repair bumper or replace

Associate
Had a bit of a nightmare recently with the car resulting in a fairly cracked rear bumper.

Is this repairable do you think or is it replace with a new one? New one's aren't cheap and the insurance man was going on about total loss - as it was low speed impact then I'm hopeful there isn't any damage behind the bumper so hopefully won't come to that.

7RREGlQl.jpg

Associate
or second hand off ebay maybe lucky and get correct colour?
unless you have to go through insurance wouldnt think that would write it off but never know with insurance

Associate
OP
had a look at 2nd hand - not a huge amount there but would get one eventually.

Can't seem to find a new price, not even sure if VX have a stock or still make them but I've a feeling it could be upwards of £1k just for a bumper and paint.

Suppose it depends on what calcs they use for the write off, WBAC listed it at £3k, at a garage it could be selling for £4k, no idea on the scrap value.

As this happened 2 days before my renewal then I called up to advise and my premium from tomorrow only went up £40 and my excess is low so still far cheaper for me to go via insurance than buy a 2nd hand one and potentially have to get it spray painted.

It's worth more to me as only 1 owner since new (me) and low miles (approx 5k per year) but guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Associate
OP
UPDATE: looks like it is going to be a beyond economical repair job. The repairer it's at wouldn't tell me the details of what was required to be done and I needed to contact the insurance company for that. Phoned them up and got told it's been quoted as £2,700 (two thousand, seven hundred). Even with the current value based on the insurers 'market value' definition it's just over the current market value (although my value from WBAC is up 10% in the last week and a bit).

Having done some considerable research to determine what I should be looking for as market value it's probably around £4.5k tops which is bang on the 60% marker but I'm not sure the insurance co will offer that up straight away.

Waiting on the details from insurance co to see what was determined as needing done so I can speak to my local garage about the non bumper related bits and get an idea of cost and look to get a bumper from ebay or something and get a paintshop to prep and spray it for me.

Probably end up buying it back if the buy back price is good as it's a one owner car with on average 5k miles per year and FDSH so I know every mile it's done.

Soldato
Unreal, back when i was younger a bump like that was nothing if you had a common car that had been about for a fair bit. About £150 from the local scap yard, plus £80 for the respray.

How times have changed.

Soldato
on a 4k car i personally wouldn't even bother fixing it especially if you're planning on keeping it to run into the ground, i might try and push it back out from the other side and call it a day. I'd probably keep an eye out in a few scrap yards and eBay searches and get a cheap bumper in the same colour when one popped up.

Edit: looks like they're around the £100-200 mark on eBay, there's a black one with a small crack up at the moment for 150 notes, id keep an eye out for similar and just put that on, for sure wouldn't be bothering with insurance.

Last edited:
Associate
UPDATE: looks like it is going to be a beyond economical repair job. The repairer it's at wouldn't tell me the details of what was required to be done and I needed to contact the insurance company for that. Phoned them up and got told it's been quoted as £2,700 (two thousand, seven hundred). Even with the current value based on the insurers 'market value' definition it's just over the current market value (although my value from WBAC is up 10% in the last week and a bit).

Having done some considerable research to determine what I should be looking for as market value it's probably around £4.5k tops which is bang on the 60% marker but I'm not sure the insurance co will offer that up straight away.

Waiting on the details from insurance co to see what was determined as needing done so I can speak to my local garage about the non bumper related bits and get an idea of cost and look to get a bumper from ebay or something and get a paintshop to prep and spray it for me.

Probably end up buying it back if the buy back price is good as it's a one owner car with on average 5k miles per year and FDSH so I know every mile it's done.

That’s ridiculous price , just get it repaired locally , max should be £500 .

Soldato
How was that damage done? Whose insurance company are you claiming off and who are they?

If it was a low speed impact, and no structural damage could be done, then it's just a bumper replacement. The problem is for the insurance company this could be "uneconomical", but their cost for the job is provided by a body shop whose price for the job is probably about £2k higher than a local independent could do it for.

Depending how damage was done it seems like a fair claim and disappointing that the insurance company regards it as a total loss, because it's just an easy bumper replacement.

Associate
OP
How was that damage done? Whose insurance company are you claiming off and who are they?

If it was a low speed impact, and no structural damage could be done, then it's just a bumper replacement. The problem is for the insurance company this could be "uneconomical", but their cost for the job is provided by a body shop whose price for the job is probably about £2k higher than a local independent could do it for.

Depending how damage was done it seems like a fair claim and disappointing that the insurance company regards it as a total loss, because it's just an easy bumper replacement.

Claiming off my own insurance, my own fault so no issues with that, 2 days before renewal as well but the increase in annual premium wasn't much at all and my excess is low as well so was worth giving them a go to fix it. The assessor verbally told me that it was a new bumper but some other stuff needing done behind it as well, defined as damage, didn't go into too much detail unfortunately so waiting for the details from the insurance co.

Think that might be off a corsa E - needs to be one like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393408135209?epid=15010899921&hash=item5b98f3c029:g:JEIAAOSwEZlg1I1k

Soldato
e: maybe not that one
rear bumper black £200 all in https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164760911314 ?
:cry:

Next thread - "how do I repair this crappy bumper I bought"

Definitely going to need a look underneath, that looks like a healthy bang though so likely the support bar beneath - worst case its affected the boot floor. Should have checked spare wheel well for damage. Absolute worst case its kinked the whole car and chassis needs jigging.

Get report - buy back - take your time in acquiring a second hand bumper from eBay and move on with your life.

Assuming you were at fault.

Associate
OP
:cry:

Next thread - "how do I repair this crappy bumper I bought"

Definitely going to need a look underneath, that looks like a healthy bang though so likely the support bar beneath - worst case its affected the boot floor. Should have checked spare wheel well for damage. Absolute worst case its kinked the whole car and chassis needs jigging.

Get report - buy back - take your time in acquiring a second hand bumper from eBay and move on with your life.

Assuming you were at fault.

Doesn't have a spare wheel well as the factory exhaust used the space where a spare wheel would go. Had a look in the boot space though and no creases or anything when I got it home. Didn't feel any different to drive but will wait and see, maybe just something needing replaced. Support bar looks reasonably cheap so once I get the actual detail from insurance co I'll have a better idea. Assessor didn't mention any chassis work so hopefully ok.

The bumper and diffuser unpainted probably come in at half that 2.7k, paint work is probably a fair whack as well.

Hopefully the insurance company can make a decision on this soon as I'm keen to get on with it one way or another.

Soldato
Someone might be able to patch it with fibreglass, but the cheapest way is probably find a matching one from a breaker/scrap yard. You don't have to do it right away, the car won't fall to bits :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The bumper and diffuser unpainted probably come in at half that 2.7k, paint work is probably a fair whack as well.

Are you prepared to do the work yourself ?
if you are happy with a 95% colour match and check out online manuals for technique, then can present the insurance company with that option.
if the repairer listed the parts and you can get them , like the £360 bumper you linked, plus whatever clips etc. are needed , could be easy, and under £500 as bounce said.

(I've had a near match bonnet on a previous car - not an issue - a badge of honour)

Soldato
Someone might be able to patch it with fibreglass, but the cheapest way is probably find a matching one from a breaker/scrap yard. You don't have to do it right away, the car won't fall to bits :p
You wouldn't fibreglass a bumper like that, you'd plastic weld it. Looks too FUBARed though as its spit at the boot line too.

Associate
Look for breakers online/fb/etc.
Check their report to see what parts you need to be changing, get what needs to be resprayed done and you should be back to normal, albeit with a category registered car!

Back
Top Bottom