*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I really don't understand the problem.

I remember reading a long time ago how invasive TPM was, and if you read the article's, it basically just MS trying to push their tech again to uniquely identify you etc. It is NOT a security feature, it's just masquerading as one IMO.

But I'll probably end up caving eventually anyway.

I remember reading a long time ago how invasive TPM was, and if you read the article's, it basically just MS trying to push their tech again to uniquely identify you etc. It is NOT a security feature, it's just masquerading as one IMO.

Can't they any way? I mean, I login in with my email and password, I give them all my details for my account. They know my ip, literally everything I do on my pc surely. I can't see what extra information they get

Associate
Can't they any way? I mean, I login in with my email and password, I give them all my details for my account. They know my ip, literally everything I do on my pc surely. I can't see what extra information they get
You know I fall into that category of wanting to keep my identity to myself but In the end I just gave in and said **** it just give it away anyway. What option do I have Linux pfff don't make me laff etc blah blah I give up!

You know I fall into that category of wanting to keep my identity to myself but In the end I just gave in and said **** it just give it away anyway. What option do I have Linux pfff don't make me laff etc blah blah I give up!
I understand the desire, but I just don't see what can be done. Don't want the information forced from us, but every gives it all away freely.

Man of Honour

There is a lot more to it than that - amongst other things it sets the ground work for the implementation of a system where only signed applications can communicate over the internet with a central authority who decides what an application has to adhere to for it to be signed - which currently isn't possible because there is no way to verify the code running on the end user's system. If someone thinks oh I'll just swap to Linux - OSes without the requirements will simply be unable to do anything online or extremely limited forcing them to get onboard as well.

Sadly most people will just roll over because they lack the understanding or vision to see the implications.

Pretty much every security feature touted in 10 can be done just as well if not better without requiring TPM in terms of protecting the end user, it may slightly make things easier in terms of a more standardised approach but isn't worth the trade off vs what TPM functionality as a standard can facilitate against the end user's best interests.

Soldato
Apparently the Windows 11 setup warns you that you aren't entitled to updates and doesn't recommend installing it if you don't meet the minimum requirements. I doubt I'll be "upgrading" any time soon unless they drop the requirements for TPM, UEFI and secure boot. Seems like a very silly decision to try and make perfectly capable systems obsolete, on par with the decision to remove the start menu from Windows 8.

I won't be turning on my TPM for MS.
MS has gone to far now.

Caporegime
Well I'm very happy with Windows 11 so far on my main PC, as it has fixed my windows shifting their position on my displayport screen after sleep.

I'm now going to install it on my HTPC to see if it fixes the weird HDMI handshaking glitches I get with my soundbar. Basically windows keeps changing itself from 7.1 to stereo after it sleeps or the amp switches off.

Man of Honour
I won't be turning on my TPM for MS.
MS has gone to far now.

On the plus side looks like TPM security isn't standing up too well to attacks - which makes a bit of a mockery of going so hard on adopting it though I guess they'll just require increasingly newer versions which are more robust/not yet exploited.

Soldato
On the plus side looks like TPM security isn't standing up too well to attacks - which makes a bit of a mockery of going so hard on adopting it though I guess they'll just require increasingly newer versions which are more robust/not yet exploited.

I only use windows for games.
So I'm hoping more linux games come out on steam..

I think windows for gamers is becoming like some console software.

Soldato
Finally made my PC compatible with W11 :) had to enable secure boot and also convert MBR to GPT drive to switch BIOS to UEFI, was a bit scared that my Windows 10 would not boot but all worked great.
I am so ready for W11, was thinking of waiting a bit before installing but will probably install in now as soon as update will be available.

Back
Top Bottom