**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Less than one day with the S21U and I'm not impressed. The screen is predictably amazing, but the software is jankier than I thought it would be - scrolling reddit in particular is jumpy as hell, but you can't escape it whichever app you're in.

Also, first indications are the cameras can't take a usable indoors shot either unless the light is perfect. Every Samsung I've ever owned nails the daylight shots - I know some people don't like how Samsung exaggerates the colours, but I love how they process the images - and struggles with movement in indoor lighting. The S21U is the same. I took a side-by-side comparison with my old iPhone XS when my children were sitting at the kitchen table and the XS took a better shot. The XS is not known for taking good photos in average lighting conditions. The iPhone 12 I had was miles better than both, and that's about to be replaced by the iPhone 13 which is almost certainly going to be better again.

There's a 95% chance the phone is going back to Samsung. I'll give it a bit more of a chance.

Associate
Less than one day with the S21U and I'm not impressed. The screen is predictably amazing, but the software is jankier than I thought it would be - scrolling reddit in particular is jumpy as hell, but you can't escape it whichever app you're in.

Also, first indications are the cameras can't take a usable indoors shot either unless the light is perfect. Every Samsung I've ever owned nails the daylight shots - I know some people don't like how Samsung exaggerates the colours, but I love how they process the images - and struggles with movement in indoor lighting. The S21U is the same. I took a side-by-side comparison with my old iPhone XS when my children were sitting at the kitchen table and the XS took a better shot. The XS is not known for taking good photos in average lighting conditions. The iPhone 12 I had was miles better than both, and that's about to be replaced by the iPhone 13 which is almost certainly going to be better again.

There's a 95% chance the phone is going back to Samsung. I'll give it a bit more of a chance.

Well, i have to say I'm loving my s21 ultra. with the firmware updates, it's getting better and better.
For me, i must disagree with what you're saying about Reddit. mine is buttery smooth and fast to scroll lightning-fast through all of the threads I'm reading. no stuttering or jerkiness. same with any other app i use. now for me it was Facebook. but that is now buttery smooth.
Having said that i have gone into the developer options and sorted the animation speeds. perhaps its that. i know you do not really need to do it but it's just a habit now when I get a new Samsung phone.

My youngest son has the iphone 12 pro max. my daughter has the iPhone xs. we have all taken photos at the same time in our house with not ideal lighting. pic for pic the s21 ultra took better pics. Of various things. my grandchildren playing etc. But it wasn't just me saying it my son daughter and wife said the ultra was better. I'm no photographer at all i just point and press the button.

Soldato
Well, i have to say I'm loving my s21 ultra. with the firmware updates, it's getting better and better.
For me, i must disagree with what you're saying about Reddit. mine is buttery smooth and fast to scroll lightning-fast through all of the threads I'm reading. no stuttering or jerkiness. same with any other app i use. now for me it was Facebook. but that is now buttery smooth.
Having said that i have gone into the developer options and sorted the animation speeds. perhaps its that. i know you do not really need to do it but it's just a habit now when I get a new Samsung phone.

My youngest son has the iphone 12 pro max. my daughter has the iPhone xs. we have all taken photos at the same time in our house with not ideal lighting. pic for pic the s21 ultra took better pics. Of various things. my grandchildren playing etc. But it wasn't just me saying it my son daughter and wife said the ultra was better. I'm no photographer at all i just point and press the button.
I can only follow on from this. Camera is amazing and it does get snappier every update. Had a oneplus 8 Pro and this is way better for pics.

Friends are all iPhone lovers , one has 12 pro max and other a 12 pro and we all agree they look better on this phone, plus they really jealous of the zoom capabilities

Man of Honour
Any ideas what I could get if I was to sell my s22 ultra 256gb? The recycle site quotes are a joke.
Probably not huge amounts more than the recycling sites to be honest, with the amount of offers/price cuts/free stuff given out with the phones since release they won't have held their value very well.

Associate
A lot of Tech sites would pay a silly amount of money for your S22 Ultra. :p

Haha oops!

Probably not huge amounts more than the recycling sites to be honest, with the amount of offers/price cuts/free stuff given out with the phones since release they won't have held their value very well.

You're probably right! Quite frustrating though. Was curious as to its value with the pending release of the Pixel 6 Pro looking tempting.

Good spot! Not the highest post count given a join date of 2005..

Not sure why that matters?

Associate
Any ideas what I could get if I was to sell my s21 ultra 256gb? The recycle site quotes are a joke.

Thing is when it comes to selling even though you have the 256GB version you won't get that much more for it over the 128GB version, plus it's a Samsung phone so depreciation will be pretty bad, best bet your looking at maybe £650 tops if in mint condition & that on ebay with risks of selling it on there.

Soldato
Ok no worries.

I'll just stick to my ultra, have no issues with it other than it can weigh down my shorts sometimes :cry:

I'm currently looking at the bay for phones and people are right, the price is all over the place (and not sure I trust the bay phones)...it appears "opened but never used" (not sure how that happens) tend to go for £700-£800...

I was happy with my Note 10 Plus, but managed to get salt water in it on holiday and it's knackered...I'd have kept that for another year and upgrades to the s22 next year...

Shame you can't access the members market as I would have been interested...

Decisions, decisions...

Associate
I can't find a decent S21 Ultra contract that isn't a ridiculous price. The "best" deal I can find is £37 a month, but it's £300 upfront, 100gb, unlimited text/calls, 24m contract. Think I should wait till Black Friday?

Associate
I can't find a decent S21 Ultra contract that isn't a ridiculous price. The "best" deal I can find is £37 a month, but it's £300 upfront, 100gb, unlimited text/calls, 24m contract. Think I should wait till Black Friday?

im going to wait till then at least aswell

heres hoping for better deals

Back
Top Bottom