Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Associate
955CCCDE-96D6-40B1-BDCC-78768458645B.jpeg

Look at that mess!

A421EF28-7571-439E-BA82-4514C8267FBB.jpeg

Where did you purchase these models from? Without naming it directly because of competitor rules of the forum.

Associate
I cannot access the SPD tab on my Legion 5 2021 (RTX 3060). Are you actually running your RAM in XMP mode? I'm with Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL16 but they're running at 2666mhz CL19 so any help would be greatly appreciated. They do need 1.35v to run at those specs.

Note: I have previously used a kit from Kingston at 3200mhz CL20 but it was 1.2v JEDEC, not XMP, and I also had no access to the SPD tab at that time.

Thank you

Caporegime
I cannot access the SPD tab on my Legion 5 2021 (RTX 3060). Are you actually running your RAM in XMP mode? I'm with Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL16 but they're running at 2666mhz CL19 so any help would be greatly appreciated. They do need 1.35v to run at those specs.

Note: I have previously used a kit from Kingston at 3200mhz CL20 but it was 1.2v JEDEC, not XMP, and I also had no access to the SPD tab at that time.

Thank you

The AMD based Legions don't support XMP so the Ballistix will only run at the JEDEC speeds. You will need to switch back to the Kingston.

When you say you can't access the SPD tab do you mean in CPU-Z or the BIOS?

Associate
The AMD based Legions don't support XMP so the Ballistix will only run at the JEDEC speeds. You will need to switch back to the Kingston.

When you say you can't access the SPD tab do you mean in CPU-Z or the BIOS?

CPU-Z. Weird how he can. Will the Intel version with the Ballistix though?

Last edited:
Associate
I don’t think there are any CL16 3200Mhz that work with AMD CPUs as you need XMP to be supported and its not support on AMD at all as best I'm aware. The Legion 5 Pro will default to the JEDEC profile only.

This is what I went for:

Kingston Fury Impact KF432S20IB1K2/32 32GB

It's CL20 and dual rank (there is a single rank version ending B2K2.

rainforest place?

Soldato
So second one... No dead pixel, buuuut huge amount of blacklight bleed from lower bezel. When I looked close, I was shocked that lower bezel was loose from the screen. Like wtf is going on? Then opened laptop to change the memory, There should be warranty void sticker on one screw (as my first pro had) and on this one this sticker is being removed, I can see it from a little piece left over and screw looks like its been handled pretty ruff. So I am sure that this laptop was sent back and it has been repaired. That explains poorly assembled screen.

I am stressed out to be honest. WHat a mess it is. Don`t know what to do next. Should I order third one or just get some other brand/model.

To all who have changed the thermal paste. When I first got the L5P temps where fine, but I was keen to replace paste for Kryonaut. What I saw was about 10 degrees higher temps. So I was sure I made some bad job replacing paste, but no. Changed paste 5 more times, no luck. Still higher temps than stock.
So now when I got second L5P I did CPU stress tests etc with stock thermal paste and temps where really good. Cinebench R23 highest was about 82 degrees.
After I saw that this second one is with defective screen I decided to try again to replace the paste, so I can see if I get worse temps again (what to lose here, sending it back anyway). Just to note, stock paste was really dry and was stuck to CPU and GPU heatsinks. Same as the first one.
So I did the paste change. And again I can see Cinebench temps at high 91 degrees, plus 10 degrees from stock.

My conclusion for thermal paste change is, just don`t do it. I don`t know what thermal paste they are using, but it is intentionally dry and stucked to CPU and GPU to get best contact etc.

Never ever have I seen this kind of thermal solution used with laptops. But if I could get this same paste from somewhere, I would be happy to test again.

Kryonaut is for Liquid Nitrogen cooling. I wouldn’t use it on a laptop. Get some Phobya Nano Grease Extreme instead.

Soldato

Thank you

Not sure. I know they need to run at 1.2v so will default down. The Kingston natively runs at 1.2v 3200 and CL 20 so work off the bat.

They are running at that according to cpuz and that profile indicates the 1st xmp profile is loaded. That's all I know.

Associate
Mines arriving Sunday as out of country until then . Get a massive discount thru work schemes on loads of places including the spicy place. so used them for 300 off the price.

Associate
will do :) touch wood it won’t need to be replaced but open to do so.

is there any major software issues o should know about effecting performance or is it quite clean out of the box.
Most of reviews say if u kill the icue service you get a massive battery life increase, just won’t be able to use custom rgb just standard , was an issue on last years model too that was never fixed

Soldato
For gaming, is there any point upgrading the RAM on the Ryzen 5800H?

e.g. I'm looking here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/features/ryzen-5000-mobile-ram-guide

About halfway down is the "Single-Rank vs. Dual-Rank" section with a graph of gaming performance.

I just checked my (default / factory supplied) RAM in the Legion 5 non-pro and it's showing as:

in1yz93.png

0x2Yg58.png

According to that graph, upgrading to DR is almost pointless for games (2 x 8GB in SR gets 89.93 FPS, the third highest).

UUZEcVp.png

Are you guys doing something that benefits from the RAM? Like Photoshop / 7-Zip / Handbrake?

Or am I missing something?

Caporegime
It's useful to post the Zen timings result as it will give the secondary timings. The Samsung you have is normally fine though.

Regarding performance there's multiple factors, dual rank was initially made out to be the big issue but actually I think it was the slow secondary timings of the crappy RAM Lenovo was shipping that was really hurting performance.

The best you can do at the moment is the Fury Impact CL20 dual rank kit as the Legion 5 Pro doesn't support XMP, so the faster stuff doesn't work.

Zen 3 is very sensitive to latency, particularly for gaming performance, and you can get latency down substantially just by changing RAM. This matters most when you're CPU bound, so if playing modern games at 1440P you won't see the same benefit of CSGO at 1080P for instance. Even at 1440P you get an improvement though, particularly in minimum frame rates.

Jarrod'stech seems to have done the most looking into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbryj294Cs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom