What vitamins do you take and why?

Soldato
I take a multivitamin, D3 with Calcium, Multi B complex and I get an injection of B12 if my levels are low on blood test. I also use ORS tablets and drink a lot of water. Reason is because I have had my large intestine removed which makes it difficult to absorb some vitamins especially B12 and dehydration is a problem too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I forgot to mention, I also take Kwai heart care tablets. They’re good for the old ticker and cholesterol. Amazon sell 3 months worth for a tenner.
You'd be better taking a multivitamin. Garlic disproved to significantly help heart disease and cholesterol.

Soldato
You'd be better taking a multivitamin. Garlic disproved to significantly help heart disease and cholesterol.
Just done a little research into this and it it looks like the aged garlic I've been taking for years isn't doing me any good, especially given the fact I'm on blood thinners and other drugs for arterial fibrillation. It does seem though that a lot of advice on supplements etc changes from year to year. :confused:

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
What's everyone's recommendation on fishy oils and vitamin D? Is it like magnesium where there are crap versions?

Anyone taking Vitamin D3 remember you should take Vitamin K2 also.

K2 ensures that calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass etc, avoiding calcium build up in the arteries.

Also Vitamin D3 can't be metabolized without sufficient magnesium levels, so adding a magnesium supplement is advisable if you are deficient.

This. Vitamin K2 mk7 is very important alongside vitamin D3 for proper absorption and to prevent damage to arteries and organs.

As for omega 3, I love Aavalabs omega-3 capsules. They're a Finnish company, wild caught and sustainably fished, heavy metal tested and GMP standard. Very high quality refined oils:

Daily dose: 2 capsules
Contents:
Fish oil 2,000mg
Omega 3 fatty acids - 1,600mg
of which EPA - 1,000mg
of which DHA - 600mg
Vitamin E - 10mg
The perfect cardiologist-recommended therapeutic and preventative dose in two small caps. You can take one and still have a higher rate of supplementation than pretty much anything else out there. They're about £15 on Amazon for 120 caps (2 months supply at 2x daily). Peanuts really. @TonyLewis they're less than a third the price of the ones you linked, with much higher EPA and DHA, and meeting the same independent tests of purity and quality.

I take those, Vitamin D3+K2 (medically prescribed for life due to repeated osteomalacia with severe bone pain that morphine doesn't touch - 10/10 would not recommend), and a quality bio-available multivitamin and mineral because I have a restricted diet, am housebound a lot and have a lot of medical conditions. Fun, fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
These are rubbish I was told. Cheap quality, bad ingredients, throw them away when I bought the same ones. :(

Replace with Doctors Best or Pure Encapsulations so I did. I'll be honest, I noticed no difference but there you go.

Too add the EPA/DHA ones make for the WORST burps in the world. Like burping Brixham fish market.
Thanks - will avoid the ones I linked and go for the ones you suggested. I've ordered the very posh Nordic Natural Omega 3's so will see how I get on. At £50 a pop they better increase my IQ significantly. Keep a check on my posting quality and let me know in 2-3 months please.

This. Vitamin K2 mk7 is very important alongside vitamin D3 for proper absorption and to prevent damage to arteries and organs.

As for omega 3, I love Aavalabs omega-3 capsules. They're a Finnish company, wild caught and sustainably fished, heavy metal tested and GMP standard. Very high quality refined oils:

I take those, Vitamin D3+K2 (medically prescribed for life due to repeated osteomalacia with severe bone pain that morphine doesn't touch - 10/10 would not recommend), and a quality bio-available multivitamin and mineral because I have a restricted diet, am housebound a lot and have a lot of medical conditions. Fun, fun.
Will go for these next to "compare".

Soldato
Just done a little research into this and it it looks like the aged garlic I've been taking for years isn't doing me any good, especially given the fact I'm on blood thinners and other drugs for arterial fibrillation. It does seem though that a lot of advice on supplements etc changes from year to year. :confused:

Yes I'd be careful, messes with platelets IIRC

Associate

Daily dose: 2 capsules
Contents:
Fish oil 2,000mg
Omega 3 fatty acids - 1,600mg
of which EPA - 1,000mg
of which DHA - 600mg
Vitamin E - 10mg
The perfect cardiologist-recommended therapeutic and preventative dose in two small caps. You can take one and still have a higher rate of supplementation than pretty much anything else out there. They're about £15 on Amazon for 120 caps (2 months supply at 2x daily). Peanuts really. @TonyLewis they're less than a third the price of the ones you linked, with much higher EPA and DHA, and meeting the same independent tests of purity and quality.

Aavalabs look like one of those made to sell on Amazon brands.

It says "Fish Oil" on the ingredients label and nothing else.

Nordic Naturals says on the label that it is fish oil purified from deep sea Sardines and Anchovies and in a triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish).

Given the cost I bet the Aavalabs capsules are imported in bulk from China and repacked in Finland, an old trick... But I may be wrong.

Ask them for a CofA for your batch and see what they send, I will do the same for my ones.

Soldato
Aavalabs look like one of those made to sell on Amazon brands.

It says "Fish Oil" on the ingredients label and nothing else.

Nordic Naturals says on the label that it is fish oil purified from deep sea Sardines and Anchovies and in a triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish).

Given the cost I bet the Aavalabs capsules are imported in bulk from China and repacked in Finland, an old trick... But I may be wrong.

Ask them for a CofA for your batch and see what they send, I will do the same for my ones.

On the Amazon page:

Hello!
Thank you so much for the question.
Our Omega 3 doesn't contain cod liver oil, the fish oil is made from Anchovies and Sardines, which are wild caught in the Pacific. The method is 100% sustainable and FOS-Certified.
Let me know if I can help you out in any way - and we'll take good care of you!

Regards,

Carla
Aava Labs
Finland

The product is FOS-Certified. Meaning the raw material comes from a sustainable and safe source.
- Our product us 100% sourced, purified, and manufactured in the UK.
- Pharmaceutical-grade - Tested and certified by 3rd party labs to ensure purity and potency.
- Our product is Guaranteed to be free of harmful Mercury, Dioxins, PCBs, and toxins.
- Made in a SGS inspected facility, which has GMP, HACCP and IFS food certifications. So you can be 100% sure that the product you're eating is safe.

...and from the website:

Where do the raw materials come from?
From the Pacific Ocean. More precisely, from the Peruvian coast. Our Omega-3 is made from anchovies. Thus we guarantee a sustainable product. Anchovies exist in masses and they are not threatened with extinction and do not have to be obtained from cultivars.

Is it heavy metal tested?
Yes, it is. Contact us at [email protected] if you want to receive the certificate.

I'll email them and ask. :)

Info on the company HERE.

AAVALABS was founded in Helsinki, Finland in 2011 by Otso Kääriäinen - a health and fitness enthusiast with a vision to create pure, effective supplements that complement a busy lifestyle.

We are proud to say that AAVALABS has grown from a small family business with kitchen table formulas, to an international team that spans more than 10 countries.

Emphasis their own. They seemed legit when I looked them up, back when I first started buying from them.

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
These are rubbish I was told. Cheap quality, bad ingredients, throw them away when I bought the same ones. :(

Replace with Doctors Best or Pure Encapsulations so I did. I'll be honest, I noticed no difference but there you go.

RlOAOpa.jpg

Too add the EPA/DHA ones make for the WORST burps in the world. Like burping Brixham fish market.

Good choices, next time you buy fish oil try Nordic Naturals, you do not get the fishy burps with them.

Back
Top Bottom