What retro things have you done today?

Associate
Seems like im not the only one who spotted the "DIAMOND" in the rough...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133877925471?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&autorefresh=true

put 40 in day 1 and got outbid :p
If you're into reselling them, there could be a lot of money to be made, I saw a SB 16 and Vibra, but other cool cards too. I won't bind on them, I ran out of space :D
Check the guy's other listings, he's got a loot of motherboards and CPU's for sale. I wonder if they're actually not tested, but when someone says "gold recovery" they usually not into computer parts :D

Soldato
If you're into reselling them, there could be a lot of money to be made, I saw a SB 16 and Vibra, but other cool cards too. I won't bind on them, I ran out of space :D
Check the guy's other listings, he's got a loot of motherboards and CPU's for sale. I wonder if they're actually not tested, but when someone says "gold recovery" they usually not into computer parts :D
I certainly was bidding with picking some out and selling the rest individually. But more and more these days these auctions go crazy.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had £63 on that and with 2 seconds to go was winning at £42. Was quite annoyed at missing out! (Unless someone from here won it :p)

Associate
I certainly was bidding with picking some out and selling the rest individually. But more and more these days these auctions go crazy.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-lot-of-old-retro-computer-parts-motherboards-CPUs-etc-/324780406619?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=QmjgDh9j72pz%2BeecuoGBoCSjtMU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had £63 on that and with 2 seconds to go was winning at £42. Was quite annoyed at missing out! (Unless someone from here won it :p)
It sure wasn't me :D, but I know the feeling. I usually decide upon an amount I'm comfortable with and add 5£ on top as back-up. If it sells for less I'm happy about the good deal, if it sells for more I won't be disappointed as it exceeded my expectations :)
I'm trying to stay away from buying any more stuff, don't have the space for them, otherwise I would be interested in that job lot of motherboards. For the right price, of course :D

Soldato
I only wanted the Cx5x86-100GP cpu that was in one of the motherboards! Would probably have tinkered around with the others before putting them back up to sell.

I am tempted by the PODP83 thats currently on ebay but at 150 its probably double what I would think is "acceptable" to pay and I dont want to anger the seller by offering literally half. Probably going to pick up a AM5x86-P75 as there are a few at an ok price right now although they have the lasered on text on the top where I really remember the white painted ones.

Couple of unexpected pickups in CEX today too:

Always going to pay a quid for a quid for a boxed game, has the big fat manual too. I had the demo of the star wars game back in the day and never got to play the full game so that should be fun.

Soldato
OK so this is very loosely retro. I wanted a mechanical keyboard with a little bit of a retro look about it. So i made an offer for this bgrade keyboard

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £84.80 (includes shipping: £9.90)

I got some cheap keycaps from rainforest. and i dont think it looks to bad. The only fault is the function keys dont line up with the LEDs no big deal. and the orange enter key for the number pad wouldnt fit.

AUdn2Yq.jpg
vgWy3yN.jpg

Soldato
Spent 2-3hours last night filming the 486dx4 build only for the motherboard to crap out. PCI slots appear to have broken/intermittent signal and for this build I want PCI VGA so looks like im on the hunt for another socket 3 pci motherboard.

Associate
Another old desktop saved from a skip going to landfill. Be nice to find one with an AGP slot but the SFF makes up for it with this one.

DSCN0049.jpg

Soldato
Another old desktop saved from a skip going to landfill. Be nice to find one with an AGP slot but the SFF makes up for it with this one.

DSCN0049.jpg
I sold one of these a while back and almost got scammed :p

Managed to diagnose my 486 board although its possibly not repairable by me... The chipset legs need reflowing as the ISA slots were functioning fine but the PCI slots were not getting any love. I figured the board had been flexing a lot during the build and after adding some pressure to the chipset sure enough the PCI slots woke up!

Be happy if I can fix it as I cannot find any replacements in the UK and none in the EU for sub £100!

Caporegime
I sold one of these a while back and almost got scammed :p

Managed to diagnose my 486 board although its possibly not repairable by me... The chipset legs need reflowing as the ISA slots were functioning fine but the PCI slots were not getting any love. I figured the board had been flexing a lot during the build and after adding some pressure to the chipset sure enough the PCI slots woke up!

Be happy if I can fix it as I cannot find any replacements in the UK and none in the EU for sub £100!
Sounds simple enough for someone to fix. Decent flux and a decent iron shouldn’t even need hot air for this as the legs are exposed.

The need for decent flux and a temperature controllable iron is a MUST though, otherwise it’ll be all too easy to bridge pins together. The key is to not let the iron touch the pads/legs and instead rely on a molten ball of solder on the tip of the iron.

AMTech NC-599-V2-TF flux and a decent 60/40 leaded solder should do the trick. Then grab a TS80 or TS100 iron.

Soldato
@paradigm I might try it but am super scared of bridging some pins together. Covering it in flux and then dragging the iron over looks to be a method I could try...

I'm just glad the board is able to be fixed!

I still have the 2 socket 370 motherboards (1 that i smashed a resistor pack from, and 1 that wont post). Do you want them sent your way?

Associate
£122! This does not make sense from a collector or reseller view..
From a collector view, it's too much, reseller..if some of them work...there's money to be made. But 122£ it's a bit of a gamble.
I couldn't stay away and I bid 50£ on that lot of 16 motherboards, but someone overbid me. I feel relieved and upset at the same time :D

Associate
I got a bit lucky lately and I managed to get some good deals on FB marketplace and Ebay.
Got a socket 462 motherboard for 20£, but with an Athlon 1400 :). It wasn't even advertised in the add. Sometimes you gotta look at them pictures :D

From FB I got these 2 Windows upgrade copies for 20£ posted, still sealed and these 2 weird brand new keyboards for 30£ posted. Google said they might be sort of mechanical, but they are not. Still quite nice.

Soldato
From a collector view, it's too much, reseller..if some of them work...there's money to be made. But 122£ it's a bit of a gamble.
I couldn't stay away and I bid 50£ on that lot of 16 motherboards, but someone overbid me. I feel relieved and upset at the same time :D
I was interested from both a reseller and collector point in this. Id have probably tested and played around with the soundcards then sold them on.
IF the diamond and wavetable addon and Soundblaster CT2290 ISA cards were working you would have made the cost back. There were a couple other soundcards too.
Then again, my 2 bed flat guestroom would look like a junkyard and it would take effort packing and posting it all.
Again, im sad i missed out but also relieved I forgot about the auction :D

Soldato
I got a bit lucky lately and I managed to get some good deals on FB marketplace and Ebay.
Got a socket 462 motherboard for 20£, but with an Athlon 1400 :). It wasn't even advertised in the add. Sometimes you gotta look at them pictures :D

From FB I got these 2 Windows upgrade copies for 20£ posted, still sealed and these 2 weird brand new keyboards for 30£ posted. Google said they might be sort of mechanical, but they are not. Still quite nice.

As a collector of boxed OSes I very much approve of those! Very nice :)

Back
Top Bottom