Sunday Times to investigate OLED Screen Burn Issues

Soldato
Is that why thousands of people are taking LG to court over it?

A. Because most people haven’t got a clue on legal rights and just roll over
B. It never gets to court as they settle as it sets a legal precedent and that case can be used be others to prove a case.

I take it you never had a Xbox 360? I did , and had the infamous red ring of death. Threatened legal action with Electronics Boutique ( now called Game ) back in the day. That was out of warranty. 3rd letter of legal action , and I got a refund.

Soldato
A. Because most people haven’t got a clue on legal rights and just roll over
B. It never gets to court as they settle as it sets a legal precedent and that case can be used be others to prove a case.

I take it you never had a Xbox 360? I did , and had the infamous red ring of death. Threatened legal action with Electronics Boutique ( now called Game ) back in the day. That was out of warranty. 3rd letter of legal action , and I got a refund.
RROD had a class action lawsuit...

And yes I had several and it's how I learned about reflowing BGA chips :)

So has anyone discussed going this route successfully?

Soldato
Is that why thousands of people are taking LG to court over it?
not sure there are 1000's of people - original drive-by op was trying to create social media publicity
[like his provocative postings on avforums ]

But all they said was sorry I’m not happy on the 60% usage charge and they are within consumer rights act ( can’t see how ).
but the consumer right act predicates a wear/usage deduction.

what is the nature/degree of the burnin ? obviously some would be more defensible than others like say a utube logo, versus another shadow from a media source that's less prevalent;
low power on hours, would be a means to justify your useage/situation was atypical, how many pixel refreshes has it had.
what did they say about evidence you sent ?

Are they not offering the £200 screen replace option (if pricing, op said, is true) does that have a warranty associated.

I have a different view to @Ayahuasca on the interest.

I think of interest-bearing finance as a tool. It enabled you to make a purchase that you might not have done otherwise because the cash wasn't available. For this reason, the credit provider shoulders some responsibility for you owning the goods that you now find "are not fit for purpose"; the argument being that had the retailer not provided a rent-to-buy option then you would not have purchased.

This is a very similar argument to credit card purchases. There are additional protections in place for the consumer against the credit card companies for exactly this reason.

Investigate further at https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.../consumer-credit/goods-services-bought-credit
refunding interest with similar wear and tear deduction, as product itself, would seem most fair.

Soldato
@jpaul Very themselves haven't given me an option of paying for a replacement screen.

The burn in is definitely YouTube in top corner, but other stuff all over the place I can't make out .
Another issue I need to bring up with them is the time frame is wrong. I annitially queried about the screen burn back in April. So inside 40% , but I left it as unsure what to do. My OFFICIAL request was then after 3 years so now 60%.

Man of Honour
I don’t want to drag this out tbh… I was considering a counter offer of I keep the tv , with the 60% usage applied ( they’ve had 2 years interest at silly money anyway) …. Atm they want take the tv back if I accept….which is nuts, and I pay to fix it myself.

Oled has an inherent fault so I’m paying to fix an issue that could happen again.
BIB: I can certainly understand that. All I have done is point out something which might strengthen your case against Very. What you decide to do with that information is entirely up to you.

Where there's an inherent fault though, should you really be left footing the bill for a repair?

Soldato
@jpaul

I'm not totalling clear on what they are offering tbh if its 60% loss and they get the tv back and all interest null in void rhats a no no from me.

If its 60% loss but I get interest back AND I keep the TV, I could possibly live with that as it will cost me £200 to fix it.

Although I'm still using a technology that could fail again.

Associate
I've created this thread for anyone who has experienced OLED screen burn and has not reached a satisfactory resolution with the retailer they purchased the product from.

I am currently in dispute with John Lewis over a screen burn issue on my 55" LG B6 OLED TV. I've been given the run around like many others and they are refusing to cover the screen burn under warranty as they say it's explicitly excluded and they also don't consider this is covered under the Consumer Rights Act, 2015 as they classify that it can only be caused by misuse. As I'm sure was the case for many of you, this really got me annoyed as a TV should be fit for purpose and be expected to last at least the 6 years required under our consumer rights.

After contacting the Question of Money, of the Sunday Times, I got a positive response from Jill Insley who writes the column. Jill has agreed to investigate my case and I highlighted how I believe the problem is widespread. So she has kindly agreed to take complaints from anyone else affected, regardless of which retailer you purchased the TV from.

I'd appreciate it if you could reply to this thread if you do send in your details, just so we're all aware of the numbers of people involved, but clearly that's up to you.

So Jill asked for the following:

"No complaints going back further than six years. If the complainants could email me at this address, and put OLED and the name of the company they bought the TV from in the email title, then give fuller details about when they bought the TV, when the problem developed and a description of the problem, and what response they have had from the retailer, plus an emailed copy of the receipt for the TV "

The email address is [email protected]

I hope Jill can shame the retailers and LG into some reasonable course of action.

Please feel free to spread the word elsewhere as I'm not really an active contributor on forums (just created this account today after seeing how many people were affected). I will also look for other forums that have posts of OLED screen burn.

Good Luck to everyone

Edited: My dispute with John Lewis has now been resolved - see a later post on this forum. The Sunday Times had not yet followed up with John Lewis and as this is now resolved, they will no longer investigate and report on my case. However Jill has said she will look at any other cases she has received and see if these provide the information she needs to investigate this.

Do you know what causes burn-in! The User with allots of static on screen using the OLED like a cheap LCD\QLED panel, there is allots of tips online to prevent Burn-in but people are idiots they don't read or follow the LG guild and turn off TV features, there no point spreading awareness or shaming LG with. The Sunday Times, you should read the law consumer goods act, JL Protect-Plus, Burn-in it reads -We shall not be liable for: your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, cosmetic damage such as damage to paintwork, dents or scratches, repairs required where the product is functioning within the manufacturer’s tolerances (for example, number of pixel failures). So if you got burn-in who fault is that LG!

Stop spread false information to shame LG when it's the User problem not OLED panel problem if gamers what to play thousands of hours with allots of static on TV screen than buy LCD. And by the way I am an OLED user:p

Last edited:
Soldato
if you believe you have used the product within mftrs instructions and it shows burn-in that makes it a manufacturing fault - JL can't abdicate responsibility,
and in particular, cynically, introduce burn in protection insurance to polarise the issue for earlier owners, if anything, it acknowledges there is a grey area,
samsung now selling a burn in warranted product does that too.
If I'd watched the olympics/tdf/wc and some emblem was burned in I think the judge would rule, that is reasonable use.

I'm not totalling clear on what they are offering tbh if its 60% loss and they get the tv back and all interest null in void rhats a no no from me.

If its 60% loss but I get interest back AND I keep the TV, I could possibly live with that as it will cost me £200 to fix it.

Although I'm still using a technology that could fail again.

if LG independantly will fix for £200 , or other retailers offer that , I think you could propose to Very that the product is not evidentially beyond economic repair, ..
so , if they pay £100 and you pay £100 fine ... otherwise, as you say, what is the tv really worth for them

Soldato
@jpaul

it’s the wording they are using… tbh if I can have some of the Very credit back and keep the tv for me to fix , that outcome would be preferable……

You have recently been in contact with us regarding your item.

Please be advised that this item cannot be returned as it is outside of the first-year manufacturing warranty

Therefore,You would need to obtain an independent report.

This is when you get a qualified engineer from a VAT registered company to inspect the item and compile a letter headed report.

The report will need to state what the fault is, cause of the fault, and whether or not it is a manufacturing fault.

The report must state if the item can be repaired or not and what the cost of repair would be and also contain clear company contact details.

We will cover the cost of the report up to £45 if a manufacturing fault has been found.

If a refund or return is authorized, after we have received the report, then we will need to charge you 20% usage fee of the item as you have had the item for more one year.

0 - 12 Months = Warranty Period
13 - 24 Months = 20% Usage Charge
25 - 36 Months = 40% Usage Charge
37 - 48 Months = 60% Usage Charge
49 - 60 Months = 80% Usage Charge
61 - 72 Months = 100% Usage Charge (No Refund Applicable).”

So going by that reply that won’t accept a return ? Or am I wrong? Which would mean I keep the tv and get interest stopped and the credit back ?

Soldato
So going by that reply that won’t accept a return ?
If the independent inspection deems it a manufacturing fault they will issue a refund. If the inspection says "burn in due to improper usage" then they won't.

Which would mean I keep the tv and get interest stopped and the credit back ?
If they don't accept a return or refund then there is no cash to be sent your way relating to this case as you still have the TV. The interest and credit situation is, really, **** all to do with LG or the TV and entirely between you and Very and their policies. There won't be a precedent or standard here to be honest.

It's nice that you think you deserve a free TV but there's no legal reason they should refund you the value of the product (prorated for usage or interest or not...) without receiving the (faulty, yes? You're very insistent it's both faulty at present and faulty by design) product. Ultimately it would be their goodwill to leave you with both the product and a large portion of the money. I'd expect they're more likely to give you a small rebate than a large refund, if you want to keep the telly.

The faulty telly that is. That's faulty by design even if you pay £200 for a new panel.

Soldato
Well an update…..after some faffing about on the phone to very , I threw in the curve ball of them paying my repair bill…… which they agreed on.

and then…….phoned LG …..they are relocating the repair centre and aren’t taking repairs atm :cry::cry::cry: you couldn’t make it up :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Associate
if you believe you have used the product within mftrs instructions and it shows burn-in that makes it a manufacturing fault - JL can't abdicate responsibility,
and in particular, cynically, introduce burn in protection insurance to polarise the issue for earlier owners, if anything, it acknowledges there is a grey area,
samsung now selling a burn in warranted product does that too.
If I'd watched the olympics/tdf/wc and some emblem was burned in I think the judge would rule, that is reasonable use. if LG independantly will fix for £200 , or other retailers offer that , I think you could propose to Very that the product is not evidentially beyond economic repair, ..
so , if they pay £100 and you pay £100 fine ... otherwise, as you say, what is the tv really worth for them

It depends on how you use your OLED within the manufacturer’s instructions. A Pixel Refresher starts when you use 2,000hours, so if you refresher your OLED three times a year that's improper usage that's like 6,000hours that is why manufacturers consider burn in to be a user caused issue (I.e. physical damage) Not an OLED panel fault, and if read the JL insurance TERMS AND CONDITIONS - All information you give must be true, factual and not misleading. Your product must have been installed, maintained and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

LG Burn-in information
https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/oled-tvs/oled-reliability/main.jsp

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on how you use your OLED within the manufacturer’s instructions. A Pixel Refresher starts when you use 2,000hours, so if you refresher your OLED three times a year that's improper usage that's like 6,000hours that is why manufacturers consider burn in to be a user caused issue (I.e. physical damage) Not an OLED panel fault, and if read the JL insurance TERMS AND CONDITIONS - All information you give must be true, factual and not misleading. Your product must have been installed, maintained and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

LG Burn-in information
https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/oled-tvs/oled-reliability/main.jsp

I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong in this instance. With me it clearly shows a YouTube logo retention….which you only get a logo on the main menu and not when playing content. I’ve had m6 oled less than 3 years …. And I game / Apple TV / YouTube. That logo shouldn’t appear.

Soldato
Well an update…..after some faffing about on the phone to very , I threw in the curve ball of them paying my repair bill…… which they agreed on.

and then…….phoned LG …..they are relocating the repair centre and aren’t taking repairs atm :cry::cry::cry: you couldn’t make it up :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh boo

Soldato
and then…….phoned LG …..they are relocating the repair centre and aren’t taking repairs atm
but you've locked it in ? got a commit from lg you can show to Very.

I’m sorry but I think you’re wrong in this instance. With me it clearly shows a YouTube logo retention….which you only get a logo on the main menu and not when playing content. I’ve had m6 oled less than 3 years …. And I game / Apple TV / YouTube. That logo shouldn’t appear.
If LG sanction/provide an App whose main interface gives burn-in ... what do they expect - lemonade

Soldato
I have the JL 5 year protect plus special warranty which covers burn in supposedly. Cost me £140. I think it is contracted out to legal and general insurers or someone like that. Mine is a cx. Not noticed any issues yet coming up to one year. We use YouTube on it and watch a lot of sport with logos. Mixed usage all round really. We try not to ever pause anything and have all the prevention stuff turned on.

Soldato
Oled has an inherent fault so I’m paying to fix an issue that could happen again.

Yeah goodluck with that. I hope to see you in the high court vs LG, prove your point man!

"Fault" implies an unplanned engineering issue or accident on the production line.

Back
Top Bottom