Mountain Biking

Associate
Thinking about pimpin my Vitus out with some propa bling, i.e. little accessories with some colour as it's basically all black and grey

IkRTuTe.jpg

Thinking what colour to go with, leaning towards blue as there's more available than the orange i actually want... Thoughts?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Thinking about pimpin my Vitus out with some propa bling, i.e. little accessories with some colour as it's basically all black and grey

Thinking what colour to go with, leaning towards blue as there's more available than the orange i actually want... Thoughts?

Don't do it! That way madness lies. Seen a lot of people put thousands into their bikes making them drip with hope parts in a given colour and they pretty much always look tacky and if you ever sell the bike you won't get anything like what you paid for it.

Grips and pedals? Go for it. Everything else, nah.

Soldato
Just bought a new rotor and mount for the bike to give it a go. A Galfer 223mm with 43mm mount adapter. Ordered off ebay for £50 yesterday and arrived today. Very nice looking bit of kit, but it's hilariously huge........

Associate
Don't do it! That way madness lies. Seen a lot of people put thousands into their bikes making them drip with hope parts in a given colour and they pretty much always look tacky and if you ever sell the bike you won't get anything like what you paid for it.

It's just so boring looking! Was thinking probably only grips, seat clamp (because it's currently QR) and rotors cos the rotors i can take to next bike (and yeah, hope)

I already bought pedals annoyingly and went for black.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's just so boring looking! Was thinking probably only grips, seat clamp (because it's currently QR) and rotors cos the rotors i can take to next bike (and yeah, hope)

Personally I like a more stealth looking bike or if its going to have colour then I like the frame to be the colour.

Hope make some nice stuff but in so many cases it doesn't really improve the functionality of the bike and costs a small fortune. Grips and seat clamp are simple and cheap enough. Rotors are where I would probably give it a miss unless I needed new rotors.

Soldato

Obvious places to add colour bling are hubs, seat clamp, grips, pedals, rotors, top cap etc. Don't go crazy though or add too many colours though as it can easily be over don't imo. Most colours should look decent on your bike, blue, orange, purple etc. All down to your preference really.

My dh bike is black and silver with orange accents but my trail bike has managed to stay stealthy bar the carbon renthal bars :cool:

Associate
Obvious places to add colour bling are hubs, seat clamp, grips, pedals, rotors, top cap etc. Don't go crazy though or add too many colours though as it can easily be over don't imo. Most colours should look decent on your bike, blue, orange, purple etc. All down to your preference really.

My dh bike is black and silver with orange accents but my trail bike has managed to stay stealthy bar the carbon renthal bars :cool:

Orange would be my preference, but yeah probably wouldn't get too crazy with it to be honest.

Soldato
I take the approach of the more colours the better. For two reasons it often saves money I buy the cheapest colour each time and I like it, 2 it winds some other people up for some reason.

Associate
Yeah that's fair, it's all personal innit.
I don't like overly blingy to be honest, but I do like a bit of colour and probably should have chosen a different colour frame but when only one is available that's kinda difficult and i cba to get it powdercoated!

Soldato
Hi I’m looking to get a bike, first one in over 20 years so I have no clue what to get.

Saw a Marin one that I liked the look of in the gallery thread. And after looking on their website the Bobcat and Bolina range are in my price range £500 - £1000. So are they any good? Will I need to upgrade parts after a few months?

Associate
Hi I’m looking to get a bike, first one in over 20 years so I have no clue what to get.

Saw a Marin one that I liked the look of in the gallery thread. And after looking on their website the Bobcat and Bolina range are in my price range £500 - £1000. So are they any good? Will I need to upgrade parts after a few months?

Marin are a decent manufacturer and have been going for years, realistically you should look into what bikes are offered from all the main guys e.g., Marin, Trek, Orange, Specialized, etc and compare the specs. Also, what are you going to use it for, no point in buying a more trail oriented bike if you're just going to be doing gravel stuff on it. Also look up reviews of bikes in those price ranges from the likes of Pinkbike, MBR, MBUK etc and see what they recommend.

I ended up with a Vitus because for the money you aren't going to get a new bike with better components due to who owns the brand (CRC/Wiggle) and they cut out the middle men, also not a big known brand so likely smaller overheads.

Soldato
Marin are a decent manufacturer and have been going for years, realistically you should look into what bikes are offered from all the main guys e.g., Marin, Trek, Orange, Specialized, etc and compare the specs. Also, what are you going to use it for, no point in buying a more trail oriented bike if you're just going to be doing gravel stuff on it. Also look up reviews of bikes in those price ranges from the likes of Pinkbike, MBR, MBUK etc and see what they recommend.

I ended up with a Vitus because for the money you aren't going to get a new bike with better components due to who owns the brand (CRC/Wiggle) and they cut out the middle men, also not a big known brand so likely smaller overheads.

Thanks, lots of brands there to take a look at. I won’t be doing anything spectacular with it, just need something to get out and about on. I like the look of the full suspension bikes, but quickly realised how expensive those things get.
A local shop to me has a few Marins in stock so might take a look there over the weekend. I’ll also look at the vitus as that name also rings as bell from the gallery thread.

Caporegime

Yep, spend the money on coaching/bike parks IMO.

Soldato

If @mrk bike is anything to go by then you'll need to replace absolutely everything :D

Man of Honour
If @mrk bike is anything to go by then you'll need to replace absolutely everything :D

Depends on usage surely :p

My goal was always to end up with a custom bike as knew my budget would pad out over time. For that purpose this has worked out superbly. Have a totally unique bike and it's lightweight and fun!

I now have matching green grips hat go with the pedals (TAG Metals T1 Braaap) :D

Soldato
Vitus make cracking bikes at really good prices.

Yep I looked at them earlier, they look good too. Its probably between a Bobcat trail, a Bolinas ridge or a Vitus at the moment.

Depends on usage surely :p

My goal was always to end up with a custom bike as knew my budget would pad out over time. For that purpose this has worked out superbly. Have a totally unique bike and it's lightweight and fun!

I now have matching green grips hat go with the pedals (TAG Metals T1 Braaap) :D

Was hoping you would post! I'm kinda in the same position... not much budget to buy but would be happy to upgrade bits in the future.

Back
Top Bottom