*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Seems most people want the old W10 one? Personally I dont care as I never click it, just used the keyboard win key. :)

I think most people want it that if they are going to centre the apps, then they want the start menu button centre centre.

If given the choice, I imagine it's a toss up between the way it's always been done (bottom left) or centre centre.

Associate
yeah same version as my other machine which is pretty stable, but this 22463.1000 is getting buggy again now I'm seeing double show hidden icon arrows and slow down now on heavy testing. Just waiting for a new drive to arrive then I am stepping back to the beta.

Soldato
Got to admit. Secure boot immediately sounds like a total PITA. What happens when you change hardware (GPU etc) ?

I just did the Microsoft test and my pc with a Ryzen 1600 which is still a very capable processor is not compatible :D

My daughter is in the same boat with the 1600. I'll probably have to give my daughter my 3600, and be forced to get a better chip myself ;) (Assuming the B350 board is OK with win11)

Soldato
Secure boot immediately sounds like a total PITA. What happens when you change hardware (GPU etc) ?

Not sure I understand the concern, secure boot is to do with software signatures to prevent booting on potentially malicious unsigned code.

edit, see below for further info:

Secure boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that a device boots using only software that is trusted by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). When the PC starts, the firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including UEFI firmware drivers (also known as Option ROMs), EFI applications, and the operating system. If the signatures are valid, the PC boots, and the firmware gives control to the operating system.

Secure boot | Microsoft Docs

or more simple terms:

In a nutshell, whenever your PC boots up, Secure Boot checks that the OS comes from a trusted source. It does this by verifying the digital signature against a predetermined whitelist, which prevents unwanted "bootware" from gaining access to, or control of your PC. That way, in the event that malware does make it onto the PC, it can't take advantage of an otherwise vulnerable UEFI, which ultimately reduces the risk of your sensitive data being acquired.

TPM 2.0 & Secure Boot: an easy step-by-step guide - ******** Blog

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently the Windows 11 setup warns you that you aren't entitled to updates and doesn't recommend installing it if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I doubt I'll be "upgrading" any time soon unless they drop the requirements for TPM, UEFI and secure boot. Seems like a very silly decision to try and make perfectly capable systems obsolete, on par with the decision to remove the start menu from Windows 8.

V F

V F

Soldato
Apparently the Windows 11 setup warns you that you aren't entitled to updates and doesn't recommend installing it if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I doubt I'll be "upgrading" any time soon unless they drop the requirements for TPM, UEFI and secure boot. Seems like a very silly decision to try and make perfectly capable systems obsolete, on par with the decision to remove the start menu from Windows 8.

https://www.neowin.net/news/if-you-...rted-pc-you-will-have-to-sign-a-waiver-first/

"It has been reported that this unsupported state may even mean that such PCs won't also receive critical security updates."

Soldato
Do I recall correctly that Windows 11 improves multi-monitor setups? Anyone tried it in anger?

And does compatibility mode still exist? I have a driver app that needs to be run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.

Man of Honour

Makes sense if ultimately you want to gradually make consumers used to having a locked down eco-system where a 3rd party rather than the end user has control.

Associate
Makes sense if ultimately you want to gradually make consumers used to having a locked down eco-system where a 3rd party rather than the end user has control.
I guess they know the requirements are going to be an unpopular decision but they are pushing them hard as a long term strategy. My system technically supports it but there's no way I'm enabling TPM (article), and there's an application I use that doesn't support UEFI or secure boot.

Man of Honour
I guess they know the requirements are going to be an unpopular decision but they are pushing them hard as a long term strategy. My system technically supports it but there's no way I'm enabling TPM (article), and there's an application I use that doesn't support UEFI or secure boot.

TPM is actively hostile to the end user, has long term rights and privacy implications but people seem happy to sleep walk into it :(

Soldato
Well, this is a new:

Capture.png

https://i.ibb.co/bbDtKHh/Capture.png

I am on the Windows Insider Release Preview Channel. Friday evening fun sorted...

Back
Top Bottom