• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Soldato
How you get those measurements to display? MSI afterburner doesn't give them all...you using something else?

You need HWinfo64, it runs through rivatuner that is installed with MSI afterburner, just hit settings in HWINFO and in OSD RTSS pick what you want to show.

Nice! Thanks, my delta between core and hotspot is 10 at idle and gets between 14 and 15 under load, I'm wondering if I didn't clamp the screws down tight enough on the X bracket, but I didn't want to strip the Hex head so I went easy on them.

I went until they stopped 3 turns a time doing each corner. I pressed the pads well down as well before attaching cooler. You need a lot of paste if using MX4, thick X shape and big blobs in each area.

Associate
You need HWinfo64, it runs through rivatuner that is installed with MSI afterburner, just hit settings in HWINFO and in OSD RTSS pick what you want to show.

I went until they stopped 3 turns a time doing each corner. I pressed the pads well down as well before attaching cooler. You need a lot of paste if using MX4, thick X shape and big blobs in each area.

Oh you pre-compressed the pads. That's what helps 2mm Gelid Extremes work better (on cards that can use them).
That still doesn't explain the people who were getting 100C hotspot / Black Screen 100% fan speed with 2mm Extremes on 3080 FE's though (the 3090 FE absolutely ****CAN NOT**** use 2mm pads on the core side VRAM (VRM's are great for 2mm, only with Gelid Extremes though!)--the die doesn't even touch the bloody heatsink if you have Thermalright Odyssey, Arctic (6 w/mk) or Gelid Ultimates on it!)

I know NONE Of you are going to want to do this, but can someone who gets GOOD (<12C Hotspot delta) temps with 2mm Gelid Extremes and BAD temps with 1.5mm (uncompressed!) Extremes,
please post the ENTIRE date code shown on the back side of the heatsink (requires PCB removal)? Only 3080 FE or Ti FE users.

This is all the information I can find so far.

3080 FE heatsink (2mm Gelid Extremes=100C hotspot/overheat: 1.5mm Extremes+2mm VRM=perfect):

T01 M03
110-0313-000.A (last two letters after the A seem to be scratched out or missing unless it's just "A" and nothing else.
10-05-2020 (USA Format, October 5, 2020 manufacture date).

3080 Ti FE heatsink (2mm Gelid Extremes=black screen+100% fan/overheat, 1.5mm extremes=perfect)
T01 M03
110-0346-000.AHF
05-06-2021 (May 6, 2021)

These two heatsinks appear to be 100% identical besides date/lot #.

Note I saw a 3080 Ti FE user with a heatsink of december 2020 also. I can't find the picture.
=================

Want to throw some petrol (remember I'm an American, we don't usually use that word, we just say "fuel") into the fire:

Here's a 3090 FE heatsink I saved:
T01 M03
110-0349.000.AHF
12-07-2020
--------------------

Why are the 3080 FE/3080 Ti FE and 3090 FE codes so similar when the 3090 FE heatsink is much larger?

-----------
*Edit*
with some difficulty, I found a user who used 2mm pads successfully.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/ojc10s/swapped_pads_to_3080_fe/
T01 M03
110-0313.000.A
09-04-2020 (september 4,2020)

------

Yeah this is bloody USELESS.
The two 3080 FE heatsinks are IDENTICAL

The one that got modded with 2mm extremes (no overheat). Stock pads:
https://i.imgur.com/bfBpLMv.jpeg
The fact that this is a straight down picture is completely unhelpful also.

The one that got modded with 1.5mm extremes (2mm=overheat). Stock pads:
https://i.imgur.com/nGnXkFT.jpg
(at least in this picture you can tell clearly that the stock VRM pads are thicker than the VRAM pads, which is why 1.5mm VRAM, 2mm VRM's worked nicely).

Besides the quality of the camera affecting how the pads look, I see no bloody difference!
Sorry guys but I give up here.

Last edited:
Soldato
I may redo mine at some point just to try TFX paste see if it makes any difference but will probably be well down the line , I feel once I take it apart I will redo the pads again just incase they dont make proper contact after already being compressed not looking to waste anymore money on pads right now

I did the card few weeks ago
just played 1 hour of red dead 2 did find this game did hammer the vram before and card room temp was 27c , undervolted 1905@893mV before the vram would easily go into the high 90s , hitting 98c , at stock settings I would hit 77c gpu temp delta was 11-12c, now doesnt go past 74c thats without undervolt

I used thermal grizzly kryonaut with cross with 4 dots I did use fair amount of it , but do want to try TFX paste just to see if any difference as I dont seem to have any issues right now but others report some paste pump out effect overtime ? this is where TFX helps will keep eye on the temps

I used 2mm gelid extreme for die side, 3mm extreme for back but only replaced pads where the stock pads were not underneath vram other then igor pad mod so only needed 1 pack , didnt see the point saturating the back the back plate is thin anyway to cope with all the extra heat I only see it making difference if have heatsinks attached to the backplate

54KNj9H.jpg

card at idle
4BEzEMQ.jpg

I took picture of the Vrm and Vram stock pads depth looks the same to me

1QXnBpD.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I may redo mine at some point just to try TFX paste see if it makes any difference but will probably be well down the line , I feel once I take it apart I will redo the pads again just incase they dont make proper contact after already being compressed not looking to waste anymore money on pads right now

I took picture of the Vrm and Vram stock pads depth looks the same to me

1QXnBpD.jpg

Now that's very interesting.
Those VRAM pads are definitely very close to 2mm (almost looks like 1.8mm on the left for both and 2mm on the right for both).

I know the 3090 FE VRAM pads are absolutely not even close to 2mm. I didn't take any pictures of the card when I took it apart for the first time last October or November of 20, but just from looking at the pads, the VRAM pads were obviously thinner than the VRM pads (and they were even thinner than that on the core side). That means this guy was correct in his measurements:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...90-owners-club.1753930/page-213#post-28666890

Here's the 3080 FE pads of the guy who overheated with 2mm extremes.

nGnXkFT.jpg

The right side VRAM pad definitely looks 1.5mm and definitely looks thinner than the VRM pad right next to it. Part of the VRM pad looks so bad it seems to turn into a 1mm pad at part of the top :) But you can see the clear imprint compression. Wonder how it even looks like that.

3090 FE pads look extremely similar. oVrb1EE.jpg

Your card looks definitely like the VRAM pads are thicker than either of these two cards.

Thoughts?

Associate
no all the stock pads on the die side look the same depth, thats just the camera angle making them look smaller

So you're not going to be happy with this. In fact I think NO ONE is going to be happy with this.

Another user just repadded his 3080 FE and took a digital caliper to the original pads and the VRAM pads measured out at 1.5mm. Yours are 2mm.
That means there are two different versions of the same heatsink out there, with no way to determine which is which, no matter if it's a 3080 FE or TI FE :(

Can you kindly measure the thickness of your saved thermal pads to verify for each VRAM and VRM?

This was a PM on reddit.
-----------------------------
re: 3080 FE

from kingartos sent 7 minutes ago

Hey I tried it, I ended up using 1.5mm on everything on the front side (GPU side). i measured the thickness of the old pads carefully and they were about 1.5mm, I am currently getting 90c on the memory temps under load. I think if there was a 1.8mm version of the pads that would be better. Anyways thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

Soldato
That's exactly what I've read else where, it's not quite 2mm but then it's not 1.5mm.

To me using 2mm extremes is still a decent shout too start with since they will compress with the heat sink, where if you went 1.5mm it ain't gonna grow.

Obviously, if there is variations in tolerances on the heat sink it's just going to be down to the individual to get it right. Using the info in this thread will certainly give a decent starting point.

Last edited:
Associate
As an electronics engineer, this business of applying big thick blob of paste on the GPU makes me cringe inside but what it's doing is giving you (obviously!) extra thickness between the GPU core and the heatsink. Hence a pad that's bit too thick may work OK since the GPU heatsink is "floating" on top of the paste.

It's been a while since I messed with pads, the last high power design I did had silkscreen outlines on the PCB and "generous" application of silicone goo (cheap kind) applied. That'd form a semi - decent contact between the steel bracket and the power electronics. Most of all; cheap!

Pads come in various thicknesses and materials, generally speaking the more squishy it is, the worse thermal conductivity you get. But it's more forgiving of tolerances. If you want to experiment and have access to Farnell / RS online / Mouser / Digi-key, there are different materials and thicknesses available. From your back and forth I'd imagine it's 1.778mm or 0.07" but don't take that to a bank. Since the pad has indent in the middle, the area around it is probably a bit puffy so it might be actually a bit more than out of a pack. Millimetre is also actually kind of short distance so telling the difference between 1.5 and 1.75mm isn't that easy, especially trying to measure depth of something squishy like a thermal pad after it's been compressed. It's easier to measure diameter by far, for depth a vernier is a bit of a blunt tool, even if you have the kind that has a thumbwheel for fine movement.

Last edited:
Soldato
business of applying big thick blob of paste on the GPU makes me cringe inside

Yea, it seems ridiculous that most people are saying to use soo much paste. You should just be using enough to cover the imperfections, metal on metal contact is ideal.

Is the heatsink really that bad that it doesn't contact?

When I ever get round to it I won't be doing the huge X with the blobs surrounding it 'technique' anyway.

Associate
Does anyone know who makes the "Zezzio" 14.8 w/mk thermal pads? They're a repackage of something from another supplier, probably one of those Shenzhen factories.

I had a guess that the 12.8 w/mk versions were just repackaged Thermalright pads, due to their hardness and packaging style, but on amazon, on their 14.8 w/mk pads, they said users wanted a softer pad, so they increased it by 2 w/mk and made it softer to compress easier.
I bought the Zezzio 14.3 w/mk thermal paste (which has literally copied specs exactly from Thermalright TFX), and determined it's the exact same paste (Carbon nano type) as SYY-157. It's literally 100% identical (so its decent), but it's NOT TFX at all (TFX has a very unique thickness and a certain property with its viscosity and layering that you can see and feel when you try to rub a small amount on your fingers). But no idea about their pads. I doubt it's the same as a Gelid rebrand....

Associate
Does anyone know who makes the "Zezzio" 14.8 w/mk thermal pads? They're a repackage of something from another supplier, probably one of those Shenzhen factories.

I had a guess that the 12.8 w/mk versions were just repackaged Thermalright pads, due to their hardness and packaging style, but on amazon, on their 14.8 w/mk pads, they said users wanted a softer pad, so they increased it by 2 w/mk and made it softer to compress easier.
I bought the Zezzio 14.3 w/mk thermal paste (which has literally copied specs exactly from Thermalright TFX), and determined it's the exact same paste (Carbon nano type) as SYY-157. It's literally 100% identical (so its decent), but it's NOT TFX at all (TFX has a very unique thickness and a certain property with its viscosity and layering that you can see and feel when you try to rub a small amount on your fingers). But no idea about their pads. I doubt it's the same as a Gelid rebrand....

The Zezzio packaging don't have any information about manufacturer.

For the pads I tried, the Odyssey is the hardest pad
, both Extreme and Zezzio have similar hardness, maybe the Zezzio pad is slightly softer but they are very close. The Ultimate pad is somewhere in middle between odyssey and extreme.

Last edited:
Associate
The Zezzio packaging don't have any information about manufacturer.

For the pads I tried, the Odyssey is the hardest pafd
, both Extreme and Zezzio have similar hardness, maybe the Zezzio pad is slightly softer but very close. The Ultimate pad is some where in middle between odyssey and extreme.

Thank you. That's helpful. Maybe I'll buy it and see how it is.
I wonder if it's the same pad as those 120mm * 120mm Gelid Extreme pads on aliexpress (which are a China only SKU. Gelid told us in email not to buy those pads because there were quality issues with them. The new Gelid Ultimate 120mm * 120mm pads from their own gelid store are safe, as well as the supplier for those on Amazon).

V F

V F

Soldato
As an electronics engineer, this business of applying big thick blob of paste on the GPU makes me cringe inside but what it's doing is giving you (obviously!) extra thickness between the GPU core and the heatsink. Hence a pad that's bit too thick may work OK since the GPU heatsink is "floating" on top of the paste.

It's been a while since I messed with pads, the last high power design I did had silkscreen outlines on the PCB and "generous" application of silicone goo (cheap kind) applied. That'd form a semi - decent contact between the steel bracket and the power electronics. Most of all; cheap!

Pads come in various thicknesses and materials, generally speaking the more squishy it is, the worse thermal conductivity you get. But it's more forgiving of tolerances. If you want to experiment and have access to Farnell / RS online / Mouser / Digi-key, there are different materials and thicknesses available. From your back and forth I'd imagine it's 1.778mm or 0.07" but don't take that to a bank. Since the pad has indent in the middle, the area around it is probably a bit puffy so it might be actually a bit more than out of a pack. Millimetre is also actually kind of short distance so telling the difference between 1.5 and 1.75mm isn't that easy, especially trying to measure depth of something squishy like a thermal pad after it's been compressed. It's easier to measure diameter by far, for depth a vernier is a bit of a blunt tool, even if you have the kind that has a thumbwheel for fine movement.

These thermal pads has truly terrified me now for graphics cards. Every other card I've had, has had thermal pads that are quite thin then dried up. Now pads are thick and breaking down with oil after 2 - 3 years of use drenching the PCB.

Soldato
just wondering what pads would be recommended for the backplate other then gelid extreme , was thinking gelid ultimate 1.5mm /2mm ? but not sure what size and the ulitmate are easier to remove if needed ?

Associate
just wondering what pads would be recommended for the backplate other then gelid extreme , was thinking gelid ultimate 1.5mm /2mm ? but not sure what size and the ulitmate are easier to remove if needed ?

Gelid ultimate, either 1.5 or 2mm is fine. Or you can try those 14.8 w/mk zezzio 120mm * 120mm pads.....

Soldato
Gelid ultimate, either 1.5 or 2mm is fine. Or you can try those 14.8 w/mk zezzio 120mm * 120mm pads.....

thanks , the ultimate seem easier to get and pricing seems fine I was thinking redoing my card and this time using TFX paste I havent had issues till now but looking long term and extreme gelid are pain to remove and clean from the back PCB gonne be long day

Also I wanna do the Igor mod and just replace the back pads same size and location as stock pads not bothered about putting behind vram

use 2mm gelid ultimate
aGeRk8C.jpg

and use 1.5mm gelid ultimate as these will be slightly lifted with vrm/chips whatever they are or am I just over thinking either 1.5mm or 2mm will be fine all over ?
NcPm3bK.jpg

Associate
thanks , the ultimate seem easier to get and pricing seems fine I was thinking redoing my card and this time using TFX paste I havent had issues till now but looking long term and extreme gelid are pain to remove and clean from the back PCB gonne be long day

Also I wanna do the Igor mod and just replace the back pads same size and location as stock pads not bothered about putting behind vram

use 2mm gelid ultimate
aGeRk8C.jpg

and use 1.5mm gelid ultimate as these will be slightly lifted with vrm/chips whatever they are or am I just over thinking either 1.5mm or 2mm will be fine all over ?
NcPm3bK.jpg

oh thats a 3080? i thought you were doing a 3090. 1.5mm is too thin for a 3080 backplate side.

Soldato
oh thats a 3080? i thought you were doing a 3090. 1.5mm is too thin for a 3080 backplate side.

yeah I know 3mm gelid extreme is recommended but wanted to stay away from them as they are pain to remove and clean pcb if need removing so thinking ulitmate 2mm would be good enough ?

Associate
yeah I know 3mm gelid extreme is recommended but wanted to stay away from them as they are pain to remove and clean pcb if need removing so thinking ulitmate 2mm would be good enough ?

There are 3mm Ultimates out also. 90mm * 50mm "2 pack" as well as a 120mm * 120mm one. Prepare to donate a kidney to pay for it.
You can get them on Amazon or on Gelidstore, which is Gelid's own store in Hong Kong. (Disclaimer: these are NOT competitors since ocuk doesn't even sell these pads).

Or you can take your chances with these:
(go to amazon and search for Zezzio New 14.8 W/mK Silicone Thermal Pad for Heatsink GPU CPU RAM SSD LED Cooler IC Chipset Cooling(120x120x3mm)

Back
Top Bottom