LED Bulbs for dimmable touch lamps

Soldato
Hi,

Has anyone had any success with dimmable bulbs in touch lamps?

Currently using halogens but the lamps get used a lot so want to swap to LEDs

The reason I ask is because even with the halogens the lowest setting flickers like a haunted house on both lamps so I want make sure I get the right ones that will work on the lowest setting without issue

Thanks

Associate
IME LEDs just don't work great in touch lamps that are designed for halogen bulbs. I've tried a few different ones in mine, but the brightness difference between each of the levels is next to nothing compared to a halogen bulb.

Soldato
OP
IME LEDs just don't work great in touch lamps that are designed for halogen bulbs. I've tried a few different ones in mine, but the brightness difference between each of the levels is next to nothing compared to a halogen bulb.

Ah ok that's a shame, thanks for letting me know saved me the hassle

Soldato
yep - doesnt work I have an earlier thread - they are not trailing edge dimmers;
I took the touch out and wired in a trailing analogue/knob dimmer

Soldato
OP
yep - doesnt work I have an earlier thread - they are not trailing edge dimmers;
I took the touch out and wired in a trailing analogue/knob dimmer

Thanks for confirming, how simple is that to do? I don't think I'll be able to talk the wife into changing the lamps!

Is it easy enough for someone like me who is confident enough to install ceiling lights?

Soldato
Is it easy enough for someone like me who is confident enough to install ceiling lights?
there were 4 wires going to the bulb head to identify/distinguish the supply voltages and the touch 'signal' + earth.
you then remove the touch controller, put in a chocolate block, cut the incoming cable; I put the dimmer in surface mount socket 'box'

Soldato
Shameless hijacking rather than starting a new thread.

Fitting LED bulbs in my house and bought these dimmable ones.
DEWENWILS Dimmable GU10 LED Bulbs, 5W(50W Halogen Replacement), Warm White 2700K, 120° Wide Beam, 350LM Recessed Lighting Bulbs, CRI 80+, 10 Pack, CE and ROHS Listed [Energy Class A+] : Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

They work a treat replacing some halogens in a dimmer circuit in the office, very happy, dimming function is great.

However when I put them in a dimmer circuit in the kitchen, also replacing halogens, they are like strobe lighting no matter what I dial the dimmer to.

I guess not all circuits are wired the same? Both have 4 lights in so I didn't expect any difference. Anyone know a brand or type I should get that won't flicker?

Associate
You will probably need a replacement dimmer switch that is compatible with leds and requires less of a load to function correctly.

Soldato
OK thanks. There's two switches on the plate, and the other has a halogen light in the circuit still. I guess that would have to swap to LED too if we swapped the whole switch out for an LED compatible? Or can you run a halogen off an LED dimmer?

Soldato
OK thanks. There's two switches on the plate, and the other has a halogen light in the circuit still. I guess that would have to swap to LED too if we swapped the whole switch out for an LED compatible? Or can you run a halogen off an LED dimmer?

You can probably swap the dimmer module without changing the whole thing.

The LED dimmer might be able to dim halogen, you'll need to check they can handle the higher wattage of the halogen lamps. The other ting is some dimmers actually have an LED mode and a halogen mode depending on what you're using.

As a quick bodge it might be worth swapping one of the LEDs back to halogen. Most dimmers have a minimum load they can handle, so sometimes swapping one lamp back to halogen will make it work.

Soldato
OP
there were 4 wires going to the bulb head to identify/distinguish the supply voltages and the touch 'signal' + earth.
you then remove the touch controller, put in a chocolate block, cut the incoming cable; I put the dimmer in surface mount socket 'box'

Great thanks I might give this a go

Associate
The best solution I've come across for me is the bulbs that actually dim themselves such as Philips Hue or cheaper alternatives. Absolutely no flicker even on the dimmest setting.

Associate
Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion. They are not specific to lamp type as it is the bulb that dims so won't be suitable for a touch dimmer. I just find they are better than trying to get a led bulb to dim where the switch performs the dimming function if you know what I mean. I've tried a few dimmable bulbs and they all have bad points. Some flicker at low levels, others don't seems to last that long (3 months) even though I was using a led compatible dimmer. Maybe I've just been unlucky. Since using smart bulbs, I won't want to go to anything else because they just works.

Soldato
These have worked "OK" for us....

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082B4Q1XW/

meaning they are used in four three way dimmable lamps and each lamp will dim to three levels of brightness with no flickering. Well one of the lamps has a slight flicker on one level of brightness. The three brightness levels are now.......bright, really bright and then dimmer. Kinda messed up but they work. No audible buzzing noted, or if any buzz does happen it hasn't been noticed so far and they have been in since May of this year.
I know that it states they will not work in the advert but much to our surprise they are good enough to replace the halogen bulbs we had in the Argos bought LED dimmable lamps.

Not perfect but ok.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom