Audi owners in here!

Associate
Nice! What's the power in those? 200ps?

Forgot to mention it's the petrol variant so I believe it is around 190bhp, I was very surprised to find it's quoted to do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds but I guess the quattro is going to help with that.

The whole thing feels a lot nicer to sit in compared to the previous Golf's I've had!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just been looking at these off the back of this post. I thought it was 220, but it’s “only” 190.

Seems disappointing considering the 8P had 200 in the 2.0TFSI. Nice car though; wouldn’t say no.

The A4 I have is 2.0TSFI and that’s a healthy 252ps.

Associate
Hi there,

I'd be interested to hear how the switch has gone for you.

I have a 330D touring myself and as it's a slow day in work, I'm looking at ways to waste money :D

I'm quite keen to get a B8 just to have enjoyed the ownership experience (well hopefully enjoyed!).

Not looking for a low mileage cherished example as it will be my daily. I've seen one but it does have a few mods which I do wonder about (Although all mine are modded in some way :) )

Hi Edd, I loved both cars. For me personally:

The 330d was borderline the perfect family “do it all” wagon, I think only trumped by a 530d. It did lack a little soul though, typically German excellence but a bit sterile as a result.

The RS4 was an emotional event everytime you got in comparison. Two years older and 30k more miles, but still solid. It wanted to be driven hard all the time, and sounded fantastic on full gas. My kids adored it, wife hated it, other RS drivers always wanted to race it :cry:

The 330d handled better, the RS4 was marginally more comfortable and a little more practical (really small differences).

RS4 was more expensive to run, the fuel is no joke. DRC suspension is something to watch for and an expensive fit. Make sure to find one with a full history and ensure these oil extras have been done on time. Discs are expensive too. Here’s a snapshot of addition bits per Audi e.g:

Audi Additional Service Requirements:
  • Front Final Drive: renew gearbox oil – Every 20,000 miles.
  • Dual Clutch Gearbox S-Tronic: Replace ATF filter and ATF fluid – Every 40,000 miles.
  • Rear Final Drive : Replace final drive oil – Every 40,000 miles.
  • Rear Final Drive : Replace ATF fluid – Every 40,000 miles.
  • Engine Air Filter : Replace both filters – Every 60,000 miles.
  • Engine Spark Plugs : Replace all 8 – Every 60,000 miles or 6 years. Whichever comes first.
  • Front Brake Discs – Replace at the minimum 32.4mm thickness.
  • Rear Brake Discs – Replace at the minimum 20mm thickness.
  • Front Brake Pads – replace at 10mm (includes backing and damper plate).
  • Rear Brake Pads – replace at 7mm (includes backing and damper plate).

TLDR:
Both great cars
330d is efficient German engineering
RS4 is the party animal brother that wants you to do shots at 100mph with the dog sellotaped to the floor of the boot.
I’d make the swap for the engine experience alone :D

Soldato
RS4 was more expensive to run, the fuel is no joke.

Thanks for the reply. Do you still have the RS4?

I've seen one local ish Sepang Blue with the right options/full history/extended warranty etc. Owner only had it since January so maybe running costs have got the better of him.

It's an itch I just need to scratch though :) With an all parts warranty from Audi I can at least run the thing for a year or so without too much worry. It's a nice example so unlikely to be hard to move it on and can always go back to a F31 if needs be - I really like it so wouldn't be unhappy getting another. Or see where G21 prices are at that time.

Associate
Thanks for the reply. Do you still have the RS4?

I've seen one local ish Sepang Blue with the right options/full history/extended warranty etc. Owner only had it since January so maybe running costs have got the better of him.

It's an itch I just need to scratch though :) With an all parts warranty from Audi I can at least run the thing for a year or so without too much worry. It's a nice example so unlikely to be hard to move it on and can always go back to a F31 if needs be - I really like it so wouldn't be unhappy getting another. Or see where G21 prices are at that time.

Owner is probably making a few quid due to the insane prices at the moment!

I don’t have mine, flipped it for a company BEV :cry:

Soldato
I have an appointment at my local Audi garage tomorrow. 4 months away from the ballon payment on my 2018 S5. The ballon payment will be 20k. A quick look on AutoTrader shows cars of same age and mileage going for 34-36k. So I’ve actually got a bit more in the bank then I thought I would. Obviously this is done to the silly prices of used cars at the moment but good news all the same.

I haven’t got a clue what my plan is yet. As great as the S5 has been. I don’t want a new one. Mainly because they are now diesel but also because not much has changed. I did consider going more sensible going to A6 Avant with a decent engine or the SQ5. Both don’t look as nice as my S5 though.

So got some deciding to do I guess. Audi called me today to see what I interested in. They did say that I’d be crazy not to trade in or just buy it then sell with the used prices what they are. He also said that they didn’t have many new cars and that long wait on stuff they didn’t have. Oh and that wasn’t expecting supply issues to be resolved until May/April.

Top of my list at the min is buying it then selling straight away. Sitting on the cash for a few months then picking up a used M4. The wife has a new A3 so can use that until something else appears. Not sure what to do really though.

Soldato
I have an appointment at my local Audi garage tomorrow. 4 months away from the ballon payment on my 2018 S5. The ballon payment will be 20k. A quick look on AutoTrader shows cars of same age and mileage going for 34-36k. So I’ve actually got a bit more in the bank then I thought I would. Obviously this is done to the silly prices of used cars at the moment but good news all the same.

I haven’t got a clue what my plan is yet. As great as the S5 has been. I don’t want a new one. Mainly because they are now diesel but also because not much has changed. I did consider going more sensible going to A6 Avant with a decent engine or the SQ5. Both don’t look as nice as my S5 though.

So got some deciding to do I guess. Audi called me today to see what I interested in. They did say that I’d be crazy not to trade in or just buy it then sell with the used prices what they are. He also said that they didn’t have many new cars and that long wait on stuff they didn’t have. Oh and that wasn’t expecting supply issues to be resolved until May/April.

Top of my list at the min is buying it then selling straight away. Sitting on the cash for a few months then picking up a used M4. The wife has a new A3 so can use that until something else appears. Not sure what to do really though.

Why not keep it?

The S5 is a fabulous car and you’re not going to lose the 15k on it in the next few months :)

Soldato
Why not keep it?

The S5 is a fabulous car and you’re not going to lose the 15k on it in the next few months :)

That certainly is an option. Stick on a private plate to hide its age. It's still in fantastic condition and the only thing to ever go wrong with it was a sensor that was a quick fix.

This whole pandemic thing has made me rethink the importance of spending loads of money on something that's sat on the drive more often than not.

Im off to see em in a couple of hours, so if I'm back posting to say look at my new R8 you will know something went very wrong :D

Man of Honour
Quite. Obviously a nice car is important, perhaps even an obviously current model, but an environment where a 67 plate versus a 68 plate otherwise identical Audi makes any form of difference seems like a stretch.

Perhaps if it does the focus should be on moving away from the car that looks like an A5 2.0 TDI into something a little more upmarket like an A6. And don't even think about showing up in the other halfs A3 :eek:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Wife's Mondeo titanium x sport (2ltr ecoboost) was crashed into by a third party and we've been given this (A3 30 tfsi sport) whilst thier insurer sorts the repair out - to say I'm underwhelmed (infotainment aside) is an understatement, can't wait to get the Mondeo back.

Wife has actually chosen to drive my mondeo titanium x 2.0 tdci over this. The Audi is obviously slower, fair enough, but I thought the handling would be better than the Mondeo, but it's still a rough ride even in comfort mode but in dynamic mode it doesn't handle as wheel as the Mondeo. The steering is uncommunicative, the brakes are like an on off switch, the seats are too narrow, short and feel cheap, it hasnt even got the equipment the Mondeos have and I'm not impressed by the interior plastics either. Aside from the infotainment, the only other thing it has going for it is it's quiet, but that's prob down to it being a saloon and even then it's not as quiet as my old scorpio.

It just seems like there is no point to the car other than badge snobbery.

Back
Top Bottom