Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
It used to be, the problem is now that to upgrade my iphone 11 pro max 512gb, with applecare, clear-case and USB power adapter it costs:

1349inc for the phone, 189inc for applecare plus and 49 for the clear-case and 19 for the charger = 1,606inc vat.

Instead, I can throw my Realme 5G in the bin every 12 months for the next ten years. I don't actually need OS updates for the next six years because I will dispose of it every 12 months.

If I were to stick with apple and do this, its going to cost me 16,060 quid inc. If I move the iphones on for 6,512, I am looking at a lifetime cost over 10 years of 9,548 versus approx 1,750 for the Realme, if i include a couple of Sandisk memory cards as Realme throw in a case and charger in the box.

A few points:
1. AppleCare lasts for 2 years. You've multiplied £189 x 10, instead of assuming a 50% refund of unused premiums when you upgrade every 12 months.
2. Why are you including AppleCare in your sums, but not assuming the potential of at least one breakage for the Realme that will require the purchase of a whole new phone?
3. Why would you buy a £50 case and £20 charger every year? What's wrong with buying a £15 quid case of Amazon and using the same charger?
4. If cost is an issue, why would you upgrade an iPhone every year anyway? Why not make it last three years? I'm using a 3-year-old iPhone XS that will be perfectly good into its fourth and probably fifth years. I'd rather use this for another year or two than swap it for an £165 Realme.

Do what works for you, of course, but your workings are totally skewed to make it seem like a cheap Chinese phone is a far better proposition than it really is.

Soldato
It used to be, the problem is now that to upgrade my iphone 11 pro max 512gb, with applecare, clear-case and USB power adapter it costs:

1349inc for the phone, 189inc for applecare plus and 49 for the clear-case and 19 for the charger = 1,606inc vat.

Instead, I can throw my Realme 5G in the bin every 12 months for the next ten years. I don't actually need OS updates for the next six years because I will dispose of it every 12 months.

If I were to stick with apple and do this, its going to cost me 16,060 quid inc. If I move the iphones on for 6,512, I am looking at a lifetime cost over 10 years of 9,548 versus approx 1,750 for the Realme, if i include a couple of Sandisk memory cards as Realme throw in a case and charger in the box.

You’re missing the most important thing, you’ve got a Realme rather than an iPhone.

You’d be as well drinking water directly from the Thames and calming it saved you’d £4K over 10 years.

Soldato
You’re missing the most important thing, you’ve got a Realme rather than an iPhone.

Up to the Iphone X that would have really bothered me, In 2021 I am not convinced the gap is big enough between the two. The Iphone is a mass produced Chinese item, it just has better engineering but if you cant actually quantify that outside of benchmarks, it becomes a tough sell.

I hope the IPhone 14 corrects this view but I think the Iphone probably peaked with the Iphone X and the big gaps will remain on the Ipad, at least for the forseeable, because that is where the Apple CPU/GPU and overall engineering have more value to me.

I have just had a look and my Ipad Pro 12.9inch 512GB+Cellular upgrade is actually a sniff cheaper than the Iphone 13 Pro would have been.

Somethings not quite right with that, we are being ripped off for the Iphone Pro in 2021.

Soldato
.Somethings not quite right with that, we are being ripped off for the Iphone Pro in 2021.
No one said the iPhone was value for money - Apple sell them for as high price as they can get away with.
They could even sell the Pro version in the same way as Rolex do with their watches - Price it massively high, limit the supply, only available through approved Apple shops and demand previous iPhone Pro purchase history within the last 12 months to even be considered to get on the waiting list.

Soldato
512gb iPad Pro 12.9 + cellular is £1,449, 13 pro 512gb is £1,249.

No one said the iPhone was value for money - Apple sell them for as high price as they can get away with.
They could even sell the Pro version in the same way as Rolex do with their watches - Price it massively high, limit the supply, only available through approved Apple shops and demand previous iPhone Pro purchase history within the last 12 months to even be considered to get on the waiting list.

Agree, every single company and person sells or try’s to sell for the highest price possible. Apple are unique in that they sell for a good mark up as well as quantity. If the phone was garbage no one would buy it.

Soldato
I’m fairly sure there will be significant licensing costs associated with the iPhone that aren’t needed for the iPad to do with phone, SMS, MMS etc. functionality.

I doubt the bomb cost between the two will be that different. They are likely within a few $.

Soldato
I always thought it was harder and more expensive to shrink tech into a phone-sized body as well.

That could be outdated reasoning on my part.

Soldato
If you look at the boards historically in iPads they are almost identical in size to those in the plus sizes phones. iPad batteries are huge by comparison due to the bigger screens.

Soldato
Tldr

The reason the 13 and pro is so much faster this year is because they are using a ported and modified M1 chip.

Apple calls it the A15 but in truth it's a baby M1

Soldato

Apple don't limit the supply, they are the only ones making them. They make as many as I can sell. iPhones are still a number of units based business. It's not Porsche special editions or Rolex here.

Caporegime
Must admit, both me and the wife are tempted by the 13s. She's a year+ in with her S20 and likes it, but the battery is crap and the fingerprint scanner is complete garbage.

I really like my Poco F3 but there are a few standout niggles, some of which are becoming really grating (still great value @ £350). The 13 Pro ticks all my boxes - excellent camera, excellent battery and no doubt - will have an excellent screen.

I'm just weary of jumping eco system as I don't really have any other Apple devices, she at least has an M1 Macbook.

Edit - @Squink thank you, that's good to know. I am almost certainly just wishing I have one at this stage, will see how my F3 handles its first trip abroad.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just weary of jumping eco system as I don't really have any other Apple devices, she at least has an M1 Macbook.

The whole 'ecosystem' thing is when you've bought an iPhone and then all the related stuff like Homepods, Apple Watches, Airpods, Magsafe chargers etc that don't work with any devices other than ones made by Apple - that makes it harder to move to Android. An iPhone works perfectly fine as a standalone device, in the same way as Android does. Unless you've purchased dozens and dozens of expensive apps on Android, you don't need to worry about an 'ecosystem' when moving to iOS.

Soldato
They tried it with the Apple Watch and it failed remember?

Yes - nobody wanted to spend Rolex money on a piece of tech that would be worth no more than scrap gold value in a handful of years.

Just the same way nobody would be buying a halo iPhone Pro either.

Soldato
Mrs was due an upgrade, and she normal picks up a used previous Gen model, currently on an original X , I joked with her about just getting an iPad min instead, since she only really uses it as a media device, and uses her Bluetooth headset for calls, so the joke turned into reality, and she ordered an brand new Mini in purple 256GB, with 5G cellular - £677 - cheaper than a phone, bigger screen, better battery life, losing out on a slightly better camera that never really gets used. If she hates it then it will go back within the 14 days. :)

Back
Top Bottom