The anime thread sequel (it's still not as good as the Manga though),

Soldato
dipped back into lighthearted with Seitokai Yakuindomo

I heard it's good but I think you have to gel with the humour/comedy to like it.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

I hear this one mentioned a lot, but it just looks... weird, even by anime standards! :eek:

Shigurui Death Frenzy

I'd love to hear what you think of this when you reach the end, I shall not say more until you get there though.

I'm currently watching Shiki, Dororo and Angel Beats, not that far into all of them yet :)

Soldato
Seitokai is funny because it's such an invert of the typical positions; and so blatant with some of its humour. If you can get the humour and recognise the conventions it is poking at, it is indeed funny, similarly to how Genshiken was all those years ago.

JoJo is weird. I have to say it's not my favourite and the art style is...different. I am not that fond of it, because the story lacks consistency and you can tell the Mangaka was making the story up as he went along at many points. Inconsistency is a pet peeve of mine in fiction; I don't mind if there is a genuine reason, but sometimes, like with JoJo, you can specifically see, watching it in condensed mode, that some of it just doesn't make sense, or is inconsistent. It's not a bad adaption, and sometimes it is funny, but I do think it is very much an anime for a specific audience, and if you are not that audience YMMV. I'm not sure I'd recommend it, but I don't hate it, and I know it has many fans.
I am more of a strong story or humour sort of guy; so to be honest I feel like I am not who JoJo is really aimed at.

Shigurui - almost there. On episode 11 I think!

Shiki, Dororo and Angel Beats are all good!

Soldato
I'm liking my selection so far, Shiki seems like a fairly straight up horror, Dororo feels like the witcher if it was sent in feudal Japan, and angel beats, feels like we've taken the cast of Haruhu Suzumiya and put them into another crazy situation (main girl Yuri is basically Haruhi, MC-kun is Kyon, and Tenshi is the alien girl!)

Soldato
The new episodes of Baki are up on Netflix.. Watched a couple last night.. I have to say the first few mins of the second episode are hilarious! I really cant believe no one at the animation company or Netflix realised that it makes Baki look like he likes little boys! :cry:

Soldato
Quite liking Sakugan at the moment but then it borrows heavily from Gurren Lagann which I love.

Side note, if anyone has a crunchyroll sub and isnt bothered about the 3 months free Xbox pass you get with the sub, would mine winging their code my way in a trust message for 2 friends it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is ok doing this you can get the code at https://www.crunchyroll.com/xbox-gamepass-2021/en-gb/index.html

Commissario
OP
Finally watched the Violet Evergarden film last night and I was a wreck at the end of it. Took me by surprise but finishes it off nicely and there is a after credits scene.
I need to watch that, probably tomorrow night as I need to be up reasonably early tomorrow:)

I've just finished season 2 of Fruits Basket which has taken it a lot further along than the original anime with a few surprises so I'm looking forward to seeing season 3 now.

I also receive the MVM release of A*** which I'm really looking forward to watching over the weekend, and hoping that it does well enough for them to release the other seasons.

Commissario
OP
I still haven't remembered/managed to watch the Violet Evergarden film on netflix:(

I did was Real Girl which I really enjoyed, I went into it utterly blind as it was a case of "ooh MVM have the collectors edition for £15, worth a punt".
I sort of guessed a bit about what was going to happen quite early but it did a good job of keeping me unsure, and as I say I really enjoyed it.

I watched Miss Hokasu (the new dual language ATA release) which I really enjoyed, and made me want to learn a bit more about the main characters in the real world.

Then I watched Belladonna of Sadness which was different to pretty much anything I can remember watching in terms of anime before, it was interesting.

Currently watching the MVM release of A*** the animation which I'm really enjoying although I'm struggling to find time for it as it's one of those anime where I really want to just sit down and pay my full attention to it and relax.

I'm also slowly watching Restaurant to another world season 2 which is fun.

And finally, www.anime-on-line.com have started their Christmas sale with some good bargains including complete blu-ray seasons starting at about £4, and alltheanime are starting theirs tonight at 5pm with their normal mystery bundles.

Soldato
I still haven't remembered/managed to watch the Violet Evergarden film on netflix:(

I watched it fairly recently, it's amazing visually as always, I've always though that VE in general tells an alright story in a very amazing fashion, this is more of the same type of thing I think. There are a couple of standout episodes from the main show that notched up the overall quality for me such as Episode 10 which will forever be one of the most sad episodes of anything I've seen.

I've not seen Real Girl yet, nor the others you mentioned, but sounds interesting, I've got a fairly short watchlist at the moment so I will consider adding some to it.

Lately I finished:

Link Click - Pretty cool anime, actually a Chinese one so very interesting to hear Chinese voices for a change. About two guys that can time travel to moments in time (with some basic rules) via the medium of Photos, worth a watch for sure! only 12 eps or so.

Odd Taxi - Pretty cool show with a bit of a mystery spin to it.

Ping Pong - Don't watch much sports anime but this was a good one, art work a bit loose but I think it's the style it's going for. OST was good, pretty short series so the pace is good.

Tokyo Revengers - Not amazing but was OK. A lot of suspension of disbelief, the MC is a bit of an idiot, and I didn't really find many of the cast that likeable.

Keep your hands off Eizouken - This was a nice fun show to watch, that seeks to encompass creationism into it's story. Worth a go :)

Akudama Drive - I liked this more and more as it went along, but if you want an action packed cyberpunk adventure filled with (some) edge, then this is a good place to find such things. I'd recommend this as well.

Soldato
Recently finished Sengoku Basara (looked and sounded nice, but not much to it), and Shigurui.
Also just finished Tatami Galaxy, that was insane...potentially brilliant but definately insane. That one is staying in my collection. Currently watching House of Five Leaves which is interesting.

Also just picked up a 65" OLED for the main TV room so going to be an even better viewing experience moving onwards :)

Soldato
Been watching Seitokai Yakuindomo recently; also added 2 more 6 shelf bookcases to the anime/manga room to get things more under control.

Also added a 32" LCD in there with a blu-ray player so I can crash in there and watch stuff if i want.

Soldato
Recently finished Sengoku Basara (looked and sounded nice, but not much to it), and Shigurui.

I had some real issues with Shigurui, and the main one was (spoiler tags here for anyone who hasn't seen it)
The fight promised in episode 1 never actually happened. There was all this exposition and we never got to see the actual duel.
I didn't want to spoil your preconceptions on it, but I wasn't a fan.

Also just finished Tatami Galaxy, that was insane...potentially brilliant but definately insane. That one is staying in my collection. Currently watching House of Five Leaves which is interesting.

Tatami Galaxy is basically Monogatari on crack. It's Monogatari at like 150% speed and 150% more craziness to go with it. I liked it, but a dub watcher would have a hard time with it, and it took me an episode or so to adjust to the 150% speed of the subs.

If you liked Tatami you could check out some of the directors other works, which include Ping Pong and Eizouken whch I mentioned above. Also Monogatari itself is awesome and worth checking out though it's not by the same director.

Soldato
I had some real issues with Shigurui, and the main one was (spoiler tags here for anyone who hasn't seen it)
The fight promised in episode 1 never actually happened. There was all this exposition and we never got to see the actual duel.
I didn't want to spoil your preconceptions on it, but I wasn't a fan.

Tatami Galaxy is basically Monogatari on crack. It's Monogatari at like 150% speed and 150% more craziness to go with it. I liked it, but a dub watcher would have a hard time with it, and it took me an episode or so to adjust to the 150% speed of the subs.

If you liked Tatami you could check out some of the directors other works, which include Ping Pong and Eizouken whch I mentioned above. Also Monogatari itself is awesome and worth checking out though it's not by the same director.

I agree with your disappointment of Shigurui. Felt like a missed opportunity/half a planned story.

And yes I've seen some of Monogatari, Bakemonogatari and some of the follow ons; mostly when they first game out...however many years ago that was now! The ED theme from Bakemonogatari (Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari) is still one of my most memorable! Tatami Galaxy reminded me more of Butterfly Effect and similar stuff, but I'm guessing you mean the style :)

Last edited:
Soldato
however many years ago that was now! The theme from Bakemonogatari is still one of my most memorable

I'm gonna say you're potentially missing a lot if you haven't caught up with all of it, the currently released series of Monogatari tie it all in together so well I was honestly impressed. Events that seemed random were given meaning, and ends were tied up nicely.

Yes, in style more than in actual storyline I meant, both are kind of pretentious in a way!

Associate
It's not anime but a quick heads up as I only saw this myself last night but Humble Bundle have a great deal on some truly classic manga that has numerous animes made from it I think.

The entire Lone Wolf and Cub series which I have in physical book form, just amazing, old school, realistic style anime about a ronin in feudal Japan. Truly beautiful piece of work, nice to have in digital form as well.

Also has Path of the Assassin, Samurai Executioner, Lady Snowblood and Crying Freeman, thousands of pages for just around £20 for top tier that gets all of it.

Only up for another 5 hours or so, well worth it for Lone Wolf and Cub alone as you get the entire 28 book volume of it.

Back
Top Bottom