What's the best hi-fi / home bargain you've bought?

Soldato
As title really

Walked into my local regenerate yesterday and picked up the kef hts2001 system minus the sub for £35....:eek::eek::eek:

Some very minor cosmetic damage and I've not tried them personally yet. But guy in the shop said fully tested at crazy levels and no distortion .

Anyone else found similar crazy prices?

Soldato
That is a great price! Did they have any stands? Those alone can fetch a reasonable price.

I have the sub sat here, used only a few times, but the pin from the plug which went into Output Jack snapped off and is stuck in the hole. PM me if you're interested.

Soldato
OP
That is a great price! Did they have any stands? Those alone can fetch a reasonable price.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1byQrJm9mcCmeGqQ9

1byQrJm9mcCmeGqQ9

Soldato
Well not quite as bargaintastic. The speaker system I have now, a Velodyne deco 5.1 that I paid half price for. Good spot though on those Kef eggs. IIRC the sub is prone to failure, I'm not certain if Kef can still repair them anymore.

Soldato
Got some hts1001 Kef eggs with sub & a Onkyo receiver for £60, i thought that was good, still using the Kef eggs!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
When Best Buy closed their doors in the UK, I grabbed a JVC DILA projector with a 66% discount. Was a great buy and lasted 10 years with only 1 new bulb needed.

Associate
£1900 ATC SCM40

couple of little marks hardly noticeable. Did a deal on eBay, then went outside of eBay, cash on collection… was expecting to get murdered. Did not.

Now just need to feed them some power and get some room correction…

Soldato
Nakamichi AVP1 £350
My HoverBOSS for £1000 or so.. just because I think it provides extreme value

Or my old KEFs I bought KEF Q series - I bought them on clearance and sold them 3 years later for MORE than I pad for them to fund my Arendals.

Soldato
Got some Dynaudios from my local Richer Sounds for 200 quid a few years back. Covers had been 'mislaid' ;). They sound great.

I'd be wary of not using the covers, you need to be careful with the tweeters, they're incredibly fragile on Dynaudio. My BM5 MKIII have a protection bar, but they are studio monitors.

Soldato
Got a bunch of Tannoy XT8F's and XT6F's when they went EOL and were the last speakers made by the original chaps they went onto create Fyne Audio after disagreements I think with guys who took over Tannoy. Got the 6F's for £400 odd and 8F's for £800. Normal RRP was much higher so sold a pair of 6Fs and 8F's for the RRP so made 1.2k on them. Kept 4 XT8F's which are my main speakers but with the sales on others meant these cost me £800 in all after costs and what have you, so £200 per tower, was pretty chuffed with how that worked out.

Sony STR-1080 AVR for £259 from Sony centre, had a scratch on the front through, but not bothered as hidden away in well ventilated cabinet, but still got warranty for it so happy with it. Saved over £200 from brand new so can't complain.

Soldato
I'd be wary of not using the covers, you need to be careful with the tweeters, they're incredibly fragile on Dynaudio. My BM5 MKIII have a protection bar, but they are studio monitors.
Yes they have got a bit scraped but still sound fine, mind you 7 years old now DM2/7's hooked up to Naim pre-power, bananas up loud ;)

Soldato
Can't really take part as I used to work in the hifi industry and thus had many, many bargains that the public would never see.

If we count bargains bought since then, I had a boxed like new Musical Fidelity Nuvista M3 for £80 from Gumtree, sold as faulty, the PSU just needed a new fuse inside.

Back
Top Bottom