16GB DDR4 vs 32 GB DDR4 performance in Gaming..

Caporegime
One benefit no ones has mention is 2x8GB is almost certainly single rank sticks where 2x16GB can be dual rank (although more commonly single rank now). The move to dual rank modules gives a small speed boost even with the same speeds/timings. 4x8GB will also be running in dual rank.

Not sure how important it is on Intel but dual rank on AMD has a good effect.

Associate
One benefit no ones has mention is 2x8GB is almost certainly single rank sticks where 2x16GB can be dual rank (although more commonly single rank now). The move to dual rank modules gives a small speed boost even with the same speeds/timings. 4x8GB will also be running in dual rank.

Not sure how important it is on Intel but dual rank on AMD has a good effect.

There is improvement on Intel with dual rank as well but I do not know whether it is worth it if you have to buy extra memory but if you are after top performance definately go for dual rank.

I've heard that on intel 9th series overclocking the CPU may limit the overclock of the memory but these Vipers will probably have a very good timings at lower frequency as they should be B-die if I remember it correctly and if they havent't swapped them for different chips in the meantime.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is some advantage of extra memory, as Windows 10 will use spare memory for file caching, it's called standby memory.

Once files are cached into standby memory you should find game levels load faster the second time that same level is loaded. Other advantage windows / apps should be more snappy to load as again standby memory will cache common accessed files.

Soldato
For w/e reason any Nvidia GPU equal to or faster than a rtx2080ti gains an extra 5 to 10% 0.1% low performance by moving from 16gb to 32gb ram

Associate
Guys, 16GB these days are joke, unless all you do is just launching the game with nothing else running in the foreground and background.

The question should be 32 GB vs 64 GB, and for that I will say that for most people 32 GB is enough.

V F

V F

Soldato
Guys, 16GB these days are joke, unless all you do is just launching the game with nothing else running in the foreground and background.

The question should be 32 GB vs 64 GB, and for that I will say that for most people 32 GB is enough.

16GB doesn't cut it anymore. I like to game while listening to streams or videos in the background or sometimes music, loads of web pages open in Firefox and nothing bogs down.

I remember when I was playing Division 2 doing the same stuff and I was hovering between 14 - 15GB. I don't like being close to the limit.

Associate
I am playing and streaming and voice-over discord with 16GB at 3800 16-16-16 without any issues and plenty of unused ram. I even had an spare 4x8GB Bdie in a box in case someone wants them ;)

obviously, ram usage depends on the game but the ones I have tried got plenty with 16GB

V F

V F

Soldato
Why not 640 kB while at it?

16GB isn't enough for high end/enthusiast gaming with browsers, voice chat etc on background.

Funny, I remember many years ago the same discussions that 8GB was more than enough and now it's 16. Yet look where 16 is.

Soldato
It highly depends on the game, Doom Eternal? No. Cities: Skylines with mods will smash through 16gb.

It brings me back to my post from earlier in this thread:

This argument always comes down to do you have enough? If yes then adding more makes no difference. If no then adding more makes a difference.

Do you play any games which put your ram usage over 16gb? If the answer is yes, buy 32gb.

Soldato
16gb does fine for me, gaming, browser open, downloading at the same time, voice chat.

By the time I Need more I'll be looking at a ddr5 system and a new gpu and cpu anyway.

Associate
Right so I’m building my first PC in the next few days. Been reading these comments in this thread. Initially was going to go with 16GB. Is it worth getting 32GB or waiting for the DDR5? I’ll just be playing games and maybe streaming on the side but that’s about it. Could I survive on 16GB?

Doing a 3070 FE, 5600X build.

V F

V F

Soldato
Right so I’m building my first PC in the next few days. Been reading these comments in this thread. Initially was going to go with 16GB. Is it worth getting 32GB or waiting for the DDR5? I’ll just be playing games and maybe streaming on the side but that’s about it. Could I survive on 16GB?

Doing a 3070 FE, 5600X build.

DDR5 will cost you an arm and a leg for being an early adopter.

Associate
For w/e reason any Nvidia GPU equal to or faster than a rtx2080ti gains an extra 5 to 10% 0.1% low performance by moving from 16gb to 32gb ram
Most likely the improvement comes from dual rank per channel rather than increased amount of memory. And seen only in higher tier cards because thats where CPU bottleneck becomes the limitation.

Back
Top Bottom