Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Yeah, sometime around the start of August '22 they'll give you prices for the next year of Go.

https://octopus.energy/blog/go-faqs/

Awesome thanks for that.

Just looking into the battery option in order to take advantage of this for the longer term.

As long as battery prices don't go crazy (on theory should go down) and energy prices seem to rise I could use some equity from the house and this would pay for itself in a handful of years.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I also switched to Go last week 16p/5p for a year whilst the rest of the market skyrockets. I don't even have an electric car.
I started a switch to them last Thursday, I hope this doesn’t mean I’m going to get bent over when the switch actually happens :(

Soldato
Yeah basically companies are being forced to subsidise.
Can't really carry on can it.

They would ultimately have to nationalise British Gas if they wanted to continue subsidising energy costs indefinitely. I think the short term plan from the Govt is to intervene as a last resort (like with the CO2 / fertiliser company) and wait to see if the market settles abruptly in the same way it went berserk without warning - for example the French cable will be repaired at some point.

The windfall tax on those who are profiting big from this may also help, even the threat of it may prompt intervention from companies that would otherwise be happy to sit back and cash in like they are doing right now. Remember, your money's ultimately going to someone who just struck gold with this situation e.g. nuclear operators who don't rely on wholesale gas to operate.

Soldato
Thats why they went bust. It's the usual race to the bottom but with no proper planning and then they go to the wall

Aye it was the same thing with the deregulation of the telecoms all the small ISP's that popped up and subsequently went bust as they couldn't make it pay, arguably its places like MSE that encourage the growth of businesses like this and switching to the lowest tariff and like the south sea bubble they burst. Banking went through the same thing I had money in an Icelandic bank but pulled it just before it went bust, all recommendations from MSE

Soldato
I logged into my Avro account yesterday just after the announcement to download my statements.

I wanted to do the same but only tried to login today and the site is broken. Allows me to login but doesnt show anything on the tiles.Cant even check what my balance was.
I managed to get my latest statement yesterday and input my latest figures as I was in the process of switching to sainsburys as I knew this was coming

Caporegime
Aye it was the same thing with the deregulation of the telecoms all the small ISP's that popped up and subsequently went bust as they couldn't make it pay, arguably its places like MSE that encourage the growth of businesses like this and switching to the lowest tariff and like the south sea bubble they burst. Banking went through the same thing I had money in an Icelandic bank but pulled it just before it went bust, all recommendations from MSE
I only went with Green because of their cheap energy club. Had excellent customer reviews on MSE yet my experience and reading reviews of them elsewhere painted a completely different picture. Hard not to think they're just paid to promote now.

Soldato
I’m not really sure you can blame comparison sites for this. All they do is show you who has the cheapest price. MSE is probably the best because other like uswitch only show the deals they are getting paid for by default. MSE will show you everything and normally disclose where they are being paid.

It’s ultimately the fault of the supplier if they go bust.

Soldato
I’m not really sure you can blame comparison sites for this. All they do is show you who has the cheapest price

That's not what they do, they are paid to promote and they are well and truly in the pocket of the big companies. If I recall correctly, confused.com is actually owned by one of the big insurance companies and the "best deals" are generally made up from companies that are linked to the parent company financially in some beneficial way.

There are some benefits to be had, but there's some scam-like activity going on behind the scenes in a lot of cases.

Soldato
Ah, if they increase the payment then you can pay a lump sum to revert it back?

I just put it back down and pay whatever is outstanding (if anything). They are good at sending emails telling you how wonderful they are and that they've gone out of the way to recalculate the DD based on my usage... For 9 months of the year my usage is covered by my DD.

Back
Top Bottom