Energy Suppliers

Soldato
Anyone recommend anywhere, my 1 year deal just finished with Octous and they are advising it will be nearly double my annual cost next year.

Thanks

Associate
Currently paying £145 a month for dual fuel on a Eon next fix online v41 and have 30 days left. Cheapest tariff they offer is a variable at £173.67 or a 2 year fixed at £196.07.

So I either stump up an extra £28 and risk the cap going up again next year (and more expensive fix deals) or fix now for an extra £51 for 2 years (but with no exit fee so can switch to a cheaper tariff once this blows over).

Soldato
Currently paying £145 a month for dual fuel on a Eon next fix online v41 and have 30 days left. Cheapest tariff they offer is a variable at £173.67 or a 2 year fixed at £196.07.

So I either stump up an extra £28 and risk the cap going up again next year (and more expensive fix deals) or fix now for an extra £51 for 2 years (but with no exit fee so can switch to a cheaper tariff once this blows over).

What are the exit fees on the variable? Chances are you will save that over the next few months on the variable deal anyway so dont let no exit fees trick you into a more expensive deal.

Associate
What are the exit fees on the variable? Chances are you will save that over the next few months on the variable deal anyway so dont let no exit fees trick you into a more expensive deal.

No exit fees for the variable, seems like Eon are charging more but at least leaving the options open for you to switch should the prices come down (either to one of their own cheaper deals or someone elses)

I think the cap is going up again in April 2022? That would probably bump up the variable to where the fixed price is at the moment so I 'may' save £23 a month until April by going for the variable deal now.

Soldato
I've never actually gone Variable before.

How does it work? Are you notified each month what you Direct debit will be for that month?

I've always been fixed but not too sure for this time

Soldato
Ahh ok so the price quoted is the monthly price for me, unless something changes and then I imagine they let us know ahead of time?
You are fixing the per unit cost. Your monthly direct debit is an arbitrary figure calculated differently by each supplier to make sure you pay enough for your yearly consumption without huge swings of you owing them, or them owing you 'too much'.

Variable just means the unit price can move up and down.

It may mean that you end up "short" for the year and then your monthly cost is increased to pay back what you "owe". Fixed is typically easier to predict as it is one less variable.

Soldato
I now regret that I didn't round-up my gas usage that I reported on my Bulb account, which would have self insured against increases.

Soldato
My god it seems a bloodbath with spiralling prices.
I'm with Igloo Energy and it seems all suppliers are charging more and if they go under we'll get bent over for costs.

Current rates are from 1st October (hopefully not going up anymore)

Electric - 23p SC, 21.596p KWH unit rate
Gas - 26p SC, 3.816 KWH Unit rate

Can't find cheaper.

Haven't submitted a meter reading since June.

Caporegime
Prices can't go up anymore because SVRs are already pushing against the price cap, some suppliers will have fractionally cheaper gas but more expensive electricity and vise versa.

Back
Top Bottom