First laptop ever for me coming from desktop

Associate
Hello guys,

i will soon move to UK (work related and who knows i might like living there :D) and finally my time for a laptop has come. Never used one tbh mostly repaired them but now its a must. Have 0 knowledge on the laptop side of different brands opposed to pc parts so reading hundreds of reviews is exhausting.

My budget is not dead set but i do not want to go over £1k(600-700£ ideally). As i will be working both from the office and at home i need something mobile (building a pc not an option for atleast 14 months). Yes i sold the pc i was using before because it costs too much to transport it and i dont want to make 5 trips to take all my belongings to UK. Specswise i want a 11nth gen I5 or a ryzen 5. A good screen is a huge plus and about gaming light titles and csgo,league not much more.Storage not a big deal as i used external HDD for data storage. The main thing i hate from laptops is the heat generated. Dont mind loudness as i use anc headphones.

I honestly have been researching a lot of laptops and have no clue what to decide. Also i have 1-2 months of time to choose the laptop before i travel to UK so maybe waiting for christmas sales could be wise :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hello guys,

i will soon move to UK (work related and who knows i might like living there :D) and finally my time for a laptop has come. Never used one tbh mostly repaired them but know its a must. Have 0 knowledge on the laptop side of different brands opposed to pc parts so reading hundreds of reviews is exhausting.

My budget is not dead set but i do not want to go over £1k(600-700£ ideally). As i will be working both from the office and at home i need something mobile (building a pc not an option for atleast 14 months). Yes i sold the pc i was using before because it costs too much to transport it and i dont want to make 5 trips to take all my belongings to UK. Specswise i want a 11nth gen I5 or a ryzen 5. A good screen is a huge plus and about gaming light titles and csgo,league not much more.Storage not a big deal as i used external HDD for data storage. The main thing i hate from laptops is the heat generated. Dont mind loudness as i use anc headphones.

I honestly have been researching a lot of laptops and have no clue what to decide. Also i have 1-2 months of time to choose the laptop before i travel to UK so maybe waiting for christmas sales could be wise :D

You might be able to pick up a cheap Legion 5 if you are lucky, they have some good reviews.

Associate
OP
You might be able to pick up a cheap Legion 5 if you are lucky, they have some good reviews.
Well its not that 900£ is cheap, for me atleast:cry:. Some folks said that the new iris xe chips can provide my "basic gaming" needs. Diging more have found cheap options like asus vivobook s15 16gb 512ssd 1135g7 for 450-570£ or equivalent 5500U r5, thinkbook 512ssd 1135g7 8gb for 540£ after cashback, acer nitro 5 512ssd 11300h 8gb 1650 for 720£. or if going all out a G5 with 3060 is within my budget in OCUK but people say it overheats a lot and need to repaste asap.

Soldato
tough to get a brand new £1000 gaming laptop that has a good screen, on paper it looks good. 1080p IPS and other bells and whistles they quote you.
Then you get it in the post, turn it on and find out the colors are all washed out to hell and the brighness sucks.
I had a few under 1000 and the screens were so bad.
The only two i had very good screens were alienwares that cost £2000 - £3000.

Better off getting a quality used one that is a bit older but was very expensive when new and had a good screen fitted.
Just look at reviews, they test the screens and heat etc.

Back
Top Bottom