3700x + Liquid Freezer II 360mm High temps?

Associate
Hi guys,

So just the other day received a Liquid Freezer II 360 rev 4 in the hopes of squuezing a bit more juice out of my 3700x before upgrading to the upgraded 5000 series next year.

However, my temps are a lot higher than originally expected, being 50-55c idle and 80-85c running Cinebench R20. Also running Prime95 increases the temps to as high as 95c.

My case is a H500M with the two 200mm intake fans running at 100%, so airflow isn't an issue. I do have a 3080ti that runs hot, but that doesn't explain the benchmark temps as at idle the card sits at 30c.

Were my expectations of ~35c idles and 60-70c load temps misinformed? This is with PBO enabled, however at stock there isn't much difference either just slightly cooler. It's been a while since I installed a cooler, but the paste was spread evenly with a card and the pump was secured hand tight, and then tightened more with a driver after seeing the highs. Last night I decided to start over again and went with a smaller amount of paste (pea size) and use the 3000/5000 series offset Arctic provide on the bracket, this increased the temps by a couple of degrees.

If this is within the specs for the cooler/cpu then I can stop worrying, as gaming temps are ~70c, my worry is that the cpu is downclocking due to the temps and there is more potential in it.

Temps running at 60% fan and pump speed

https://ibb.co/K9mSHkL - R20 temps and clocks
https://ibb.co/LQn2bRv - Idle temps

Soldato
Something not right there
i have the same cpu and a rev2 and my temps are about 36oC idle and no higher than 78 oC gaming/long session
this is with CTR tweaked settings though usually sat at 4275 all cores and 1,255 volts
What have you set the fan curve to?as fan curve in Bios will also adjust the pump speed(one cable on this rad/fan combo means pump and 3 fans on 1 cable and only a single means of adjustment )

Associate
OP
Hi @ANDARIAL thanks for the reply, so I havn't set a curve, I usually run AIOs at a constant, the above benchmarks being at 60% for pump and fan speed (havn't seperated the cables and kept them daisy chained)

The issue is, running at 100% doesn't net me any better results, the temps may be around 5c lower at best, so rather than 55c idle I get 50c and under load even less of a difference as I assume it is just giving a bit more headroom for the boost so maybe higher clocks but that's it.

Soldato
How have you mounted the rad?
Can you hear any sloshing when the rad is shaken?
You have not left the plastic on the bottom of the pump?easily done in a rush :D
Just ran a stress test allcores at 4200,1.35 v and temps are at 75 oC after 5 mins

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@ANDARIAL So I was worried about air being trapped in the pump so when I remounted I did try positioning it so I could possibly get anything out, I did notice some sloshing yeah.
When I first mounted it and ran it, I was hearing a dripping noise every now and then which I though was unusual, not something I'd heard before, not heard it since though.
Orientation is top mounted BTW here's a pic https://ibb.co/0mJcX8b

Associate
OP
Well I don't really have a point of reference, the last AIO I installed was the first Corsair iteration back in 2011 on my first build the H100, so I couldn't tell you if it's bad, I don't hear it everytime I move it but if I shake it it's audible.

So the cooler I had before was the stock Wraith Prism, the temps were the same but I am getting better clocks now, before I would get 4.1-4.2ghz in game, now I'm getting 4.25-4.35ghz so there's an improvement there. Just thought I'd have a lot more thermal headroom than this, I actually thought the 360 was overkill for the 3700x

Associate
OP
Do you think air bubbles would cause the constant high temps im seeing? I was also leaning towards it being a possible faulty pump but I didn't want to RMA it before I was sure it wasn't down to user error

Associate
OP
@ANDARIAL Forgot to say mate paste is the supplied MX-4. @freddie64 when I reapplied the spread looked good, there might be just about enough left in the 1g tube they supply to do another remount so when I get the chance I'll give it another go and take a pic.

I was also able to bring my idle temps down to 35-40c https://ibb.co/bJfQ3B0 by enabling CPPC and Global C States in the BIOS. This just seems to do a better job at parking cores when not needed. This is not a testament to the cooler though you can see the CPU power consumption is now non existant. I also tried turning off PBO again to see what impact it had, it didn't. Same temps in game just lower clocks, also the same temps I was getting with the Wraith Prism I just chesked an old screenshot.

Soldato
If you are confident about the spread then leave it, was just curious if the offet bracket was catching on something and the cooler head was not seated properly.

Associate
OP
@freddie64 I have a sneaking suspicion it may be the offset bracket though, it is directly above a row of capacitors and I'm sure it's making contact with atleast two of them, it's possible it's raised the bracket on one side so you could be right. I think that will be the last thing I look at before RMA'ing the unit as everywhere I look the temps I'm getting seem way off.

Soldato
I insatlled the same cooler about 2 weeks ago and idle is 32-45C and cinebench temp hits 72C, games hit 55-60C. This is with a 3900X at stock clocks with a small under volt(-0.0750v). I run the fans/pump at ~80%(1500rpm) up to about 60C then it goes up to 100% at 70C.

Associate
OP
Thanks @FredFlint good to have another comparison. If I'm not mistaken though the 3900x does run hotter, and the fact you have it undervolted and running on stock, doesn't fill me with confidence. Think this might be an RMA jobby.

Soldato
Have you reinstalled yet?and what was the tim spread/contact like?
Long shot but if you have another system try installing the AIO on that?
Might be easier/accurate to RMA,that `should` eliminate a faulty AIO from the equation

Back
Top Bottom