It's funny how (fuel shortages)

Soldato
Another thing. During lockdown, there was nowhere for drivers to stop off to have a loo break or bite to eat as places were closed. Even truckers’ cafes had to close. The only places serving food allowed to open were hospitals and prisons. Even the toilets in petrol stations were closed. Hence why when my wombling group does litter picks in industrial parks and lay-bys, we find bottles of ‘drivers tizer’ tossed everywhere.

In mainland Europe, they kept the service stations (what few there are) for toilets, and roadside cafes open- though it was takeaway only. So ate at the picnic tables or in their cab if it’s poor weather.

Man of Honour
Selfish ***** like this need a good slap

While I agree - some people have high dependency on transport - my mum used to care for a couple of elderly relatives, getting them to appointments and so on if there was an actual fuel shortage it would be a difficult situation so I can see why some if in that kind of situation might stock up like that - though I doubt that is the motivation behind those in the photos :s

Soldato
Govt reportedly going to grant 10k visas to foreign lorry drivers. How exactly this puts more tanker drivers on the road I don't know as they all will likely not be ADR trained.

The whole thing has been one big coup by businesses and industry to get the gov to back down over their refusal to let foreign drivers i.e. cheap labour in. The media and public have fallen for it perfectly.

And the panic buyers are making sure it happens.

Caporegime
Modern fuels don’t have the longest shelf life so it’d be a shame if the vehicles of those idiots bulk buying in the pictures above had issues with their engines in a month or so.

I'm pretty sure the shelf life is much longer than a month?

I've left a full tank over 4 months before, and regularly only fill up once a month.

Yeah like 6 months, but even then I'd imagine it'll be more than fine.

Associate
I'm pretty sure the shelf life is much longer than a month?

I've left a full tank over 4 months before, and regularly only fill up once a month.

Yeah like 6 months, but even then I'd imagine it'll be more than fine.

Yeh this new e10 has a much shorter shelf life. But would imagine it will last a lot longer than the recommended 1 month. 95 petrol would last a year. Diesel not as long.

Man of Honour
As long as it is stored well and not allowed to get too warm probably get away with a year with just having to replace the filter earlier. Though definitely don't want gloopy diesel going through :s

Associate
Fuel light came on yesterday driving home from work. I'm a 'put in only what I need' sort of driver, so was a bit pained to fill the car up. Without the car I can't get to work, like many people. So was the only option really!

Soldato
Went to fill up this morning as was on empty, 25 car queue, 60% of pumps off, only 2 with diesel and 2 with e5.

this was 7:30 in the morning, can see it getting feisty later on when everyone wakes up and there’s no fuel left at the pumps.

Soldato
oh. The shortages are a delusion?

ha ha. Righto.

There is a shortage, made extremely worse by panic buyers is that really hard to grasp?

There is no fuel shortage, its a lorry driver shortage which means some forecourts will miss deliveries, big deal, go somewhere else that has some. Panic buyers are just stupid.

Soldato
Think the media has a big part to play whipping the masses into going out and panic buying, this in tern makes the situation worse and the news get to cash in on it all .
Media has a lot to answer for.

Soldato
That's how the civilised world works. Do you normally buy every item of a type when you go shopping? No, you buy what you ordinarily require.
Do you really think we live in a civilised world? It's everyone for themselves and **** anyone else, especially in the UK.

As soon as the thin veneer of civil society is scratched away people couldn't care less for anyone else.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm out trying to get some cat food, every petrol station is empty with bollards up over the entrances. Supermarket shelves are empty of a lot of stuff, the Sainsbury's I've just come out of has none of the cat food our two will have eat so I'm burning fuel to find some, joy

Soldato
I have a 55 mile commute to work one way (110 miles per day). On my way home on friday I had about a 1/6 of a tank left, I passed 2 petrol stations full with people waiting (one of them is a motorway service station:eek:) and then had to stop at the third because I had 20 miles of range left and another 40 miles of my journey to go.

Went for a run this morning and found cars queuing to get to my local petrol station (i'm certain that wasn't the case yesterday afternoon when i got home. The were queues in both directions to get into the petrol station.

Thankfully i am off on Tuesday and Wednesday, I may try and get a work laptop and WFH the week after if things continue.

Soldato
Do you really think we live in a civilised world? It's everyone for themselves and **** anyone else, especially in the UK.

As soon as the thin veneer of civil society is scratched away people couldn't care less for anyone else.
Compared to the rest of the world yeah this country pretty civilised. Maybe when people start killing each other for fuel, then we could say that society is breaking down.

Back
Top Bottom