petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
The fuel stations need to start having more dynamic pricing. If demand surges beyond supply, they should jack up the price. If people want to panic buy and stockpile fuel, the let them pay £2 a litre for it.

Unfortunately those who need to buy for genuine reasons will get caught up in this, which isnt your intention.

Uber, for example, have been criticised a lot for their surge pricing, as it can really hurt those who cant afford it. The numbers can go pretty crazy too.

Soldato
Unfortunately those who need to buy for genuine reasons will get caught up in, which isnt your intention.

Uber, for example, have been criticised a lot for their surge pricing, as it can really hurt those who cant afford it.

It would probably also just cause more anger and aggression as people fought to buy their share first, before the demand price increased further, rather than waiting in a queue.

The sort of people panic buying now would rather try to beat the increase than think 'I don't need petrol until next week, i'll just leave it'.

Soldato
The fuel stations need to start having more dynamic pricing. If demand surges beyond supply, they should jack up the price. If people want to panic buy and stockpile fuel, the let them pay £2 a litre for it.

My local shell did put the price up by 5p a liter today and now hes out of fuel. He probably mega rich now

Soldato
I am 100% agreed with @rpmmatt. The reason I voted brexit was to improve employment for youngsters in the UK and make companies train local workforce and improve pay and conditions. They should not just import labour so easily.

Soldato
Unfortunately those who need to buy for genuine reasons will get caught up in this, which isnt your intention.
It is. If you NEED the fuel, you'll pay for it. You might even just get half a tank at this price.

It was the same with toilet roll, and hand sanitiser. There were even people buying it, then trying to resell it at a massively inflated price.

Lets face it, GPUs were the same. People got in quick, bought them up cheap and then massively inflated the prices reselling. It's taken quite a while for retailers to move their prices to a point where scalping is virtually pointless.

Soldato
Filled up this morning at a Shell garage (needed to anyway)- was quite busy, but not daft. Didn't see any pumps closed.

Drove past the Shell on the opposite side of the carriageway earlier this afternoon and again, it looked slightly more busy than normal, but nothing crazy. No closed pumps/notices/etc. They are some of the most expensive stations around here though.

Soldato
The whole driver shortage is also a massive red herring. There are something like 300,000 more HGV license holders than there are vacancies. The question is not where the workers have gone, but why they don't want to drive.

I'm sure Scania agrees pay is one aspect, but who here would want to work any random 5 days from 7 as most jobs offer right now. No weekend premium, no bank holiday premium, no bonus for unsocial hours. No decent facilities on the road. Very little genuinely safe and secure parking. Banned outright from parking in Kent outside of expensive and undersized truck parks. 15 hour shifts 3 days a week, with as little as 9 hours off, then another 3x13 hour shifts. Up to 21 hours duty time if double manning, again with 9 hours off. Locked in tiny stuffy waiting rooms sitting on a plastic chair for 3 hours while your unloaded because your banned from sitting in your cab. Banned form the using the toilets at many site you deliver to. Turned away if your early, rejected if your late, oh, and banned from parking on the very industrial estates your delivering to. Tachographs, driving facing cameras, Microlise monitoring. Some pointy shoe wearing office clerk telling you how you should be driving when they've never been in a truck. We are hated if we drive during the day, we are hated if we deliver at night.

I certainly wouldn't choose this industry if I was starting out my working life now.

Neither would I. I'm a 7.5 tonner driver & I think its bad for me too, what with cameras in the cab & outside the vehicle too, my life revolves round a digital tachograph machine with a constant reminder about drivers hours. Some people are far too aggressive when they drive & have Zero patience. I do consider myself fortunate that my job is Monday to Friday which is rare in my line of work. The pay isnt great, I could earn a little bit more as a bus driver or I could take my class 2 test & earn a fair bit more money, but then my weekends would be gone & I value them more than any pay rise. I'm 55 & dont want the extra hassle of driving a larger vehicle either.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head, I’ve been driving HGV’s since 1996 yet get paid the same rate as someone passing their test tomorrow…

62.5 hours after a further 3:45 deducted for my breaks, note my overtime rate is exactly the same as my day rate, I start most days @ 4am which means I’m up at 3am…

What part of the above is an attractive proposition to anyone wanting to enter the industry?

You shouldn't be driving more than 60 hours a week even with the relaxation rules in place. You should know this under CPC & the DVSA will remind you of this too if they stop you.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is. If you NEED the fuel, you'll pay for it. You might even just get half a tank at this price.

It was the same with toilet roll, and hand sanitiser. There were even people buying it, then trying to resell it at a massively inflated price.

Lets face it, GPUs were the same. People got in quick, bought them up cheap and then massively inflated the prices reselling. It's taken quite a while for retailers to move their prices to a point where scalping is virtually pointless.

I'm really not sure you can equate a GPU with fuel. For many fuel is not a luxury - needed for some for livelihoods and many other essential tasks.

If surge pricing (a la Uber) were implemented now, a tank of fuel could easily cost hundred pounds. I think it's quite obvious that that isnt a workable solution.

Associate
You shouldn't be driving more than 60 hours a week even with the relaxation rules in place. You should know this under CPC & the DVSA will remind you of this too if they stop you.

The 60 hour rule is for working time not driving time. It's possible to legally work 90 hours in one week provided you have taken sufficient rest or used POA.

Another reason people don't want the job, the insane hours we can be expected to work.

Associate
The good thing is that people aren't allowed to use jerry cans. there's only so much fuel tank capacity in the country and it's not like people are going to use more than normal, so it surely will go back to normal in a matter of days even if people still are panicking over it?

Soldato
Did a 550 mile round trip on Wednesday, hadn't thought to fuel up (good old huge E61 fuel tank!) and then realised I needed to today... amongst every Tom Dick and Harry following the 'trend' and panic buying.
Nearest 3 stations all either queued around the block or out of fuel, but thankfully a 4th (small countryside station, where people seem to be more intelligent) was pretty quiet and had plenty of motion lotion.

Absolutely insane, but I've come to expect nothing more from the troglodytes that walk this Earth after the last 18 months.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The good thing is that people aren't allowed to use jerry cans. there's only so much fuel tank capacity in the country and it's not like people are going to use more than normal, so it surely will go back to normal in a matter of days even if people still are panicking over it?
My thoughts on this echo yours. I only have about 100mi left in my main car which I’ll need to use for commuting next week. Hoping that all of the morons will have filled up by then leaving the coast clear on Monday morning.

If not, hey ho I won’t visit the office all week and blame no fuel :p

Man of Honour
I always considered the pay that HGV drivers get was low but I didn't think it was as low as what Scania earns per hour. That is the main problem right there. My wife sits on her butt all day packing shortbread in a nice warm factory and gets £9.56 a hour with none of the stress a HGV driver has.

On a side note, I saw a report on the news earlier and they were at a petrol station next to the pumps. There was the usual black filler for diesel, two green ones for 95 and 98 ron presumeably but there was also a yellow filler and a orange filler. What on earth would those ones be for, bio-fuel maybe? They were all at the same pump lined up next to each other like the petrol and diesel fillers are.

Soldato
Put it up to £5, that would sort people out, hopefully...

Soldato
From what it looked like passing a local garage. It was just stuffed with school run mums in SUVs.

Maybe late at night in one out of town it will be quiet. Most morons live in towns and come out in the day, mostly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom