Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Avro here too, I actually looked last night and had £360 credit as I hadn't had a bill from them yet. Lets see what happens....

I had near £600 in credit with them.. but their site has always been super broken. I can't access my account at all there.

From reading around I should just leave it and wait until new supplier contacts? No canceling of DD etc ? Is that the correct way to approach this?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I had near £600 in credit with them.. but their site has always been super broken. I can't access my account at all there.

From reading around I should just leave it and wait until new supplier contacts? No canceling of DD etc ? Is that the correct way to approach this?
Yeah their site was ****. I don't like supplies that only bill you every 6 months or whatever, That's why I like Ovo, while not the cheapest they have a brilliant app, a good website and consistent billing. If their tariff is much the average, I'll just go back to them.

Pretty much mate, cancel DD or not, makes little difference.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...n-ceases-trading---here-s-everything-you-nee/

Associate
Looks like a dodged a bullet signing up with E-on earlier this week (Avro currently). I assume my credit with Avro will transfer across? I'll contact E-on to find out the situation tomorrow.

Soldato
Is there a way to get these companies to allow you to settle the bill every month rather than a fixed monthly charge? I'd like to pay for what I've used but every deal seems to rely on this fixed monthly direct debit scenario.

Currently with Eon until Feb 2022.

Soldato
Is there a way to get these companies to allow you to settle the bill every month rather than a fixed monthly charge? I'd like to pay for what I've used but every deal seems to rely on this fixed monthly direct debit scenario.

Currently with Eon until Feb 2022.

I essentially do this with Octopus... They've put my DD up twice, I've then put it back down and pay the difference every month.

Soldato
Don't understand why people are overpaying - leastways Bulb have a good process - they know how much you have used last year and had acurately taken the right amount on the following year.
I just gave them the first reading since last december, in anticipation of leaving, and they were about £20 out.

I've just built one for about £5 in parts - yet to test, but copying someone else's design and that's been confirmed to work.
A battery pack isn't feasible either. As the microcontroller will need to be on 24/7 (otherwise no point capturing the data) it'll drink a decent amount of battery each day. You might get away with a few days on a big pack, but would be annoying having to keep recharging every few days.

you can do batteries, my cabinet is severasl meters from front door - looks like someone now productionized an earlier product I'd linked with interface in home assistant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/20207000-Electricity-Consumption-Battery-Powered-SmartThings/dp/B08WXT6HHJ
otherwise had been considering
https://www.mysensors.org/build/pulse_power with a 3AA battery pack.

just waiting form someone to productionize these, or I may go DIY https://www.develcoproducts.com/products/meter-interfaces/

Caporegime
115 ish a month - 3 bed detached. TV uses tonnes though (350w) although don't have on that often
Cheers. I live on my own but I'm unemployed so spend a decent amount of time on my PC and console every day. Use around 12kW a day although 4kW of that is off peak as I usually have a shower before bed and have the dehumidifier on overnight. Gas usage is 1 hour a day on hot water.

Soldato
you can do batteries, my cabinet is severasl meters from front door - looks like someone now productionized an earlier product I'd linked with interface in home assistant.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/20207000-Electricity-Consumption-Battery-Powered-SmartThings/dp/B08WXT6HHJ
otherwise had been considering
https://www.mysensors.org/build/pulse_power with a 3AA battery pack.

It looks cool, but insanely expensive for what's the equivalent of a few quid in parts. They all use the same design, just a photodiode LED and a microcontroller. That one doesn't actually say how it's powered, and if it's assumed battery what the capacity is.

I'm still dubious about them running on batteries though. I've got enough esp8266 boards running on batteries and heavily reliant on deep sleep to last. But this you'd need on 24/7. You'll get about 30 hours usage from a 2500mAh battery. So even if you get bigger batteries, it's still far too frequent that they'd need charging. I'd be looking to charge it maybe once every 6 months at most.

Caporegime
My new deal was 22p elec
Gas 5.4p

Up from
15p

What's the SVR unitrate?

Considering cancelling my switch.
Making a mistake on this is pretty significant in outcome

Soldato
I've also been considering solar and batteries for some years but the cost has not been justifiable

Has anyone considered buying shares in the wind farm? with the pricing, it looks like it will take 5-7 years to break even
Bit worried about the avro stories having just switched to them :(
same here I'm considering switching to someone else, but prices for me are £150 more than a week ago for variable fixed is £350 more
Should just nationalise the damn thing and put money into upgrading our energy infrastructure.
This winter is going to be very hard for a lot of people with rising costs for energy, fuel, food, goods and a cut in universal credit.
Ive been thinking the same for years, every important sector should have 1 nationalised company(BT, British gas, rail, royalmail etc), but they Fd this up themselves by selling everything off
Yep went with AVRO 3 weeks ago... Switch has just come through and BOOM.

Joy of joys...
Same

Just found out Avro is ceasing trading, I've only been with them for less than a day, just had the email to provide a meter reading but you cant. I should have gone with e-on or British when I had the chance. never thought this would happen, new quotes are about £300 more than a few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom