance as i understand so i am all ears, any suggestions ? Anyone could fit Assassin 3 in Meshify C ? Thanks

Soldato
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 are little over 39mm tall.
Meshify C has 172mm CPU clearance
This all means you have about 130mm between top of RAM and case side cover for front fan.
Assassin II fin-packs are notched to clear tall RAM, but 140mm fan will not fit.​
Easy solution is run with only middle fan.
Temps will be the same at same noise level, but with fan at full speed under extreme load temps will be 1-3c warmer.​
Other way to go is put fans pulling from fin-packs instead of pushing into fin-packs.
I'm pretty sure fin-packs have fan clips to accommodate fans on front or back sides, but not owning one I am not positivve
Images of cooler look like fin-packs have clip notches for both sides.​

You may need better case fans. I think it comes with 2x of their very low pressure Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans (wimpy 0.88 mm H2O @ full speed). I would put both as front intakes and block off / tape over all openings in fan mounting panel. This will seal front intake compartment from motherboard compartment so air fans push into motherboard compartment has to flow on through (over motherboard) to go out exhaust vents. I would also remove all back PCIe slot covers to increase rear vent area. This will allow air to flow past GPU and out thus supplying GPU with cooler air.

Even better would be to buy and install 2x Arctic P14 or 3x Arctic P12 as front intakes. Again, make sure you seal all openings not covered by these intake fans so air they push into motherboard compartment has to move on through and out, not leak around into front intake area and end up going in circles (doing no good) instead of on through case and out.

Linked below is basic guide about how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow. You might find it helpful.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
OP
Hi , Thanks for the link , will sure look into it. I have experimented with a couple of combinations and you are right fins have notches on both sides and fans can be clipped on both front and back of towers. Problem here is the monster VRM cooling on back of the MB. Front of first tower has limitation due to ram height, back of second tower closest to exhaust is also no go due to passive vrm cooling fins on motherboard. So pull configuration also does not work. Funny you said 140 Arctic's in the front , i wanted arctic bionix 140's for intakes as high airflow fans but the thing is i got venturi's for free as ebay messed up things and offered a comp. So i had no time for a thorough research before the voucher expiry time. Venturi's (120)though , they are high airflow fans with 83.4 CFM. Them with mesh front pannel i thought i am covered for front intakes. 140 mm Venturi's are 118.2CFM and 140 bionix are 104 CFM. If i put 3 120's in the front as intake bottom one blows half to the PSU shroud so i might go for 2x140's intakes as you suggested. Am i correct in thinking intakes should be HF fans but exhaust should be HP fans ?
Also since i don't need a GPU i opted for a small 2gb PCIe firepro (50W), an old but pro use, reliable card enough for my needs for 4x4K display. A small print card with a small fan powered from Pcie itself. I dont think i will have massive heat output on this area. I must agree with you on these flimsy Dynamic fans though . If i go for new 140's as intakes , i will swap venturi's to back and top rear exhaust and dump these dynamic fans or fit to the bottom of the case. As i said i had tried a couple of variations, (without the cpu!!! ) i fit the assassin in default fan orientation (front of each tower) even though the front fan is sticking out i can just about close the case with minimum gap around the glass pannel as the screw type things have enough give and thread on them i can keep the glass without fully threading the glass. Mind you first fan top is hitting the glass and i thought just fully tape around the glass to make it airtight or source some sort of flat rubber seal and diy that than keep the case where it is and don't move. I am a bit worried of the fan touching the glass and vibration from fan or pressure to the glass if i have to move the case. As you said i can run it with 1 fan in between towers , but not as pull configuration. I can also swap the front 140 with a 120 and it works. I had really good deals on MB, ram ,case and cpu cooler , to be honest pretty much everything came as discounted as both ebay and amazon keep messing up my orders and offering either comps or vouchers/gift clards in return :cry:. So new set of fans is not a problem. Just want to get the last bit that is the CPU i am waiting on. With new gen AMD, new intel and end of AM4 i am hoping to see a relative :rolleyes: drop on 5900X , of which i am covering 65£ of that with amazon goodwill /apology/avoid emberessment card:D

Soldato
Hi , Thanks for the link , will sure look into it. I have experimented with a couple of combinations and you are right fins have notches on both sides and fans can be clipped on both front and back of towers. Problem here is the monster VRM cooling on back of the MB. Front of first tower has limitation due to ram height, back of second tower closest to exhaust is also no go due to passive vrm cooling fins on motherboard. So pull configuration also does not work. Funny you said 140 Arctic's in the front , i wanted arctic bionix 140's for intakes as high airflow fans but the thing is i got venturi's for free as ebay messed up things and offered a comp. So i had no time for a thorough research before the voucher expiry time. Venturi's (120)though , they are high airflow fans with 83.4 CFM. Them with mesh front pannel i thought i am covered for front intakes. 140 mm Venturi's are 118.2CFM and 140 bionix are 104 CFM. If i put 3 120's in the front as intake bottom one blows half to the PSU shroud so i might go for 2x140's intakes as you suggested. Am i correct in thinking intakes should be HF fans but exhaust should be HP fans ?
Also since i don't need a GPU i opted for a small 2gb PCIe firepro (50W), an old but pro use, reliable card enough for my needs for 4x4K display. A small print card with a small fan powered from Pcie itself. I dont think i will have massive heat output on this area. I must agree with you on these flimsy Dynamic fans though . If i go for new 140's as intakes , i will swap venturi's to back and top rear exhaust and dump these dynamic fans or fit to the bottom of the case. As i said i had tried a couple of variations, (without the cpu!!! ) i fit the assassin in default fan orientation (front of each tower) even though the front fan is sticking out i can just about close the case with minimum gap around the glass pannel as the screw type things have enough give and thread on them i can keep the glass without fully threading the glass. Mind you first fan top is hitting the glass and i thought just fully tape around the glass to make it airtight or source some sort of flat rubber seal and diy that than keep the case where it is and don't move. I am a bit worried of the fan touching the glass and vibration from fan or pressure to the glass if i have to move the case. As you said i can run it with 1 fan in between towers , but not as pull configuration. I can also swap the front 140 with a 120 and it works. I had really good deals on MB, ram ,case and cpu cooler , to be honest pretty much everything came as discounted as both ebay and amazon keep messing up my orders and offering either comps or vouchers/gift clards in return :cry:. So new set of fans is not a problem. Just want to get the last bit that is the CPU i am waiting on. With new gen AMD, new intel and end of AM4 i am hoping to see a relative :rolleyes: drop on 5900X , of which i am covering 65£ of that with amazon goodwill /apology/avoid emberessment card:D
I think the key to airflow rating vs static pressure rating is what they each are.
Airflow rating is how much air fan at maximum speed flows with absolutely not resistance .. like a fan suspended in middle of room.
Static pressure rating is how much pressure fan at maximum speed can push into a sealed container.​
Obviously we never use our fans in either of these situations.
They rarely run at full speed. At half speed airflow and pressure ratings are 1/4-1/3 of full speed rating.
They always have some resistance to flow .. grill, filter, even cabling all create resistance.
We don't have them pushing air into sealed containers, but do have them pushing air through lots of restricts in our cases.​
Because of the resistance of grill, filter cable, etc high pressure fans move way more air through our cases than airflow fans will.

Grill mesh restricts fan airflow 30-80%. Several companies studied this including Silverstonetek and PugetSystems. You can look up their results if you want proof.
Airflow works on same principles as water flow. That's why it's names "Fluid Dynamics". Amount of air flowing into a case has exactly he same amount flowing out. I've found after years airflow experience and too many computer builds to count that we only need good intake fans 99.99% of time. Once in a great while an exhaust fan will help by creating airflow channel / stream from intake to exhaust.

Even high pressure fans make very little pressure on exhaust side vs intake side. About the same difference as air pressure on your chest vs air pressure on your feet standing at sea level. Yeah, very, very little pressure difference.

The above is why I suggested what I did. :)

Reading guide in link I gave you will probably help you understand how airflow works and hopefully help you build a quiet system with good airflow.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for the link, will sure check this again once i sort out the problem in hand. I will probably check the temps once installed with different fan combinations and act on that. For the time being i am still interested in any forum member's experience if they also have the same combination i am trying to sort out, so please give me a shout if any of you had fit this cooler in a Meshify C.

Soldato
Using 2x fans on twin tower pulling from each finpack performs basically same as 2x pushing. Only difference might be caused by fan impellers being slightly closer to fins increasing noise a little.

As I said before, single fan in middle will cool same at same dB as 2x fans do. This is because 2x fans make 2-3dB more noise than single fan at same speed, but slow the 2x fans to same dB and they flow same amount of air as 1x fan at same dB. So the couple degrees difference is only with fans at full speed / same speed as single fan.

Forum seems to be very quiet this week, don't know why.

I'm sure if you have any problems we (members here) will help you solve them.

Back
Top Bottom