repair bumper or replace

Soldato
Yeah again i just don't understand why you're involving the insurance at all? it seems a massive lose lose?

You'll have a CAT car now, higher premiums for several years and way way more hassle than just buying a bumper off eBay and fitting in over an afternoon for minimal expense?

Associate
OP
Yeah again i just don't understand why you're involving the insurance at all? it seems a massive lose lose?

You'll have a CAT car now, higher premiums for several years and way way more hassle than just buying a bumper off eBay and fitting in over an afternoon for minimal expense?

At fault claim for me, other car involved which needs stuff done, according to my verbal conversation it needs more than just a bumper although I'm waiting on the final details getting emailed to me, might call up and see what is happening today.

if it's a CAT N or CAT S that doesn't massively bother me as I was planning on running it until it goes proper end of life.

One thing I'm not clear on yet, and may discuss with the insurance co is if they want to write it off Cat N or S can I say no thanks just give me the car back and I'll fix it myself?

Also, this happened 2 days before renewal so I needed to get it all dealt with quite quickly, they recalculated my premium for me and it was only an extra few pounds, think it was £40 roughly. Excess is also very low so from that perspective it sort of makes sense.

Soldato
At fault claim for me, other car involved which needs stuff done, according to my verbal conversation it needs more than just a bumper although I'm waiting on the final details getting emailed to me, might call up and see what is happening today.

if it's a CAT N or CAT S that doesn't massively bother me as I was planning on running it until it goes proper end of life.

One thing I'm not clear on yet, and may discuss with the insurance co is if they want to write it off Cat N or S can I say no thanks just give me the car back and I'll fix it myself?

Also, this happened 2 days before renewal so I needed to get it all dealt with quite quickly, they recalculated my premium for me and it was only an extra few pounds, think it was £40 roughly. Excess is also very low so from that perspective it sort of makes sense.
Other car can claim against you and you don't pay your excess. Just get your car back and fix it yourself.

Soldato
It just goes to show what a rip-off car insurance really is when it can't actually get minor damage to your car repaired.

Yep they should just offer write off and injury cover for a cheap premium as they are pretty useless at the things in between. Its less hassle and long term costs to just repair cosmetic damage yourself on older cars.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Got my car back, it's going to be a CAT S, got a very reasonable offer from the insurance co for writing it off and the salvage price was fair as well. As I need to get a new MOT with current insurer before it can be reinsured with them they stopped my policy.

Went online to another major insurer and got a quote there as they don't have any such requirements just that it has a valid MOT and having a car declared a CAT N or S doesn't void the MOT. Declared the at fault accident and my insurance came out cheaper than it was with previous insurer, grand total of £160 (one hundred and sixty). Noticed this insurer asked about the type of claim and date but didn't ask about value of the claim, I expect that is obtainable from some database.

So, got my car back, a few grand in the bank and going to see about getting it fixed now, if it turns out it needs more than first thought I can always scrap it and get the value of the salvage. As I planned to run the car until end of life any hit to future resale value doesn't really bother me but having done the numbers I think I've done alright.

boot floor looks perfectly straight as they left the plastic panel off when they dropped it off so that seems to be ok, panel the crash bar attaches to is pushed in a bit on one side but that can hopefully be pulled out as it's nowhere near as bad as some of the videos I've watched on youtube with similar damage.

As I don't urgently need a car it seemed like a good opportunity to try something a bit different.

Insurance company haven't asked for the V5 yet though which looks to be a bit unusual but it's taxed, insured and MOT'd so I'll look into that a bit further.

Back
Top Bottom