*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yeh, it will be due to feature sets for enterprise use.

"The Windows 11 Enterprise edition may have all features of Windows 11 Pro, but with some extra features specially designed for IT-based organizations."

Yea but thats vague and unhelpful, does it have more stuff removed by default, what are those extra features etc?

I'm going to assume that its just going to include the endpoint management stuff.

Associate
On the plus side looks like TPM security isn't standing up too well to attacks - which makes a bit of a mockery of going so hard on adopting it though I guess they'll just require increasingly newer versions which are more robust/not yet exploited.

Weaknesses in the TPM implementation have been around for a while, ultimately the TPM will be replaced by Pluton, with Win11’s being imminent I wonder if we will see this implemented in the next round of CPU’s; https://www.microsoft.com/security/...-chip-designed-for-the-future-of-windows-pcs/

In the not to distant future I can see wider use of software attestation with subscription based payment models for cloud based products, such as O365.

Soldato
I'm testing the latest ISO (modded to install on my ancient haswell cpu/mbr hard drive) and it's definitely moved on since the day one release I tried. It'll be interesting to see if they really do block updates for those on unsupported hardware. For a lot of people, that would be an ideal scenario. :p

Permabanned
OP
I'm testing the latest ISO (modded to install on my ancient haswell cpu/mbr hard drive) and it's definitely moved on since the day one release I tried. It'll be interesting to see if they really do block updates for those on unsupported hardware. For a lot of people, that would be an ideal scenario. :p

I think they will try and fail. There's too many people ripping the OS apart to override any changes they make.

Which mods did you do to get it installed?

Soldato
"Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT v2.0", option 2 which creates a new ISO from an original insiders ISO. I then mounted it and upgraded my existing 10 install. All previous apps work except a few had to be re-installed to restore missing entries on the right click menu in Explorer.

Soldato
I only use windows for games.
So I'm hoping more linux games come out on steam..

I think windows for gamers is becoming like some console software.

The problem with Linux is there are so many variants and it's not ideal for a home user who has never used Linux before. Installing and modding games on Windows is far easier for the average user.

I'm not sure what you mean 'like some console software'. Windows 11 looks different to Windows 10 but you can pretty much make it how you like. That's the flexibility of Windows and all my apps work fine.

M.

Caporegime
I've noticed significant improvements in:

- HDMI connections and handshakes
- HDR functionality
- Network sharing reliability across LAN
- DisplayPort handling in terms of windows not shifting around

No issues with gaming and everything seems very snappy.

I prefer the rounded corner look.

Associate
I have been testing it for a couple of weeks and if windows 10 runs 11 should be fine, assuming specs meet the minimum requirements , mine didn't but it still allowed me to install from settings\insider anyway. I have gone back to win 10 though, just couldn't get used to the start menu, liked the win 10 side pinned apps\groups, win 11 just lumps pinned at the top. Tried to enable the win 10 using a registry entry but it never worked.

Soldato
The problem with Linux is there are so many variants and it's not ideal for a home user who has never used Linux before. Installing and modding games on Windows is far easier for the average user.

I'm not sure what you mean 'like some console software'. Windows 11 looks different to Windows 10 but you can pretty much make it how you like. That's the flexibility of Windows and all my apps work fine.

M.

I mean locked down like console software.
I'm sure that's where MS are heading.

I won't be going near it till they take the TPM option out.

Associate
Permabanned
Back
Top Bottom