petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
The sense of entitlement among people is quite funny, yes its annoying people have panic bought, having a smaller, more eco engine doesn't make you more entitled to fuel over others either.

Soldato
Some of news reckons 1 in 100 petrol stations empty - must be very localised as if I felt need to top up anywhere near here in Essex I don't think I'd manage even local village stations where I live are empty

I don't think theres a filling station within 30 miles that has any fuel left they're all empty really hope it gets resolved by the end of next week when my tank will be empty or I'll be having interesting conversations with the boss about how I'm going to get into work

Took a trip around my local area earlier, most garages I passed had no fuel whatsoever.

As I very much doubt the vast majority of panic buyers will empty their tanks in the next few days, the situation should correct itself,

You'd think so but I remember the last time people were waiting ages in queues just to top up even if 3/4 or 4/5 full. Gotta fill that tank right up

I'm finding the actual roads quieter than normal, shops are no busier and there is stock for everything.

It's just the idiots at petrol stations. But by queueing up down the roads they are blocking other things too.

Its definitely quieter and people aren't driving aggressively for the most part which makes a change they'll all trying to eak out what they have I think

Last edited:
Soldato
I went out to Norwich this morning and our local Tesco was out this morning, all the rural stations in the middle of nowhere had huge queues and were down to just super if they stocked it by the afternoon on my way back. All the main filling stations I passed were out or had silly queues.

On my way back into our local town I saw a tanker had just pulled into Tesco and the guy had not even got out of his cab and cars were already forming a queue behind it. My neighbour came home 10 mins after me and she said the queue had now blocked the main road and it was gridlock. The tanker hadn't even started unloading yet... utter madness.

Man of Honour
Why at half a tank though. I always fill up to 100% and let it go down to reserves. Otherwise I'd be filling up every week and that time would add up.

I live fairly rurally so there is that. Also fit it in with other stuff like shopping so doesn't really add much time wise.

Caporegime
Most of the fuel stations I passed today had signs that they were out of fuel - one seemed open but few cars so probably out as well.

Talking to my colleagues one of the problems is they run with bare minimum of fuel so when something like this happens they are screwed if they don't fill up as well. I'm surprised how many stated they rarely have more than a quarter tank normally.

Personally I'm rarely below half a tank.

I do a lot of miles and fill up every 5-6 days. But I am always down to under 20 miles when I do. Filling up at quarter full would just increase how often I have to fill up and its a chore.

Associate
I filled up half a tank on Wednesday reluctantly as my replacement car wasn't ready till next week, hopefully this madness will pass soon.Have seen a few videos of people filling up jerry cans and even plastic bags has made me chuckle but I still can't fathom how stupid people become when faced with a little uncertainty.

Other than the traffic around petrol stations I've really enjoyed the peaceful driving back from a funfair today as the driving standards have suddenly improved! Everyone must be watching their mpg all the time now.

Associate
Actually need some tomorrow. Usually get 150 miles to a tank out of motorbike. Got less than 20 miles range left and a 25 mile commute home in the morning, I pass eight petrol stations on the way home so hopefully one of them has some otherwise I’m not gonna be able to get to work.

Soldato
Made sure to fill my tank yesterday got in just before the ques only had 1 person in front. By the time I exited there was a massive que going down the road.
Can get 3 weeks of commute to work out of a full tank so hope people calm the hell down.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have a v8 "daily", but also a few motorbikes, so it averages out :D

Also, perhaps we should be angry at car owners in general, seeing as they are usually less fuel efficient than mopeds?

Can't argue with that.
I think that we've done maybe 20 miles in the last week in total for both of our of cars and will be out of the bikes (pedal powered) again tomorrow.

Soldato
Cobham services can hold a million litres of fuel.....They ran out last night!!!!!!

Stop panic buying you whoppers
Drove by South Mimms Services M25 around 7am today it had a large sign saying it was empty that's a massive services complex there probably another million litres of fuel but empty so early in the day :eek:

Soldato
Well I got caught, I'd not really watched the news for a while (as I'm sick of all the miserable news)... so I didn't know this crap was happening AGAIN for no apparent reason I can't fatham... so, I head off 20 miles away to sort my 2nd house out for sale.

Dopey here, realises the fuel light pops on... pops into Ellesmere Port (Irony as it's got the 2nd biggest oil refinery in Europe hahaha in Shell 1 mile away)... Shell off M53 only had Diesel no Petrol... goes to the next one... it did... massive queue and thinking wtf is going on. Anyway gets my place, "Maximum £30" letters on each tank. So, as I can only use Super... £30 nowadays gets you nowt with super at todays prices... and it managed to give me 19 litres... which in a 6.1 isn't going to get me that far... and they cut the machines off so no choice... 4 gallons ain't a lot really... drives home and passes two closed petrol stations...

All I can say is well done the Brits... we've excelled ourselves AGAIN.

Back
Top Bottom