Does anyone here play games on Linux?

Soldato
Just switched to the newest PopOS! and I **ing love it. Works wonders with my 6700xt. Haven't played many games but Last Epoch and Hearthstone has been working just fine and for workflow, ohh my guaarrrddd, absolutely love the "Tile Windows" feature and the ease of moving stuff around to different workspaces just using shortcuts <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3.

Soldato
OP
Just switched to the newest PopOS! and I **ing love it. Works wonders with my 6700xt. Haven't played many games but Last Epoch and Hearthstone has been working just fine and for workflow, ohh my guaarrrddd, absolutely love the "Tile Windows" feature and the ease of moving stuff around to different workspaces just using shortcuts <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3.
I've heard a lot of good things about PopOS! but it would take a lot for me to switch from OpenSUSE Tumbleweed which is by far the best Linux distro I have ever used.

Soldato
I've heard a lot of good things about PopOS! but it would take a lot for me to switch from OpenSUSE Tumbleweed which is by far the best Linux distro I have ever used.

Had some issues getting ubuntu and Manjaro to play nice with my 6700xt. Didn't see my Samsung g7 as VRR capable. Long story short, got tired of messing around with it so tried Pop and it just worked out of the box.

Soldato
PopOS was certainly the best distro I used when I was dabbling through Linux.
Kinda waiting on Proton to have support for EAC and BattleEye etc before I can fully switch though.

Soldato
Had some issues getting ubuntu and Manjaro to play nice with my 6700xt. Didn't see my Samsung g7 as VRR capable. Long story short, got tired of messing around with it so tried Pop and it just worked out of the box.
Odd, Manjaro works fine here , It's what I use with my 6800xt/VII That's with a sammy LC32 and a LG CX oled. Though not at the same time when using X11.

I need to give wayland another go. Was to unstable last time I played with it!

Soldato
Odd, Manjaro works fine here , It's what I use with my 6800xt/VII That's with a sammy LC32 and a LG CX oled. Though not at the same time when using X11.

I need to give wayland another go. Was to unstable last time I played with it!

First, while PCs are not a new thing to me, I'm still rather inexperienced with the world of Linux. Getting to know the structure and package system is like looking at Path of Exile's skill tree for the first time :p. However, I stand to make a correction: With Manjaro, the USB pen kept failing to boot the live enviroment. Same pen was fine when making Ubuntu and PopOS LiveUSBs but for whatever odd reason my Manjaro kept failing to boot, getting stuck reaching graphical desktop or something along those lines, cant remember the exact wording. Would have loved to give Manjaro a run as I understand it, that Distro is faster than PopOS to get Mesa updates? could be wrong? again I'm a noob, but a happy noob enjoying the freedom :p

Soldato
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...-anti-cheat-for-linux-including-wine-a-proton

Will be good news for many games, having watched a few videos on YouTube about it, doesn't look like a major undertaking for developers to take advantage of it.

Battle eye has done the same

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...be-opt-in-like-easy-anti-cheat/page=5#r211116

Still in the same boat as the devs will need to enable it. even though both EAC and Battle eye work natively and made little difference to game support.
Good news for old games like Planetside 2 but again IF the devs allow it .

Soldato
Using Ubuntu 21.10 and it's been flawless. If you get the latest AMD cards then it might be rough for a couple of weeks while they patch the latest AMDGPU driver into the kernel. NVIDIA cards have always been crappy on Linux, PoPOS may be better for that.

Put Steam on, and the only thing i've had a problem with so far was the FF14 launcher. Some things run better forced into Proton than native, example being Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Other stuff like Cyberpunk, Horizon, Scarlet Nexus, Surviving Mars has been fine out of the box.

Just tried Lutris to install Epic Game Store to install Fenyx and Hades, both running fine.

Associate
So far, I've found all of my games work just fine on Linux. Was running Manjaro but for reasons for another thread I'm now on Ubuntu (long story). Everything in my Steam library runs without hassle, and both Origin and Epic games have worked fine via Lutris installs. The only thing that's really been noticeable has been shaders compiling (in Vulkan), either slowing the original load time of the game, or via stuttering mid-game - not sure which of these is the least bad, but that's the only real negative I've noticed so far.

The only two things that have taken me back to Windows (10) have been in-game Ray Tracing and VR. Gotten neither of those working for my set up on Linux. Apart from that it's been Linux all the way...

Associate
Was running Manjaro but for reasons for another thread I'm now on Ubuntu (long story).
What's the long story, can't leave us hanging like that!?

I game on Linux, currently running Manjaro KDE. Previously tried Ubuntu style distros, most recently Pop-OS a couple of years ago. Certainly Linux gaming is moving on, I find myself booting into Windows less and less.

One thing I have never tried is UPlay - but I'd want to play The Division and I think there's more chance of me making it in the sack with Kate Beckinsale than there is Ubisoft porting that to Linux.

Capodecina
Soldato
Whether games work "flawlessly" or not on Linux totally depends on what games you play.

Some work fine natively.

However, if the game has not been developed for Linux, then you may as well flip a coin as to whether Proton will work for you.

Good luck getting Fortnite, Dead By Daylight, Apex Legends or Destiny 2 working on a Linux system. These are not small games either - they are massive, massive games.

The bottom line is still the same - if you're a serious gamer, go with Windows.

Associate
One thing I have never tried is UPlay - but I'd want to play The Division and I think there's more chance of me making it in the sack with Kate Beckinsale than there is Ubisoft porting that to Linux.

Good luck with Kate! :) I've installed one Ubisoft game (AC Origins) via Steam which in turn launched UPlay and from there into the game. When I tried to install UPlay on Lutris on Manjaro it didn't work, but I didn't tinker so am sure it could have if I'd spent more time tinkering (and therefore less time playing). Steam seems to be the closest to out of the box running though.

Good luck getting Fortnite, Dead By Daylight, Apex Legends or Destiny 2 working on a Linux system.

There is some hope for multiplayer - looks like Valve are succeeding in getting the anti-cheat solutions to start supporting Linux which should open up more possibilities for even more games...
https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/new...ti-cheat-support-for-linux-mac-and-steam-deck

Associate
I used POP! OS for a while and it was fine but then tried Manjaro and had a great experience with that too.

I'm now trying Drauger OS and that works great for games so far. It comes already "tweaked" for gaming apparently and has Steam, Lutris, PlayonLinux and Winetricks pre-installed.

Soldato
Good luck getting Fortnite, Dead By Daylight, Apex Legends or Destiny 2 working on a Linux system. These are not small games either - they are massive, massive games.

Geforcenow, Stadia, Geforcenow, Stadia.

It's pretty easy to play on Linux these days. And for things like you mentioned, there is cloud solutions that work effortlessly

Capodecina
Soldato
Geforcenow, Stadia, Geforcenow, Stadia.

It's pretty easy to play on Linux these days. And for things like you mentioned, there is cloud solutions that work effortlessly

I've tried Stadia, it's absolutely nothing like playing the game locally. It is not an acceptable replacement as far as I am concerned. If some people are OK with that level of quality, that's fine, but it's not for me :)

Soldato
I've tried Stadia, it's absolutely nothing like playing the game locally. It is not an acceptable replacement as far as I am concerned. If some people are OK with that level of quality, that's fine, but it's not for me :)

All depends on your connection. For me, I can't notice. And I've played 3500 hours of CSGO

Back
Top Bottom