What vitamins do you take and why?

Soldato
Biocare multivitamin
Pharmepa maintain omega 3
Turmeric & black pepper
Mushroom complex

And why, ulcerative colitis as recommended by a private dietician after a raft of private blood tests, they did also recommend a probiotic but I stopped this a long time ago in favour of fermented veg and yoghurt

You mind saying what your blood tests results were, I'm going through similar thing

Associate
Anyone taking Vitamin D3 remember you should take Vitamin K2 also.

K2 ensures that calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass etc, avoiding calcium build up in the arteries.

Also Vitamin D3 can't be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, so adding a magnesium supplement is advisable if you are deficient.

Associate
What's everyone's recommendation on fishy oils and vitamin D? Is it like magnesium where there are crap versions?

Yes, with fishy oils you get what you pay for, look for third party testing for heavy metals etc.

Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, 1,280 mg Fish Oil, 180 Soft Gels : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Vitamin K with D3 (renamed Synergy K) (purebio.co.uk)
Magnesium Glycinate (purebio.co.uk)

With Nordic Naturals you can even download a certificate of analysis:-

Nordic Naturals CofA

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
You mind saying what your blood tests results were, I'm going through similar thing

Surprisingly perfect for someone with an inflammatory condition. Gut tests only showed one bacteria that was low can't remember which one, wait one minute

It was great to see you again this evening.

As discussed with you, your blood tests were reassuringly normal.

With regard to your stool test, the lactobacillus bacteria family is low so I am suggesting a three month course of probiotics.

You can buy them from here www.biocare.co.uk You will need to register then search for Bio-acidophilus 10 billion in the probiotic section. (The code for this item is 16860).

I would start with x 1(ONE) daily with breakfast for a week, then increase to
x 2(TWO) daily with breakfast for two months. Keep in the fridge.

In the meantime I am suggesting removing lactose for four weeks just to see if this helps with symptoms. Many IBD sufferers can be lactose intolerant. I am attaching some ingredients to remove. Replace dairy/lactose with either Alpro, Lactofree (lactofree.co.uk) or almond.oat milks.

Do keep in touch. There will be no charge for this. I suggest about four weeks.

Tea Drinker
Don
Recommendations for a lactose free diet

If you want to try four to six weeks lactose free or have been diagnosed as lactose intolerant by breath test here are some tips as to what to avoid.

Ingredients to avoid

Ÿ Butter

Ÿ Butter Oil

Ÿ Calcium caseinate

Ÿ Casein

Ÿ Cheese

Ÿ Cream

Ÿ Demineralised whey

Ÿ Lactalbumin

Ÿ Milk powder

Ÿ Skimmed milk powder

Ÿ Milk solids

Ÿ Non fat milk

Ÿ Non fat milk solids

Ÿ Sodium caseinate

Ÿ Sweet whey powder

Ÿ Whey

Ÿ Whey protein concentrate

Ÿ Whey Solids

Ÿ Ammonium caseinate

Ÿ Caramel colouring

Ÿ Caramel flavouring

Ÿ Dried milk

Ÿ Dried milk solids

Ÿ Hydrolysed casein

Ÿ Hydrolysed milk protein

Ÿ Lactoferrin

Ÿ Magnesium casein ate

Ÿ Potassium casein ate

Ÿ Rennet casein

You may find after a few months of a total lactose-free diet that you are able to eat some dairy food. Some cheeses are low in lactose i.e. cheddar, emmental, and parmesan and you may find eating live yoghurt far easier than milk. This can vary from person to person, and you may need to experiment before you find out exactly what you can and cannot tolerate. Keep a diary if you are losing track of your symptoms.

Supplements

If you are avoiding lactose/dairy food long term, you will need to be careful and watch your intake of calcium. A recommended daily doseage of calcium would be 1,000mg. You will also need to be aware that cutting out dairy/lactose produce reduces your intake of vitamin A and D, so a good multi vitamin would be required as well as a diet high in these vitamins. Certainly increasing foods with Vitamin A and D and sourcing no dairy foods with calcium will help.

Foods high in Vitamin A

Ÿ Calves liver

Ÿ Eggs

Ÿ Herring/Mackerel

Ÿ Kippers

Ÿ White Fish

Foods high in Vitamin D (don’t forget the sun!)

Ÿ Mackerel/Herring

Ÿ Kipper/Tinned salmon

Ÿ Sardines

Ÿ Tuna

Ÿ Eggs

Foods high in Calcium

Ÿ Whitebait

Ÿ Sardines

Ÿ Tofu

Ÿ Spring Greens

Ÿ Raw spinach

Ÿ Prawns

Ÿ Baked beans

Ÿ Canned salmon

Ÿ Almonds

Substitutes for milk

If substituting cows milk for soya or rice milk, try and buy a brand with added calcium and vitamins. There are many dairy free/lactose free choices now in supermarkets. The most popular are Alpro and Lactofree. Check their websites to see what product ranges are available.

Soldato
Cod liver oil and I usually drink a cheapo version of berocca, it's all water soluble so anything my body doesn't use I just pee out and I like the taste of them.

Soldato
Depends on level of wealth. The ultra-dirt-bag-underground-wealthy have blood transfusions from healthy children people

To be fair, if it works....

I remember a long time ago i took a lot of fun pills on a night out. Ended up in a really bad way and my mates took me to hospital, my mates still laugh that i was apparently all hooked up to the ecg machines and "raving to my own heartbeat". They put me on some kind of drip and the next day i felt perfectly fine whereas everyone else had a massive come down.

Almost suggests there's a benefit to over consumption :p

Soldato
Currently taking daily multivitamin and trying a separate B complex for the first time, in the hope of improving my general energy levels.

Will be ordering up Vit D soon, probably in oral spray form again, something I originally started once the pandemic hit but should also help reduce the frequency and intensity of any respiratory lurgies I catch.

I have a semi-carnivore diet, typically eating a small amount of meat/fish at lunch, as I can't be faffed with separate meal bits when cooking dinner for my vegan partner and I.

Last edited:
Associate
Most vitamins are unnecessary unless you have a specific health issue where you fail to take them up properly OR you have a poor diet. A proper diet should make vits unnecessary

Capodecina
Soldato
I didn't know we had so many nutritionists at OCUK who are qualified to advise against taking vitamin supplements. This place is truly a font of knowledge.

Man of Honour
I didn't know we had so many nutritionists at OCUK who are qualified to advise against taking vitamin supplements. This place is truly a font of knowledge.
I would imagine they do exist on here, I have no idea if they are commenting on this thread however.

Associate
I take a general multi vitamin, mainly for the vitamin D and iron.

Remember to take the tablet with food and water as some vitamins are water or fat soluble so cannot be absorbed otherwise.

Soldato
It is pretty sound advice tbf. Unless you have a specific deficiency why would you need a multi-vit? Lots of well marketed fancy packages showing world class athletes doesn't give you much confidence that the multi vit for health is enough of a justification.

People also use them as a means to justify their terrible diets.

Soldato
Soldato
I would imagine they do exist on here, I have no idea if they are commenting on this thread however.

They are. ;)

Can only suggest not prescribe but in any case it’s a logical and evidence-based approach: if you’re deficient in something because your diet sucks, you don’t need supplements which aren’t always absorbed properly or come in odd ratios, you need a less awful diet which will confer far more health benefits (e.g. things like fibre, healthy gut biome, satiety). It’s really not that hard to exceed the minimum recommendations for micronutrients if every day you eat some fruit/veg/whole grains/high protein foods/dairy etc.

Exceptions are really for people who on specific diets that restrict certain food groups or random stuff like if you’re a woman with heavy periods that tends not to eat much red meat and has chronically low iron. The supplement industry largely exists to sell people cherries to put on the top of cakes they haven’t even baked, let alone iced. Priorities completely back to front. For the general population it’s half the stuff for sale in Holland & Barrett, for people that train it’s all the ridiculous pre-workouts stimulants, EAAs, BCAAs, ‘fat burners’ (lol, no), test boosters (also lol, no) and other stuff that does nothing but part you with your money.

The exception is ‘the D’ as has been covered and with things like oily fish a) not everyone likes it b) it’s not always the cheapest thing in the world to buy regularly so while Omega 6 and 9 intakes tend to be ok in the West, Omega 3 intakes tend to often be low and supplementation is often a good idea. (If you’re a vegetarian then you can get kelp/seaweed-based O3’s).

Back
Top Bottom