The Great Resignation

Transmission breaker
Don
I manage a team of 8, and started doing so just before the lockdown.
Only 4 of them are in my country, never mind my local area. We have lost no staff in my teams.

Its been great! They call/email me whenever they need to, which is not all that often really. We get together on a Monday for a catch-up on teams, and talk about upcoming/open topics.
As a result, the sharing and team ethic is stronger than ever. I am even closer to the other teams in other countries now, as we all video call, whereas before we would only communicate on the phone, or email. Now its teams chat, or video, and I really think its made a big improvement from that respect.

Managers demanding staff being in the office all the time (or even some of the time) are simply unable/unwilling to adapt, and work with this new way. They will become less and less relevant.

WFH is a win win. I have been doing it for the last 5 years, and it has changed for the better now that more people understand/experienced it. This was long overdue, and if people want to quit to find a job that suits their life better, great!

Associate
My girlfriend quit her job last month, plus another six people in her company did aswell. The pandemic proved she wasn't valued and doesn't want to work in Event Management anymore. So currently looking for roles in the crypto banking industry while studying full time to complete her degree.

Im looking to leave my job as I can get more money for my skillset elsewhere and I dont want to travel to the office 5 days a week when or if things return back to normal. My HR department said they will work something out but the past 18 months have proved I dont need to be in the office to do my job.

Got a few interviews coming up next week, so lets see how they go!

What kind of roles in Crypto Banking and where do you find these roles? Sorry to be nosey just a topic I'm passionate about but the only roles in crypto I can find is as a software developer which I have no interest or experience in.

Soldato
What kind of roles in Crypto Banking and where do you find these roles? Sorry to be nosey just a topic I'm passionate about but the only roles in crypto I can find is as a software developer which I have no interest or experience in.

I have had two different Crypto Bank interviews the past. One for Cloud Engineer and other was IT Systems Engineer. They also had one for IT Security Engineer, there are in Switzerland though.

Plenty of fields you could explore :)

Man of Honour
The thing is with pushing for full time working from home you're effectively saying your job can be done from anywhere in the world, inc countries with lower rates of pay.

Surely it won't take long for employers to cotton onto this?
It's not quite that simple though. There are some other constraints to consider such as:
  • Timezones
  • Language / Cultural barriers
  • Legislation (stuff like restrictions on where certain types of data can be handled, where your organisation is permitted to trade, etc)
That's not to say these factors apply to all jobs, or are insurmountable, but there are stuff some barriers to universal offshoring.

Caporegime
How are people affording it

Well if they're in the tech sector then quite easily presumably.

The thing is with pushing for full time working from home you're effectively saying your job can be done from anywhere in the world, inc countries with lower rates of pay.

Surely it won't take long for employers to cotton onto this?

That's been the case for years though... I mean international companies have hired developers in India for a couple of decades at least yet there are still plenty of tech giants happily paying six-figure sums for fresh graduates in California.

So long as there are still some key people who want to work in the office in locations like that then they're still going to recruit other team members to work with them etc.. and they'll see value in having those people over people working from home or working from a remote office in India etc..

I thionk you're right with regards to some of those who choose to work from home though as there could be a bit of a divide there; if you're a regular joe, nothing special etc.. then working from home might end up devaluing you. If you're a valued employee they don't want to lose then you're perhaps the sort of person who could have negotiated working from home full time before the pandemic anyway.

Soldato
14 quid an hour according to Google.

client of mine who has full HGV license plus ALL the other add on's (chemical/heavy/waste/Fuel loads etc) earns in excess of £60k a year with a bit of overtime here and there. He's maybe away from home 1 or 2 nights a week but his lorry is better than some flats I've seen! (fridge, tv, air con, large bed etc)

Good money if you have experience and good history....

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Anyone else noticed the impacts of the great resignation on their industries or have possibly considered it themselves?

Yup, the college I am intending to teach at once I finish my Ph.D has had a raft of resignations, so much that I'm seriously considering if it's a place I want to teach at. Similarly, my wife's school has had three teachers and two TA's resign - not retire, not getting another job - just leaving the profession, and my wifes school is one of the better ones. Academies are being hit even harder. Teachers rarely have any trouble getting a better paid job in the private sector and are very much sought after.

Schools (and education in general) are in for a whole world of pain over the next few years.

Soldato
The market is crazy out there. I look after a team of about 30, and whilst I'd say people are generally happy and the vibe is good, we're getting competitors offer frankly insane packages to people. With the best will in the world, if you're 21 and someone offers you £250k a year and £250k in stock, you'll probably leave :p

Soldato
OP
The market is crazy out there. I look after a team of about 30, and whilst I'd say people are generally happy and the vibe is good, we're getting competitors offer frankly insane packages to people. With the best will in the world, if you're 21 and someone offers you £250k a year and £250k in stock, you'll probably leave :p
I assume this is tech? They seem to be in a bit of panic at the moment about the people shortage. I got pulled into a meeting out of the blue last week and got a 5% pay rise for retention.

Soldato
How would one get into this?
Apply to roles and/or reach out to sales leaders - there are plenty of roles out there.

10-15 years experience you should be getting a package of around £280k - £350k and (assuming overachoiemvent) be earning £400k+ at a fairly safe, big software company.

Get into a startup with the right backing, a bit of luck and you'll be taking a lot more than that.

Soldato
Apply to roles and/or reach out to sales leaders - there are plenty of roles out there.

10-15 years experience you should be getting a package of around £280k - £350k and (assuming overachoiemvent) be earning £400k+ at a fairly safe, big software company.

Get into a startup with the right backing, a bit of luck and you'll be taking a lot more than that.

This is incredible, what sort of background do you need? I work in healthcare as a pharmacist, would I need a computer science degree or any other experience?

Soldato
Yup, the college I am intending to teach at once I finish my Ph.D has had a raft of resignations, so much that I'm seriously considering if it's a place I want to teach at. Similarly, my wife's school has had three teachers and two TA's resign - not retire, not getting another job - just leaving the profession, and my wifes school is one of the better ones. Academies are being hit even harder. Teachers rarely have any trouble getting a better paid job in the private sector and are very much sought after.

Schools (and education in general) are in for a whole world of pain over the next few years.
100% Agree.

I left teaching at the end of May. I didn't have a job to go to.
Just wanted out, and I wasnt alone. 3 others left just after I did.

I now earn 15k higher than what I could have done at Pay scale M6. Doing less work, less hours and 1000% less stress.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I assume this is tech? They seem to be in a bit of panic at the moment about the people shortage. I got pulled into a meeting out of the blue last week and got a 5% pay rise for retention.

My linkedin is full of job offers, surprisingly a lot are around COBOL. I'm seriously considering going contracting as a COBOL dev when I finish my Ph.D.

Soldato
I swapped jobs, went from a more hands-on engineering role in Saudi to a pure instructional role on a completely different platform back here in the UK. I've had quite a few invites for international jobs as a well but the current "anything could change at any time" concerns around international travel have put me off working abroad again for the near future.

Back
Top Bottom