If you work from home what do you do?

Associate
Building Regulations application work, assessing applications for compliance and writing reports following my visits to construction works in progress, giving general advice in relation to works in progress, and preparing fee quotes for work in the pipeline.

Man of Honour
I work non stop.
I have access to 3 million patients records and access to around 25 different systems including the Xray software.
The systems I haven't got access to I have contacts so eg Renal Notes and Maternity Ultrasound reports just get sent to me on PDF.
Today has been a bugger because the patient had 25gb of Xray images but I ZIP them all up.
I collate all the records together into PDFs and get them sent by AMS File Transfer to Solicitors, Coroners & Experts etc.
I also have to search for records within the records that the Experts can't find so I'm as good as a Dr now :)
I have to make lots of phone calls to Clinicians getting answers so I have to put my TV on mute.

Associate
I'm a software tester... So I test software.

Out of all the jobs mentioned here, this is the only one that sounds fun, that includes the post about PUBG :D

Do you get to properly rip stuff apart and provide your own kind of report on it, or are all the guidelines pretty strict? The later is probably not so much fun i guess.

Soldato
- Review intelligence packs to get a general understanding of the company / individual
- Do my own research on said company / individual
- Send letter to or phone said individual to get their side of the story and copies of their records
- Make a note of what they've decided not to send me as that's usually the bit of information I actually require
- Cross reference their information with our internal information to see how much it differs
- Put forward my argument to them, which usually involves asking them to actually pay the tax they originally owed
- At this point, they usually disappear or come up with delay tactics
- Spend 6 months chasing them and issuing formal notices, before raising an assessment for the amount they owe
- Rinse and repeat for the next 30 years of my life

Soldato
- Review intelligence packs to get a general understanding of the company / individual
- Do my own research on said company / individual
- Send letter to or phone said individual to get their side of the story and copies of their records
- Make a note of what they've decided not to send me as that's usually the bit of information I actually require
- Cross reference their information with our internal information to see how much it differs
- Put forward my argument to them, which usually involves asking them to actually pay the tax they originally owed
- At this point, they usually disappear or come up with delay tactics
- Spend 6 months chasing them and issuing formal notices, before raising an assessment for the amount they owe
- Rinse and repeat for the next 30 years of my life
Do you wear your square toe rubber shoes and shirt with a pocket on it whilst WFH too, ya nark?

/s

Soldato
I help clueless people procure goods and services without being taken to court. Actually technically I manage other people who do that, my job is a lot of reporting on income, trying to stop my team killing the accounts guys and generally massaging the egos of clients who don't realise that if they were as good as they think they are they wouldn't actually be talking to me.

Soldato
Out of all the jobs mentioned here, this is the only one that sounds fun, that includes the post about PUBG :D

Do you get to properly rip stuff apart and provide your own kind of report on it, or are all the guidelines pretty strict? The later is probably not so much fun i guess.

It very much depends on the company and their structure. It can be an incredibly boring job. For example working for a defence company where there's a million miles of red tape and procedures, or in game development where there's loads of testers and you only work on one very small area over and over and over again.

I prefer working on smaller teams (1-2 testers and a handful of devs) where you're able to work on all aspects of testing across the entire product. Much more variation, although it is still repetitive at times.

From my experience, the smaller the company, the more freedom you get and therefor the more interesting the role.

Soldato

lol this is funny given most testers in big firms are literally the least happy/paid people of the entire operation. Usually following scripts and print screening the result as evidence against poorly written test scripts derived from poorly written requirements.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I help clueless people procure goods and services without being taken to court. Actually technically I manage other people who do that, my job is a lot of reporting on income, trying to stop my team killing the accounts guys and generally massaging the egos of clients who don't realise that if they were as good as they think they are they wouldn't actually be talking to me.

Awesome summation. I can image the latter point being absolutely spot on!

Back
Top Bottom