New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Good, this season long ******** imo doesn't really fit trek at all. You just get too many episodes that are nothing but filler. Much prefer a more traditional style.

I think doing Trek serialised is fine when you have a clear idea of where you want to get to and can make it pay off. STD failed miserably at this in all three seasons so far (seemingly having no clue where it was going or how to deal with things once it got there), and STP also had issues (it knew where it wanted to go, it just couldn't stick the landing).

DS9 managed to combine story arcs with the classic episodic format and was all the better for it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Rather amusingly, Lower Decks might have just declared a part of STD non-canon. They showed a TMP/TWOK era Enterprise, which can't exist in the STD universe because of the scaling change with the ship...and some would say it already stretched credibility to breaking point that the TOS ship was refitted into that one. Hey ho. Gonna make it awkward when Strange New Worlds uses the Discoprise!

By the way, the latest ep of STLD? It was actually the first one that I found genuinely funny, and was also the first episode to take the premise - a ship of scrappy underdogs who get no respect from anyone else in the fleet - and make it work in-universe IMO.

Soldato
That's one thing LD has got right over any other New Trek show. Its firmly set in the TNG universe and has constantly made references to every era of Trek. TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Everything looks like it should as well.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The latest trailer for S4 showed a Ferengi. Or, at least, the STD showrunners' idea of what a Ferengi looks like rather than how they've been shown up until now.

xcnZYka.png

Again, amusingly, Lower Decks managed to show Ferengi that looked like the makeup from TNG/DS9/VOY. Still, guess we should be glad that STD didn't go quite as far as it did with the Klingon makeup.

Trailer:

Still looks remarkably awful. Wonder what will be behind the galaxy-ending anomaly this time? A hungry puppy, maybe?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
:)

I am going for race of cute cats with psionic abilities after being left behind by some research vessel.

Well at least it's good thread for the winter and how bad it is.

Soldato
The latest trailer for S4 showed a Ferengi. Or, at least, the STD showrunners' idea of what a Ferengi looks like rather than how they've been shown up until now.

xcnZYka.png

Again, amusingly, Lower Decks managed to show Ferengi that looked like the makeup from TNG/DS9/VOY. Still, guess we should be glad that STD didn't go quite as far as it did with the Klingon makeup.

Trailer:

Still looks remarkably awful. Wonder what will be behind the galaxy-ending anomaly this time? A hungry puppy, maybe?
I'll just say that it's in the far future. It's possible that Ferengi have evolved a bit so their new look can be explained that way.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'll just say that it's in the far future. It's possible that Ferengi have evolved a bit so their new look can be explained that way.

In the 900-1,000 years in canon we've seen between times?

How much have humans changed in that sort of time? The average has gotten a bit taller but no excessive changes, even in a species that breeds like we do.

In fact, just how much have humans changed in the STD universe over time? We have art in the Real World™ that depicts humans from more than a thousand years before now and they're shown looking exactly like we do today. Yet in the 32nd century humans look remarkably like the 21st century actors portraying them.

But the Ferengi changed that much? In a mere 1,000 years?

Puh-leeze...:p

People really do seem to forget/not comprehend just how long evolution takes!

or he may not be a pure Ferengi, I'm sure by then there would be a lot of interspecies breeding

That might be the only saving throw. How long until there's a rewrite to include it? ;)

Commissario
or he may not be a pure Ferengi, I'm sure by then there would be a lot of interspecies breeding
He's basically a darker skinned Grand Nagus Zek by the looks of it (DS9 showed there was a huge amount of variety in the ears).
Having just finished a rewatch of DS9 last night that's my immediate thought.
Apparently that is closer to the original DS9 design sketches, but my suspicion is that for the "every episode" characters they may have simplified it to make it faster to do make up/easier for the actors at the time*, so ended up with a huge variety and IIRC it's been commented on in DS9 that Ferengi have at least two sets of "lobes" during their life, as I think it was Season 6 there was a comment about how Nog or Rom looked with his first lobes.

Although as you say he could be part Klingon or something.

*I suspect the larger prosthetics may be much more uncomfortable/heavier to wear and more prone to damage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seemed to be a part cardassian in the trailer as well 48 seconds in yer woman saying leadership is about balance. Subtle face ridges and no cobra neck.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Let's start the discovery thread again and begin the general slating of this "it's nearly as bad as Picard but not quite"

SPG

SPG

Soldato
:)

Yes they are both bad, very very bad. But turning Picard into some kind of pseudo pensioner with zero gravitas is beyond redemption.

Back
Top Bottom